Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #1  
On my way to FIT

S/C/G: 285/298/130

Height: 5'1"

Question Been on other message boards?

I have. Over the years I've been on many message boards and I have to tell ya, this one is (not really surprisingly) way different. This is the first time, ever, that I have felt comfortable being totally honest about my weight and appearance in an online community.

If you have been on other boards, then you probably know what I mean. A person doesn't have to lie about their weight - but if they're fat, most don't go out of their way to tell anyone. Just like out there in real life, there's a quiet discrimination against those who are overweight. People don't acknowledge their posts or don't take them seriously if they know they're fat.

It's cool to be in a place where my weight and appearance are important only in the context of having "Before" pictures! (Which someday I plan to proudly post next to my "Afters"!!)

Last edited by Eileen2bLean; 01-08-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Eileen2bLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #2  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

This is the only "health" online community I'm active on, but I do belong to 2 others. A public "Mom" forum and a private one as well. The private one is very personal, exchanging cards/gifts/calls/visits, since we've all been "together" since being pregnant together almost 5 years ago. (We broke off from the public one and formed a private buddy group) My DH calls them my imaginary friends!

I LOVE it here as well. It fills a need in my life that my family and "in real life" friends cannot.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #3  
Smartypants

Great question... I am a totally committed 3 fat chicks gal; I used to do Richard Simmons but just didn't find the kind of support I needed. Now I am totally not saying those members are bad, just that I didn't sense they were in it with me. I never did share my true weight with them. Richard even had me as a guest on his talk radio show, which was totally awesome to talk with him live. No one believed me at work LOL, not til I showed them the emails he sent me. I dunno, I just felt like I didn't belong there. I felt I didn't fit in. I came here, and lurked for I don't know how long, and I saw how everybody just reached out to everyone else, and it didn't matter what you weighed, there was no favorites or popularity contests; it's just a bunch of ladies from all walks of life, coming together to share one common thing: lose weight. I would LOVE to hear the story of how this site came to be, I bet its on here somewhere but I spend so much time reading posts, looking at pics for inspiration, and running my mouth that I just haven't had time hahaha. But I would so love to hear it..... cause this site is - at least for me - a God send. I really don't know where I would be in my journey or even if I'd be able to stick with this, if it weren't for this site.

So how's about that story.... any mods wanna share? hint hint! Or a link to the thread?
And ps - when I reach goal can I get one of those cute gold chicks avatar showing the pounds lost too? Just wishful thinking

Last edited by txangelgirl; 01-08-2008 at 09:09 PM.
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #4  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I know on the home page there's an "About Us" bit at the bottom. http://www.3fatchicks.com
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:17 PM   #5  
On my way to FIT

S/C/G: 285/298/130

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by txangelgirl View Post
And ps - when I reach goal can I get one of those cute gold chicks avatar showing the pounds lost too? Just wishful thinking
I think this is what you're referring to?

Click on User CP
Click on Edit Avatar
Click on the little down-arrow under where it says "Avatar Category"
Choose "Pounds Lost"

And there they are, all those cute little chicks.
Eileen2bLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #6  
Smartypants

Wow that's too awesome thank you!!!! All the little chickies!!!!

And how neat - what a story!!! Amazing how one common need between the brains behind this outfit led to this!!!!!!

Last edited by txangelgirl; 01-08-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I lurk on a few bodybuilding websites but most of that stuff is pretty hard core so I can't see myself ever actually posting there. I love that here I don't have to pretend to be something I am not. That I can share when I do great but also have no embarassment about doing poorly.

I also post regularly on the board from my old gym (in Canada). Mostly just what I have been doing training wise - but I like that 'cause my personal trainers at home can look at it & make suggestions. I know I can trust that kind of advice.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #8  
Smartypants

too right you are Lifeguard about the advise - too right you are!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #9  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Before I joined here back in 2005, I checked out a few. I found them to be rather argumentative, catty and competitive...and then I found my home!

This is the only health community I belong to, but I do use fitday to compliment it, like many others. I rarely ever even feel the need to venture outside our little 100 pound club! Right here with all of you...there's everything I need to feel special, powerful, beautiful and confident. AND I can always get a great laugh here when I need it too...because we all know what the others are going through

I also belong to one animal rescue board (talk about conflict!!!) and a Disneyland board

This place is the best there is for support, bar none.

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 PM   #10  
Lose Weight in 2008!

Height: 5' 3"

I just love online forums, but this one is the only weight loss one I am on. I am on a few Yorkshire Terrier forums, and run my own. We have over 300 members and we chat about our cuties.
BabyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I have been on two other "diet plan" specific sites. They can't compare to 3FC. Here, I find honesty, support, accountability....and tons of healthy and proven diet and fitness information. This site is definitely for those who are serious about changing their lives.... and I love it here! I credit 3FC for much of my success so far. My friends here keep me going.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:12 PM   #12  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I participate in one online community at a time - as my life changes and needs/interests ebb and flow. I left another community when I joined 3FC. I research, lurked, browsed, and stuck my toe in the community pool on several sites before I decided on 3FC. In all of my 22 years of online communities (yes - I have been a part of online groups since 1985), this one feels the most supportive and genuine. I love it here
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:03 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Ugh. I've been on other message boards (dirtbikes, triathlons, etc) and it just seems like a bunch of people trying to one-up each other. Someone always has a better bike, ran a faster 5K, or swims further than someone else. It just isn't a very supportive or "happy" environment. This is the only one I've every gotten involved in at all and it really feel like people care which is a hard thing to come by nowadays.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with the sentiments above - I've tested a few other weight loss / nutrition / exercise forums and none can compare with this one. They don't have the same feelings of genuine caring and concern, and it seems that there's always someone waiting on the sidelines to point out your flaws or mistakes.

I've also found that many of them have an influx of posts from people who don't have a problem and are just seeking verification that they are indeed rail thin (no offense to those without a large amount of weight to lose - I'm talking about people who know they don't have a weight problem, or are even underweight, but are generally posting just to flaunt their numbers).

This is the only forum where I didn't have to think twice about posting my real weights because I had no concern at all that I would be criticized for them or for my lifestyle choices before coming here.
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #15  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Awww, we are so glad you are all here. What you have said is sooo true. I have been here for many years and to say that I have been less than successful is an understatement. But every single time I "start again" I am cloaked with support, love and encouragement. 3FC Rocks!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote