Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #1  
Im a work in progress!!

Default For those on Low-Carb

Im curious to see what a typical day of food looks like for people doing low carb. Currently im just counting calories, but I dont think its working as much as I would like. I have both the Atkins and South Beach book but I just want to see what normal people eat each day who do low-carb. I've tried Atkins once, I only lasted about a day. But I was eating tons and tons of bacon, steak and eggs. And it was making me sick.
Also when you eat salads, what kind of lettuce is it, what do you put in your salad, and what kind of store bought dressing do you use?
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't low carb (actually I high carb) but I eat plenty of salads

I usually use romaine or spinach in my salads.
I eat plenty of veggies including celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. You can add whatever low carb veggies/items you like. Salads are really versatile.

I also use salsa as my dressing. Its low calorie and low carb.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #3  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I probably go over my carb limit by a bit, but I'm still losing so I don't sweat it.

Breakfast - 2 hard boiled eggs and a slice of cheddar.
Lunch - 2 cups salad (just endive, romaine, boston, whatever looks tasty) chopped w/ .25 c shredded carrots and .25 snow peas; chicken and cheese wrap with a lo-carb tortilla
Dinner - fish/chicken/pork, stir fried or steamed veggies, 1 cup salad, some cheese.

If I get a sweet tooth I put 1/2 of pressurized whipped cream into a cup, and top it with some cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa powder.

For a snack I'll have cheese or eggs.

For the salad, I use either olive oil/salt/pepper or no-carb ceasar ranch. I tried a new one today that was nasty (olive oil and red wine, bleh).

Last edited by Altari; 01-10-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: boredom
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl18 View Post
But I was eating tons and tons of bacon, steak and eggs.

yuck!!!!!!!! no wonder you were sick!!! Eating the Atkins way isnt all about bacon, steak, eggs, cheese and butter. It is high protein and low carb, with a bit of fat tossed in to keep you full.

Personally I eat alot of chicken and fish, with either a veggie or veggie based soup. Im not a big salad fan I try to limit my cheese to not more than 3oz a day, and this week I switched to the low fat mozza cheese. I only use butter on my veggies, and keep my bacon rations to real bacon bits, cuz I'd eat the lb of the stuff if I didnt

I dont really eat sweet stuff when Im on atkins. I put sf caramel in my coffee with a few sprinkles of cardamom I love my coffe this way. But thats it, anything else triggers cravings.

I post my menus on my blog if your interested, link is in my siggy.

Last edited by RobinW; 01-10-2008 at 03:25 PM.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:32 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Breakfast: Hard Boiled Egg or Cheese Omelette (1 oz. cheddar cheese), 3 links of breakfast sausage or 3 slices bacon, Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control Yogurt,herbal decaf tea with 1 Tbsp heavy cream

Lunch: Salad (Romaine lettuce mixed with baby spinach) with sliced cucumber, cold cooked broccoli florets, scoop of homemade tuna salad (water packed white tuna, old bay seasoning, Mrs. Dash onion & herb seasoning, mt olive splenda sweetened sweet relish, mayo) or cut up grilled chicken breast, 2 Tbsp ranch dressing

Dinner: Fish, Chicken, Beef, Pork...any type of meat with veggies from the acceptable foods list.

Snacks: String Cheese, tuna salad or hard boiled egg

Plenty of water
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #6  

I keep my total carbs below 25% of my total calories. I am not Atkins, but low carb and eat all proteins, veggies and fruits.

My typical day:

Breakfast: 1c egg whites w/salsa and 1oz cheddar cheese
Snack: 2 hardboiled eggs post workout
Snack: 1 banana, 4 oz cottage cheese
Lunch: salad, chicken breast, blue cheese, sometimes olive oil; 1c blueberries, 12 strawberries; 6oz nofat yogurt
Snack: 1 apple, 1 EAS carb advantage protein shake
Dinner: steak, asparagus
Snack: fruit or low carb protein drink or protein bar (Atkins gets my sweet fix)

Now, I eat 6-7 meals because I'm up at 4am. Also, I eat every 2-3 hours. I'm never hungry and don't have a sweet tooth anymore. Works for me!
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote