Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #1  
Face down in Cabo!

S/C/G: WOE - Atkins

Height: 5'10

Default TOM Question and Cold Syrup

Hi Chicks,

I'm sure this topic has been covered before, but does your weight loss stop during your TOM? I'm on 5 carbs a day and nothing is happening. I'm really sick and not exercising let alone getting off the couch. Could there be carbs in cough medicine? It doesn't show on the label. I'm being SOOOO good, 5 carbs, that's it. So what's up???
CT Cabo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #2  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

I am going through that right now. I am staying in my calorie range and exercising everyday but the scale is not moving. Stupid TOM, not only do women have a harder time losing then men but once a month we have to deal with this. It has been my experience that I don't lose anything from a few days before until most of the way through my TOM. I think the body holds on to some extra water weight. I'm hoping for a few pound loss by the beginning of next week. Hang in there I think your hard work will show once TOM is over.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

Your weight loss does not stop during TOM. Because of water retention, any losses may not be reflected on the scale until TOM is gone. Most of us start to see a pattern of water retention if you watch for it. Personally I usually get a nice loss after it's over so I don't really dread it like I used to.

I don't watch my carbs, to me weight is all about calories in vs. calories out, so I can't answer the question about cough syrup. Isn't 5 a day crazy low even if you are watching them? A certain number is required just for your body to function properly. I'm sure somebody will know more.

Last edited by Robin41; 01-09-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
Your weight loss does not stop during TOM. Because of water retention, any losses may not be reflected on the scale until TOM is gone. Most of us start to see a pattern of water retention if you pay watch for it. Personally I usually get a nice loss after it's over so I don't really dread it like I used to.

I don't watch my carbs, to me weight is all about calories in vs. calories out, so I can't answer the question about cough syrup. Isn't 5 a day crazy low even if you are watching them? A certain number is required just for your body to function properly. I'm sure somebody will know more.
LOL, I was going to post the same thing...but yeah, I have no loss on the scale during TOM, but I'll lose a couple pounds in the day or two after.

And wow, you need more than 5 carbs, dear.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #5  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I often see a little gain actually - 1-2 pounds in the week prior - but it's gone like that, plus more when it's over. You get used to that cycle and I still get excited when "overnight" there's a 4 pound loss on the scale.

5 carbs a day? Interesting. What do you eat mainly? I've never low carbed it obviously - so I wouldn't have a clue what to eat!

And yes, I'd think if the cough syrup's not sugar-free there would be carbs in it, but not a lot.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #6  
Face down in Cabo!

S/C/G: WOE - Atkins

Height: 5'10

Hi Chicks,

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel alot better. I've got 2 days left, so I'm excited to see some loss this weekend if this is just water retention.

Nori,

To answer your question, I eat mainly meat and cheese. 0 carbs in meat, minimal carbs in cheese.
CT Cabo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Is this a plan you came up with on your own? 5 carbs seems pretty low to me too, but I don't know much about low-carb either. For some reason I thought even the induction phase of Atkins lets you have 20.

Period or no period sometimes your body will hold on to fluids & stuff sometimes. Just keep with your plan and as long as you are creating a deficit, the weight will come off.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:42 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yes, cough syrup has both carbs and calories. It is sweetened with sugar. They make cough syrup formulations for diabetics, so if you are really concerned about it, you can get a sugar-free version. I find they taste better anyway (not sure why...but I had to try one once because there was a massive cold epidemic in my town and they were sold out of all but the sugarfree cough syrup, and it was more palatable to me)
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

5 carbs is seriously low...is this a diet plan or did you just come up with a number? Especially if you exercise...you need carbs for energy, building maintaining and repairing muscle, etc. I have just never heard of anyone going that low.

Also, if you are eating a lot of meat and cheese, do you watch calories? Cheese has a ton of calories and if that is your main source of food you could be eating too many calories and that can stop you from losing.

As far as TOM, it's just water retention, as everyone else said, you'll get the loss when it is over. I wouldn't worry about carbs in the cough syrup, seriously, just get better so you can get on with it, ya know?
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #10  
Smartypants

Unfortunately my TOM involves at least a three pound gain in the days prior EEEEK! Yes it is true :sniff: I have seen up to 5 lb gains before. But see, the beauty in that is, it goes back down if you are good, and secondly - at least with me - I've noticed a big drop when Aunt Flo takes her leave, cause it shows my weight minus the bloating, plus the actual loss
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #11  
No description available.

5 grams of carbs? Or 5 servings of carbs?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote