Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

Default Just started Celexa

I started taking Celexa today so obviously no change yet... its a rough night.
I just have some questions for those of you who are or have been on it...

1. How long did it take for you to start feeling its effects?
2. Was it helpful to you?
3. Did it cause you to gain or lose weight? (I have heard both)
4. Any other adverse effects?

Any help is appreciated, its my first time taking antidepressants.
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/163/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

Hey. I have not been on Celexa, but have been on several different anti-depressants over the years. I have an anxiety issue that is treated with depression medicine.
I took Zoloft for about 10 years with no problems. However, it stopped working so I was switched to Lexapro (which is made from part of Celexa). I believe it is a newer version. I gained about 15-20 pounds immediately. But, the medicine works great, so that is why I am now trying to diet to lose the weight. I believe weight gain has to do with each person. My sister takes Celexa and she did not gain any weight. My aunts take Lexapro, like I do, and they did not gain weight.
It will take a couple of weeks to start feeling better. I always hate the beginning of new medicine. It usually takes several days before I can function. Good luck.
cougarscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #3  
I'm a mess!

Height: 5'2''

I've been on Celexa (for anxiety/panic attacks) for 10 years, and it took about two weeks to kick in. I've often thought that it has played a role in my weight gain. I could be way off-base, but usually depressed people neglect to eat properly. (Don't they?) And I wonder if there's something in Celexa to boost one's appetite. In the past year, the doctor upped my dosage, and my weight is up even more.

But that's just my experience.
Miss Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #4  

Thanks for the info. did you notice a gradual gain or was it pretty quick? Maybe its just in my head but since I've been on it (4th day) I have been feeling a bit bloated and heavy...
Update: Also not sure if its working yet or if today is just a good day but I seem to be feeling not too bad today.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I was on Celexa for about 18 months. It was helpful with my depression, but we had to keep upping the dose until we eventually changed meds altogether. I don't think it caused me to GAIN weight, per se, but it did nothing to help me lose - it took my current meds to get my head in order enough to take charge of that issue.

What I remember most about Celexa is that about three weeks after starting a new dosage, I'd feel good most days - for a couple of months. Never totally steady, but better than I had.

Good luck!!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I'm on Celexa, too. I found the main side effect was nausea for about two weeks. After that nothing. It kicked in for my anxiety/depression in about 3-4 weeks. Good luck.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:32 PM   #7  

Day 5- Update: Not sure if its mental or not but I am feeling less anxious at least. Another bonus, I was feeling motivated enough to get myself to the gym today for a good workout. My goal for this week is to go 3 or maybe even 4 times which is a lot better than the once every 2 weeks (maybe) that I was doing before. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

It took 2 - 3 weeks to kick in for me and I did not have weight gain. I was on it for about a year - was the wrong thing for me because as it turns out I am bipolar.
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

I take Celexa for my anxiety and panic disorders. It took a few weeks to kick in. So far is the only AD I have found that works well for me with very few side effects (and is affordable at Wal-mart with their new $4 generic plan). My doc wanted to increase my dose since my anxiety was up around the holidays. That actually made it worse. I say give it a try and work with your doc to find the right dosing for you. It seems lately that this drug is gaining popularity somewhat, meaning, it appears that more are taking this with few side effects and good results.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #10  
Half-marathoner.

S/C/G: 175/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Hey there. I'm only replying to this because I've taken Celexa and it sucked for me. That's not to say it won't work for you, though! For me, it just made me so tired that I couldn't get out of bed. I swear it made me more depressed than I already was. I got off of it two weeks later and it was the best decision I could have made. I then started wellbutrin and I feel SO much better. I've been on it for about 4 months and I'm sticking with it. Good luck to you, though. And if it's not for you, don't settle for it, because there could be something out there better for you and your health. Take care!
Tara
thirty3zenlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #11  

:cheer2 greetings, my name is angela and i am new to the site so be patient with me i am still trying to figure stuff out.
I have been diagnosed as being Bi polar with some paranoia.
they have me on zoloft and risperidone ( after yrs of experimentation and being treated as a lab rat lol )
so far it works great i just hate the weight gain as with most anti depressants. I dont think that there isnt a anti depressant that doesnt have a side effect of weight gain, so there fore i just take it upon myself to get off the pity party about calling myself fat and doing something about it.
any opinions on zoloft?
thanks
angela in nc
pudin27263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:30 PM   #12  

Update: It seems to be working for my depression but the anxiety doesn't seem to be getting much better, does this make sense to anyone? Could it be possible that I need another drug to help control anxiety or another drug altogether to control both the anxiety and depression?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #13  

If I read your posts correctly, you have been on the medication less than 4 weeks. It takes 4-6 weeks to get the full benefit. When do you go back to the doctor? Are you also seeing a therapist? I hope you feel better soon.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

I agree with Quilter. It may just not be fully in your system yet. You can discuss with your doctor getting something temporarily (buspar, xanax, klonopin, ativan) to take for your anxiety as an "as needed" basis until its fully into your system.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #15  

I'm going to see her tomorrow, i'll ask her about something like that to help me out until the Celexa gets fully into my system. Thanks everyone, I have found this forum to be really helpful and encouraging.