Old 01-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #1  

Default I think I need *mental* help.

I've now been back on LAWL for a week... AND I CRAVE FAST FOOD!!! And not the plan approved fast food. For instance, last night, I was actually sitting in the gym parking lot getting ready to go in, and my husband calls. Well, by the end of the conversation, I'm in the McDonald's drive thru, because together we decided that's what we wanted and forget the diet, we'll start again tomorrow. I CAN'T KEEP DOING THIS TO MYSELF!!!

I know it's all in my head, because still last night after the Value Meal #2 settled in my stomach, I went back to the gym (same parking spot as earlier...ha!) and walked on the treadmill for 45 minutes making up for it. I feel guilty after I eat it, but its like I need the immediate gratification that fast food gives me. AHHHHH! So frustrating!

I've done well today, and tonight we are going to have a meal on the plan. But, who knows when the next easy way out is going to creep up. I know I'm human, but this is what made me overweight... How do I stop it?
brittanyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 226/184/130

Height: 5'1 (ish)

I am a total fast food junkie, so i feel your pain. i had mcdonald's a little while back, and it just left a lump in my stomach, and i felt kinda yucky afterwards. now, i just try to remember that lumpy feeling whenever i want to eat something like that. It helps! Now, if i can only do that with candy, pizza, and taco bell, i'll be doing really good! :O)
emberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

ok would it help if you had a print out of all the bad stuff in fast food available in your car so when you get those cravings you can just look at whats in the food you are about to eat and decide for forget the idea? Do you think that would work?

I dont do day by day because its always going to be "well i'll start over tomorrow". I just can do that to myself because in the end i'll end up losing and i dont mean weight. You always have to remember that you are doing this for you and its just food. We're all here because we're not happy about something in our life and food led us here so why indulge in it? Its soo not worth it.

So here's the choice. Do you want to be unhealthy but happy for 5-10mins or do you want to be healthy & happy forever.

Sorry for going on. WTG on being POP today and resisting temptation.
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'6

It's crazy how much you sound like me. I also think I may need some mental help. I seriously diet for a day or so and then everytime something makes me eat like crap. Its crazy b/c I feel completly guilty afterwards and beat myself up about it for days. I cannot understand why I keep doing this to myself. Every day I wake up, ready to start over praying that this is the time it sticks. It never is. It also drives me nuts that three years ago I was able to loose like 75lbs. Now I just want to loose like 30 and can't do it. I am interested to see what some of the suggestions are that you get from this post.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
iowa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

Self talk, serious self talk is what you need to get going in your head.
You know that little voice that is telling you that it ok to go off the plan just this once....

Here is one that works for me, but you must also come up with some of your own.

I had that (food) before, I know what it tastes like, I will have it again someday, just not today.....

Another

To keep my body in a fat burning mode, I must stay on plan. Not jump in and out of the plan. The plan works. I have to let it work consistently.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 62.5 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Brittany, I think we all have our weak moments. The first thing to do is just acknowledge that it was not a good thing, but then forgive yourself. Figure out how you managed to end up in the drive though. I think you have to get out of the mindset that this is a "diet" that you can go on and off. And start thinking this is the rest of my life, how can I manage it so I'm not spending the rest of it fat. Since I think we've all tried fat and found that we did not like that.

I do get influenced by my DH too. He goes and drives through the Burgerville drive through and brings home stuff he knows I shouldn't eat (it is harder for me to say no to food we already paid for). I feel SICK after and not just emotionally, but physically poisoned. If you eat healthy for long enough your body will rebel when you feed it junk.

So anyway, think of the health of your DH. If you can't say no for yourself, imagine how you are going to feel when they are wheeling him off with a heart attack, even if it is 15-20 years from now....
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #7  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

Brittany.......I agree with what everyone else has said to you.......but I do want to add.......if you are feeling really down, guilty, and/or out of control, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with reaching out to a counselor or a doctor. Habits are so difficult to change.....and there is soooo much help out there that we don't utilize. I am not suggesting that you NEED to seek counseling and/or medical help........I am just suggesting that it is not horrible or abnormal to do so. Getting professional help does not make you a crazy person. The stigmas attached to mental health treatments are RIDICULOUS. A wise person is one who realizes they need a little extra help from time to time. And, you would be sooo suprised to find out how many others not only feel the way you feel, but have reached out for professional help (ME ME ME)!!! Don't ignore your intuition.........do whatever it takes to ensure your health. And don't put off what you can do today until tomorrow. Being overweight is a huge (sorry about the pun....sometimes I just can't help myself) health risk, and if a counselor, doctor, or life coach can help you eliminate that health risk......it's a win win.
XOXO
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #8  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Find a good weight loss hypnosis CD. The "Self Hypnosis Diet" is a really good one. Listen to one track a day. It really helps your subconscious to get rid of these crazy cravings and feelings.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

You know... I bet all the positive self talk is kind of like self hypnosis.

I think I added health warnings into my self talk, as they were strangely missing before. I grew up with a family of fatties.

Not that I think you are huge, as you are about the size I started at (I was 215 at my highest actually seen on a scale weight which was after I had fasted for 2 days, so we don't want to project how high that might have actually been). But I went and did some research and decided that there were significant risks with staying that weight and I needed to change.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #10  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

I remember a book I read that said something like, if you smell popcorn or fast food, or pretzels, pizza, whatever, and it makes you crave.. They tell you to train yourself to think "that's the smell of FAT". LOL - sounds silly, right? But it works pretty well for me. Smells good, but it's the smell of FAT, tastes good, but it's the taste of FAT.. Plus, I try to remember how I felt AFTER eating it, like the grease was coating my stomach, and old, dirty grease.. I'd always feel horrible and queasy.. Gratifying at the MOMENT, but after the self-loathing and nasty feeling in the stomach isn't worth it. I agree with everyone that suggests 'self-talk'.. You need to remove the excuses and stop letting the food control you. Easier said than done, but you CAN change your thinking and gain better self control.
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

If you have not seen "Super Size Me" go out and get it now. The reason you crave fast food is because is is designed to make you crave it. Think cigarettes and crack. The sugars, processed flour and salt is highly addictive to our bodies.The cause of those cravings is built into our genetic code. Food was not plentiful for our ancient forbears. Eating calorie dense foods was important as they may not get another meal soon. So calories were more important then nutrients.
In our society food is plentiful. Our next meal is guaranteed. In fact it is guaranteed to be huge and over filled with calories, but many of us are still genetically linked to ancient mans drive for calorie dense foods.
When people like us diet we need to relearn our eating patterns and realize our tendency toward calorie dense eating or we will regain our weight in no time. The way you eat when you diet is how you will be eating for the rest of your life or you will have wasted all this hard work.
That said I am not a fast food person but when I first started my diet I craved McDonald's cheese burgers and fries for several weeks. I had a situation much like yours where I sat eating Micky D's in a dark parking lot. My cravings have subsided and I plan on not letting them back in.
It was fine that you let yourself eat the #2. It did not win your spirit. You learned that it did not fill your true need.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 AM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

Good points Tuesday. Super size Me is an excellent suggestion for viewing.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #13  
Kelly

S/C/G: 216/180/150

Height: 5'5"

What great support and ideas just on this thread alone. Brittany, you are certainly not alone or we wouldn't be here with you. A friend of mine who lost a lot of weight said she just kept repeating over and over, once she lost all of her weight, and to not go back, that "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels" and I find myself thinking the same thing in trying not to cave to my weaknesses. Certainly easier said than done sometimes, but a good thing to add to a running list of reminder of why you are committed to losing weight.
One of my darkest moments was sitting in a parking lot eating a conconction from DQ (Sorry!) and crying the whole time I ate it...very low moment, but you do learn to move on and learn and try never to go back. I had never thought of the Hypnosis CD...I think I should find one of those for positive reinforcements when I can't jump on the computer and find solace with all of you.
StevenBensMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #14  

Thank you so much for all your help and advise. It really helps to hear that some of you have been in the same boat. I believe that overcoming any habit makes your mind stronger, and that's what I've got to do with this. I've amazed myself already in that I've been at the gym 7 of the last 9 days and actually had a pretty great workout all 7 times.

I want to look smokin' hot for my sister-in-law's wedding in July, so that is my motivation. I need to just tell myself that everytime I want to eat poorly.

I do have a 30-40 minute commute everyday, so I'm going to look for one of those CDs... Thanks for the tip.

side note: this is the dress I want to look smokin' hot in... in a size 10 or 12 of course...

http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/s...00894&R=WDD085
brittanyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #15  
Post-Master

S/C/G: 235/213/150

Height: 5'7"

awesome dress!!!!!
Mama Nicole is offline   Reply With Quote