Old 01-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #1  
Jellybeanz

S/C/G: 253/241/140

Height: 5ft4in

Smile juicing

Hi there,

I have recently purchased a juicer to get more vegetables and fruits into my diet. So far, it's been quite easy, and I know i've increased the amounts that I am supposed to be getting to the right levels. I am just wondering if anyone else has done this, and if you could share your story with me. i am looking for nice recipes, if it helped you lose weight, if you replaced any meals with it. etc.

Thanks all
jellybeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM   #2  

I do not own a juicer yet..although I have found one at Sam's wholesale club I really like. I did however find a great book a B&N called The Juice Fasting Bible by Sandra Cabot, M.D. It has 59 juice recipies. It has specific health issues then it gives you the juice to use. I think it is one of the best I have found.

Do you find your juicer easy to clean..that is what concerns me?
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #3  
Jellybeanz

Default love my juicer

Hi there,

I have a kitchen aid mixer, with an attachment for juicing, I didnt use this at all because I find it so hard to clean. I went to Canadian Tire (Wal*mart sells them too), and I just got the hamilton beach one. Cost me $45, it's easy to clean, all of the parts, except for the metal juicing/strainer thing, can go in the dishwasher. I usually just rinse all the parts under the tap during the day, and then at night when i am finished with it for the day i either put them in the dishwasher or i wash by hand in the sink if the dishwasher isnt going to be set up that night. I started out with a cheaper one to see if i can change my lifestyle, and if i continue to use it, and it burns out, I will invest in a more expensive one. I do like this one though, and I've been juicing for not quite a week yet, but i'm doing good with it. It doesnt make drinks for "sipping"..i find i have to gulp it down, but it's not so unpleasant that I am gagging afterwards.

Oh..PS...i also find that i make a glass of mostly carrot juice before a meal and I am not as hungry..swear to GOD!!! it's like an appetite suppressor

Last edited by jellybeanz; 01-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #4  

Sounds good. The one at Sam's is around $100.00. It is quite large?? I do not have a dishwasher so it would be all me? I just keep reading all the great benefits of juicing.

I found my book in my pile..looked up a recipe for you. It is #33 in the book..Can help boost a sluggish metabolism and increase weight loss.

1 orange, peeled
1 grapefruit, peeled
1 carrot
2 stalks celery, leaves removed
1/2-inch slice ginger root
2 radishes
Pinch cayenne
Dilute by half with strong GREEN TEA

Let me know if you try it and how it taste?? Don't know about the radishes??
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #5  
Jellybeanz

thanks so much for the wonderful recipe, I'll have to try it...minus the grapefruit. Unfortunately I am on blood pressure medications and I am not allowed to eat it.

I am online right now looking for the book. they have a couple of juicing bibles by pat crocker, but i think i will look for the one you suggested.

Last edited by jellybeanz; 01-08-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #6  
Jellybeanz

Default it works!!!

ok, so i weighed myself this morning, and I've lost 5#!!!! I am so excited, it's working!!! the juicing is doing wonders for me.

Last edited by jellybeanz; 01-09-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #7  

WOW! That's great! Are you just drinking the juices all day? Or are you also eating? How many oz.'s a day? I need to get to Sam's!!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #8  
Jellybeanz

ok, i just went and juiced what i would normally juice and measured it...it's roughly 6oz, and i do this twice a day. So 12-16oz per day. I dont eat during the day. when i get hungry, i juice and drink...and really i'm only hungry 2 times a day. For supper, I have a sensible meal, and when i first started i would have a big 8oz glass of juice before my meal, mostly carrot, and i hardly ate anything for supper because i was full. I think i'm not hungry because I am still "eating" it's just in liquid form. I freeze the "waste" from the vegetables, and lastnight i put them in with my lasagna, couldnt taste the vegetables too much, but all the fiber was in the meal, there was even a bit of cabbage, and my husband ate it (shhh...he hates cabage!!)

PS...i've just figured out that if i just juice some plain water after im done, i dont have to completely take apart the machine during the day, just empty the bin that collects the "waste"...and then wash really well at night
Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #9  

Hey...that makes me think of a cookbook I got for Christmas from dh. Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. It even has a lasagna recipe. I really like it..sneaky way to get in veggies into food. It is very well layed out also..very neat and easy to read.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #10  
Smartypants

what a great idea about "juicing" the water jellybeans! Cleaning mine is always such a pain - I think I'm gonna try that!
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #11  
Jellybeanz

hi there txangel, good to hear of someone else juicing!! how are you doing with it? do you have any special recipes to share that are working or what kind of plan you are on with it?

Today I am going to up my juice intake to about 18-20oz because the last two night i have been circling the kitchen around 8:00. I've been craving salt, probably because it's nearing that time of the month. Any ideas on veggies that will take care of that craving? I also think I'm getting a cold, and I'm feeling run down, HOWEVER!!!!! I dont know if it's the boost in minerals/vitamins that i've been getting, but I'm sleeping way better than I have in years!!
Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #12  
Smartypants

Talking

Well I’m still in the experimental stage LOL… I have the jack’s power juicer, and I must say I have been intimidated by it. I have a few recipes, of course I’m a mango freak, and melon, and guava – your tropical creamy fruits right, so I toss a mix in with a few carrots and celery. Vitamin Cs always give me a boost. Or I do a strawberry kiwi. And I also do the skins too, to get extra good stuff and fiber, on most stuff. I guess cause I only get organic fruits fresh I like to use them same day, so my juice is as fresh as possible. So I don’t do it everyday or all the time. Well another reason is it has been such a pain to clean. It was a housewarming gift when we moved last Nov, so I’m still learning the ropes. But it is SO divine!!!! A real treat for me.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #13  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I juice too, but I don't own a juicer I just use my blender. i juice mostly fruit and then add in some veggies. Can't even taste the veggies! jellybeanz, what is that recipe you were talking about with the carrots? You said it suppresses your hunger. I would like to try that!
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #14  
Jellybeanz

hi there,

I got a simpler juicer to start with, some of the ones I saw on the shelf intimidated me too, and since I was paying for it, I figured i might as well get one that i think i can work with

Im a little worried about doing too many fruits in my juices because of so much natural sugars. Unfortunately I have to wait for the summer to get all the good tropical fruits imported (they dont grow so well in the winter in canada lol) We have kiwi, and some melons, but right now the prices are just sky high for all of that, so i buy a bit at a time and stick to mostly veggies.

WELCOME Perduegal!! So excited that I've picked up some friends along the way. My recipe for the carrot juice...is one HUGE carrot,(you should get about 1/2 of a cup of carrot juice) 1/2 an apple(remove seeds because apparently they arent good for you), 1 rib celery, 1/4 of a cucumber and sometimes I put in 1/2 an orange. I dont like the taste of the cucumber very much, so the apple really helps to mask the flavours. Sometimes i just put a whole apple in and forget about the orange. It seems to me that the more carrot i have, the fuller i am, today i did two huge carrots, and got a cup of carrot juice.

As i am still in the experimental stage, I usually start out with a carrot or 2, then i add one thing, and taste it, and then another, and taste, and so on. I have even added some green pepper and cabbage and liked it.

Last edited by jellybeanz; 01-11-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I've been into it for a while. A couple times I year I will do a juice fast sort of like you describe doing. It isn't for weightloss, but for my own mental and physical (and sometimes spiritual) well being. I own a Jack Lalanne and it has served me well (for $100 I can't complain). I clean it with warm water mixed with a little dishoap aside from the dishwasher runs. I also make "green" smoothies in the blender (blueberries, OJ, lots of spinach, psyllium) and have learned to add some of the pulp back in for fiber.

Jen's "V8"-
2 small-sh carrots
3-4 stalks of celery (depending on how water-dense they are)
1 tomato
Lots of fresh parsley (makes such a beautiful green color)
*sometimes I add a 1/4 of a beet- it sweetens it up quite a bit and is SO good for you.

I add a little hot sauce and it's good to go!

I also like tropical juices (oranges, apple, mango, carrot).... apple added to anything will automatically make it a sweet juice.

Last edited by junebug41; 01-11-2008 at 12:11 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote