The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #1  
it's always something

Default ANSWERED Ask a Dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Bigges Loser!

Great news! Extra Gum has teamed up with the Biggest Loser TV show, and are offering their spokesperson to 3FC members for a week! Molly Gee, RD, has more than 25 years experience in health and nutrition communications and the clinical management of obesity. Ms. Gee is a dynamic leader in the American Dietetic Association (ADA). She is the co-founder and 2004 chair of the ADA’s new Weight Management Dietetics Practice Group, and is on the organization’s Obesity Steering Committee. Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions about nutrition, weight loss, or even the Biggest Loser!

Every member that posts a question for Ms. Gee will be entered into a random drawing for a Biggest Loser DVD or book and Extra Gum! There will 10 winners with 1 prize per winner. Sorry, this is just for members in the US. If you don't live in the US you are still welcome to post a question, but you will not be entered into the drawing. The drawing will take place January 15.

Here's how it works.. Between now and Jan 14 you can reply to this post with your question. Please only post questions for Ms. Gee, as any other posts or discussions will be deleted. You are welcome to post more than one question On January 15, Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions!

This promotion is part of Extra Gum's Reveal a New You and you can learn more about it at http://www.gumisgood.com/extrarevealnewyou/

Thanks for participating, and we're looking forward to your questions!

Molly's responses consist of general advice and information for forum viewers. Her answers should not replace advice from a personal registered dietician or your physician. Always consult your physician before making any major changes to your diet or fitness regimes.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:10 AM   #2  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Good morning, Ms. Gee. Thank you for taking the time out to answer my question. I am looking ahead to when I each my ultimate goal weight of 120. I'm 4'11". I have read and seen so many different formulas for how to determine how many calories I would need to maintain my weight. I get a headache from trying to figure it out. Can you please tell me how many calories could I intake on a daily basis to maintain a weight of 120 lbs? Thank you.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 AM   #3  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

Oops--I have another one.

There was a question on The Biggest Loser forum in relation to water. Does water intake truly affect your metabolism? Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:42 AM   #4  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Good Day Ms. Gee. Boy what a wonderful opportunity you are giving us here and I am very grateful for your time.

I want to put an end to the debate once and for all, I realize the research on this is sketchy at best according to who you talk to. So I would like it cleared up once and for all, Low carb or low fat? Or right fat, right carb? Or is it really a matter of calories in VS calories out? When it comes to weight loss, what IS the answer?

And if it is as simple as calories in VS calories out, like the first questioner I too would like to know how does someone go about figuring that out? I would be happy to eat what ever calories work, or just eat low carb or low fat if I had the confusion cleared up!!!

Thank you so very much for your time!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Ms Gee, Thank you for your time!

I am 43 years old and in surgical menopause. I've also been diagnosed as insulin resistant. Following the Southbeach diet has allowed me to lose weight, however, I lose very slowly. I do periodically track my calories and tend to fall within 1200-1500 per day. Is there any safe way I can increase my weight loss? Can insulin resistance be reversed?

One additional question. I tried many diets before finding one that works well for me. There is an ongoing debate here on 3FC regarding whether it matters what type of calories are consumed. For some of us, weight loss seems to be dependent on how much sugar is consumed. For others, weight loss seems to be solely based upon a deficit in the amount of calories consumed versus calories burned. Why do some of us seem to be extra sensitive to sugar intake? Is this just a hormonal situation?

Thank you,
Rhonda

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-08-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Question How much protein?

Ms Gee,

How much daily protein is appropriate for a 158 pound, 64 year old, male who is doing resistance exercises 3x per week and walking 7x per week? My DW scorns those who advise me that 1 gram/pound/day is right.

Thanks,

Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #7  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

Good morning, Ms. Gee. Thank you for taking the time out to answer our questions here at 3FC.

I am 5'3, 204 lbs (today) and almost 41 yrs old. I have type 2 diabetes, being treated for depression and have asthma. My question is, How many calories, carbs and protein should I be eating every day to lose weight? My goal is 125 lbs. I try to stay active and do 4 to 5 days a week of cardio and strength training.

I've been doing a modified Atkins, but I am allowing the good carbs from fruits & Whole grains, with the occassional potato and I try and drink 100 oz of water daily, but usually do good to get down 60.

Again, thank you very much for taking your time to be here with us.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #8  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions Ms. Gee. My question is: I love my morning mochas and lattes. I make them at home using sugarfree syrups and skim milk. Should I be concerned with the caffeine hampering my weightloss attempts? Would it be smarter to cut them out or limit them?

Thank you again!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #9  
TBL - The Red Team

S/C/G: 247.4/204.8/165

Height: 5'10"

My question is: Is it healthy to aim for losing 2lbs a week? Is this even possible? I am 34 years old, healthy (although I had my thyroid removed because of thyroid cancer 2 years ago and take synthroid every morning). I am 5'10", medium to large frame and weigh 248lbs. With the right diet and exercise routine I wonder if I can reach my goal weight of 165lbs in 2008 or if that is unrealistic?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/250/225

Height: 5'10"

Ms. Gee,

I know we are all supposed to drink so much water a day. Is adding something like Crystal lite to water okay or should we just drink plain water to get the most benefit. I don't mind plain water but sometimes it gets boring.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #11  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Ms. Gee, thank you so much for sharing your time and expertise.

I would like to know what your thoughts are in terms of a whole foods vegan diet in terms of health and weight loss. I know that most trainers do not support this as the optimal way to lose weight, but do you as an RD feel it is healthy when planned correctly, long term, not just for weight loss?

Also, is it appropriate for a teenager to follow a well-planned low-carb diet (40 grams or so daily)? My 14 year old daughter's friends are following a low carb diet and I would like to know if ketosis is a safe state for a growing teen.

Thank you!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 283/Ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Ms. Gee.........I want to know what is the best workout routine for someone to do on a daily basis......to lose weight should we be working out every single day or is it more damaging to our bodies if we do that.....also I want to weight lift cause I want to be very very strong.....I am quite strong already but I want to be even stronger.......what is the best weight lifting routine that I could do and what is the max amount of days I should do it. Thanks for taking the time to come to our forum and answer our questions!!!!! Also on TBL how do they lose so much dang weight every week????
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM   #13  

Default Happy "New You" Year!

I'm excited to help you on your weight management journey. It's those consistent small steps that will result in a healthier lifestyle in 2008. See you on the forum next week.

To your health,

Molly Gee, MEd, RD
Old 01-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #14  

Molly Gee
Thank you for coming to answer our questions, I have 2 questions.
First I need to lower my cholestrol, especially my tryglycerides. I always thought I ate reasonably well, but is it worth it to switch to the margarines and other foods that claim to reduce cholestrol? I did switch to eating oatmeal for breakfast.
My second question is: I am a Diet pepsi addict. I drink 3-5 cans a day. I have given it up for long periods of time but once I try one again I am back hooked. I know I need to cut back and I am, but do I need to give it up all together? I like te taste and the caffine buzz, I don't drink coffee so it is my pick me up.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #15  
Be the change

Ms. Gee--Thank you so much for your time and support.

I've been reading Jillian Michael's book Winning by Losing. My results from the metabolism test in the book say that I'm a Balanced Oxidizer and should balance my food intake with 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, & 30% Fat.

I struggle with keeping my fats balanced. They either seem too high or too low. What kinds of good fats (with examples of specific foods) should I be trying to include in my diet and what bad fats/foods should I avoid?

I need to lose about 55 lbs. I have heard that the two best ways to lose weight are either a low-fat diet or a low-carb diet. Can I really lose weight on a balanced diet?

Thanks!