South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Getting Discouraged

I suppose I shouldn't be. I think I'm just at a stall in the loss. Last time I went to the Dr. in Oct. I was 171lbs. My husband and I started SBD after Thanksgiving. I was down to 161lbs. after two weeks. The lowest I've seen on the scale is 156, and I was hoping to meet my first real goal of 149lbs by the end of this month. That number is important to me because that's what I weighed in May-June 06 when I found out I was pregnant. The past few days though, my weights been back at 157.6-158.8 so I seemed to have put on a pound or so. My daughter just had her birthday and we did eat a little cake but I'm wondering if the real culprit is adding the whole wheat back in. To be honest a we have a little bit with every meal.
So everyday my meals are like this :

Breakfast- Mini whole wheat bagel with reduced fat strawberry cream cheese, and coffee with sugar free creamer and/or splenda

Lunch- Turkey sandwich with pickles, mayo, low fat sliced cheese on whole grain bread

Dinner- Turkey burger or lean ground beef burgers on whole wheat buns or soup with chicken and whole grain noodles, or steak or chicken with green beans.

I don't know if it's the whole wheat or if it's just a normal stall but it's starting to get me down. I'm wondering if I should do Phase 1 over again but it's a lot of cooking and I really don't feel up to it. I'm also transferring to a different city with my job (closer to home) so I don't know if that has anything to do with my moods. Any suggestions??
CTripp924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

From what I can tell from looking at your menu, I think it's quite likely that it's the bread stalling you. If you are having a sandwich with 2 slices, and an entire bun, then that is 5 servings in one day. On full-blown Ph2, no more than 3 servings are recommended. 1 slice of bread counts as one serving. It's also important to be eating the right kind of bread. There is a thread in the FAQ on picking the right bread. A little bit of cake shouldn't cause you to gain anything.

Also, I only see a few vegetables with dinner. Remember, you should be eating 4.5 cups a day. If you are not having cravings, I don't think it's necessary for you to repeat Ph1, but I would definitely try cutting back on the bread and adding some veggies.

Also, don't get discouraged. Because you don't have a lot to lose, it will come off more slowly, but it will come off. You don't say anything about your exercise, but you might want to step that up or change it up as well.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #3  

Exercise consists mainly of chasing the baby. We have a recumbrant bike and I've been trying to do that even if just a few minutes at a time while reading or something. I'm trying to find some kind of workout video I can do at home, the only one I have is a few Carmen Electra Fit to Strip videos. Walking would be good but I live in an upstair apartment and it's a pain to get the baby ready and lug her stroller around. I've been thinking of investing in an MP3 player because I think I would walk more if I had a bunch of music to listen to.

I suspected the bread and the only reason I eat so much of it, isn't due to cravings, it's more due to ease of preparation. I like cooking but it gets tiring doing it all day and dishes and taking care of the baby and working evenings. I hate eggs so I'll be keeping the morning bagel but I suppose I can try to go back towards a phase 1 lunch and dinner.
CTripp924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

We all hit those walls sometimes (my last one lasted for weeks and I was completely OP)

Some things you might think about..for breakfast, try protein and vegs instead of "bread". For lunch, instead of a sandwich, have a big salad instead with protein and a lot of vegs, or if you do eat a sandwich, have only one piece of bread and really pile it up with turkey and vegs..like spinich.
Don't forget to add snacks too and lots of vegs for dinner.

Looking at what you put down that you have been eating, it may be that your body is doing that "starvation mode" thing. When I tried counting the calories I was getting during a stall, I realized I was eating WAY too little. When I upped my vegs and proteins, boom, it started falling off again. And that may be the case with you too...maybe?

Last edited by femmecreole; 01-08-2008 at 12:27 PM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #5  

That's usually what I do, I'll have one Ph2 meal, and the other 2 meals are basically Ph1 meals. I usually have my fruit for a snack, and some crackers with the other snack.

If it helps, I try to do a lot of my cooking all at once. I'll have a "cooking day" (usually Sunday), and make up a pot of soup, platter of deviled eggs, some 3 bean salad or roasted veggies, or marinated. then it's easy to grab these things when I'm looking for something. If I'm making something that freezes well, I'll make double, so I've go another dinner all ready to go in the freezer.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

To avoid hitting the bread too often, I like to hard-boil a bunch of eggs at the beginning of the week. I then just store them in a plastic container in the fridge. For breakfast I eat one hb egg, two slices turkey bacon (1.5 min in microwave) and have a serving of V8 or a salad if I have time. Some people don't like scrambled eggs, but don't mind hard-boiled or you could make Schmoodle's deviled eggs!

For lunch, I like to pull out a can of salmon and just mix that with olive oil and some seasonings and dump that on a bed of salad. If it's a good, hard workout day I may eat a 1/4 cup brown rice.

Finally, for dinners, I cook once and eat twice. I double up just about every recipe I make so that we can eat the leftovers the next night. Also, maybe look into crockpot meals. The San Antonio Tortilla Soup in the recipes section takes me 15 minutes to prepare in the morning, cooks all day and lasts DH and I about 4 days for lunches and dinners!!

I hope some of these tips help you. Here's hoping that you get through your stall quickly!

Last edited by Kim_Star060404; 01-08-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #7  
Woo! 1/2way there!

S/C/G: 186/156/135 (in P1...again)

i had a little stall when i started P2 and started making sandwiches with 2 slices of WW bread every day. after a week of no loss at all, i figured out i was overdoing it. i found some tortilla factory Whole Wheat Low Carb/Low-Fat Tortillas that are GREAT for everything from bean burritos to sandwich wraps. theyre a lot less carbs and calories than bread, so you can load up the protein in the filling.

we've also made the tortilla chips by cutting them into small wedges, spraying with olive oil and 'frying' in a non stick skillet. yay for chips and salsa again!

once i switched, i started dropping 2 -2.5 lbs a week again.

80 Calories
3g fat
19g total carbs
14g fiber
1g sugar
8g protein

Ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Oat Fiber, Soy Bean Flour, Cold Pressed Canola Oil And/Or Safflower Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of The Following: Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sea Salt, Yeast, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid, Calcium Propionate (To Maintain Freshness).
suzka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 258/254/180

I think its the whole wheat you have added back in. I found that I can only take in the whole grains in the early portion of the day or only a couple days a week. I find they dont burn off as great if I eat them with my dinner meals. You may want to give it a try. Dont give up as a provider I worked for once told me "You did not gain it over nite and you will not loose it over nite."
Danielle
dlm30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/156/123

Height: 5'2

Help! DH and I started Phase 1 5 days ago and doing OK I guess. Spent Sunday making quiche cups (with a little ham thrown in) for breakfasts. Made a pot of 15 bean soup (using only 1/3 bag) and lots of veggies. Cooked a turkey breast which we tried to eat within 3 days so sick of turkey!!! Also a large bowl of salad.
we ahve been walking 30-40 minutes around 530 pm or so and trying to get dinner ready so we can eat before 7. so far, so good.
bought a case of flounder (split one pc Tues nite) and a case of chicken breasts.
Been reading all posts and recipes and have been great help. Our daily "treat" is either a ff fudgesickle or ff jello cup. guess just burnt on food. need ideas on for sundays footballs game. thnaks
SAnativegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #10  

Be sure an look through the recipes threads for lots of ideas. I know we've had some threads on here before about munchies for parties etc. Maybe do a search on "football".
How about deviled eggs, cheese, raw veggie platter and dip, nuts...
There's a recipe for roasted chickpea "nuts" a lot of the chicks like.
And the broiled turkey pepperoni is popular.