Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Just say no, just say no.

Ok.
So. The office goodies have been having their way with me since about thanksgiving. Even the past few days while I've been getting my groove back I've still been grabbing a 'hershey kiss in passing' but not today.
I haven't had any...
now someone sent ANOTHER bag of goodies (cookies, chocolate bark etc) to the office to 'thank us'
It wasn't to me so I can't just throw it out so i need to just avoid it.
cookies bad, cookies bad.
I figured if i said it here it will help me steer clear of the cookies. 4 more hours.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #2  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

NNNNNNnnnnoooooooooooo!

There...did that help??

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Step away from the cookies

Are you gonna allow yourself to be weaker than a brainless piece of flour and sugar?

You know it's not gonna taste good enough and then you'll just feel bad!

It is not the heck your cookie!

Whew! Hang in there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #4  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

You can do it!!!

I 100% agree with you. My willpower is ZILCH. I can't have a "taste" like the apparent rest of the free world!

COMPLETE AVOIDANCE IS KEY.

Just don't go near it. Stay totally away. Put those blinders on, Missy!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Just think about how the cookies will effect the rest of your day. They will taste good for about 3 seconds and then later they will make you crave more sugar. Better to have something with a bit of protein that will serve you better!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Sandi, I keep seeing people say that, that eating a sweet will make you crave more sweets. I've never heard that before. Is that proven, or just based on people's experiences? It would definitely explain why it's easier for me to say refuse outright than to "just have one" (ha!), but I never thought about it terms of sugar cravings before.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Well, what I have read is from the "You on a diet" book...it says "You're avoiding simple sugars in foods not just because of the calories but because they induce highs and lows in blood sugar that put you into a cycle of craving more high-calorie food." Hope that helps.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #8  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

Sunshine - Try to imagine that the cookies have mold growing on the bottom, or maggots crawling inside them. Someone once said that on here and I think it is a good idea. Now I just have to remember to use it myself when I am tempted by sweet treats I shouldn't be having.

I am DEFINITELY one of those people who finds that something sweet can bring on cravings for more 'naughty' stuff. I actually find that I crave highly processed carbs rather than just any old sweet stuff. I don't even think about chocolate, but I could certainly do some damage to cake and cookies. That is why I am someone who prefers to not have those types of foods in the house to tempt me. I also make sure I have something healthy to snack on if there are temptations at work. At least then I still get to 'nibble' but it doesn't cause too much damage.

Good luck with the battle with the cookies.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Sunshine, how are you doing with the office treats? Sending willpower vibes your way.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Height: 5'6"

I'm waiting for the "office goodies" to stop coming in, too! It seems that a couple of coworkers are bringing in the stuff they don't want tempting them at home...but so far I have been able to keep my fingers off! Well, I did pick up a dark chocolate off the evil cookie tray that showed up yesterday -- but it's still in its wrapper, in my desk drawer. I'm challenging myself to see how long I can keep it there...
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

You did it! Each time we resist, we build up those will power muscles. Give yourself a pat on the back and remember this success the next time you are tempted.
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

well gals, I survived.
I had a rather triumphant day. I at one point reached into the bag while i was making some coffee and grabbed a little nibble of a brownie....literally a crumb...but still i realized what i was doing and spit it out...i don't even think it hit my tongue! I just stayed out of the kitchen area for the rest of the day! I knew i didn't want it so that made it easier.

The rest of the day was an absolute triumph!

I had an event to attend last night...and I really can't remember the last time an event didn't turn into an all night bar hop...but I kicked butt....I ate at the office before I went... I had one little taste of something at the event...I'm not sure what it was but it wasn't good so I was sort of disappointed. Hey, if I'm going to let myself have one small thing at an event I want it to be good. The rest of the food didn't appeal to me at all so that was easy. I had 3 glasses of wine throughout the event (over about 4 hours). I know, some people say woah 3 glasses, but I've got a booze history.... I can drink 2 glasses of wine just opening the bottle. 3 at an event over time is major control for me...and i planned for and accounted for all the calories.

I had a snack when i got home (at 10:00PM! I never make it home before 2am on event nights!) and came in right around my calorie range!

I came into the office and someone has now dumped a whole bag of those giradelli caramel chocolates in a a bowl in the kitchen...next to the bags and boxes of other things. I finally said it in passing...who dumped more crap in here it's piling up....maybe it's time to start getting rid of things....

today is right on schedule!
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5 feet 1 inch (in shoes)

People are just bringing these things to the office because they don't want to eat them alone. They know it is bad for them, but if they think that others will eat it with them, it takes some of the guilt away from their own bad habits. "Yes, I ate it , but so did everyone else." Don't stoop to their level, love your self enough to day no and let them keep their empty calories.

I think your "who dumped more crap in here" comment hit the nail on the head!
okiechick is offline   Reply With Quote