Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #1  

Default any good bean recipes for bean haters?

I am not a picky eater as far as most foods go but I absolutely hate beans! However because they are so healthy I am looking for bean recipes where I might not necessarily be able to taste them. I see alot of veggie burger recipes and was wondering if you can actually taste the beans when you make them. Any recipes, tips and ideas?
Judy

Last edited by judyt; 06-27-2007 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Typo
judyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I've tried several bean burger recipes and no, you can't taste them
I got this really great bean soup recipe from my aunt: blend a can of white beans with 4 cups chicken stock , slice about two cups of onions and dice about 3 to 4 rashers of turkey bacon, fry them all in a pot then add the stock and beans mixture. I add 1/2 can of red kidney beans to the end but you can leave it out. add salt and pepper to taste and there you go. I love that soup I make batches and freeze it for later

Last edited by JigglyBits; 01-08-2008 at 06:07 AM.
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #3  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

This is a good one, and the beans are smothered in flavorful sauce, so maybe you won't taste them:

Indonesian Chicken

1 pound green beans, trimmed and snapped
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into chunks
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
2 teaspoons honey
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon red chile paste
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 green onions, thinly sliced

Place green beans in a pot fitted with a steamer basket over boiling water, and steam 10 minutes, or until tender but crisp.

Heat the oil in a skillet, and cook the chicken 5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.

Mix the chicken broth, peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, chile paste, lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until slightly thickened. Mix in the green beans. Serve over brown rice. Garnish with green onions.

*This could be made lower in cals/fat if you use Pam instead of the oil and less peanut butter. The nutritional info as written (without the brown rice) is:
324 cals, 14g fat, 383mg sodium, 17g carbs, 5g fiber, 34g protein

Makes 4 servings.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If you hate beans, it's okay. I hate cauliflower and I don't care if I ever eat it! If you really want to try, don't forget, the yummy sugar snap pea is considered a bean. If it's a texture thing, you might like a nice mashed up bean - like hummus (which is delicious as a vegetable dip or a smear for sandwiches).

Spinach Chickpea Leek Soup

This is SO good and so fast and easy to make - makes plenty for several days. Great to make on a Sunday and eat all week.

1 tbs olive oil
2 leeks, sliced thinly (circles)
1 zuchini, chopped
minced garlic (I use tons)
2 14 oz cans tomatoes
small can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3 3/4 cup veg broth
1 14 oz can chickpeas (gabanzo beans) drained
block of frozen spinach (thawed, drained)
1 tbs oregano
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
fresh parm cheese for topping

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add leeks and zucchini and cook briskly for 5 minutes.

Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, vegetable broth, chickpeas and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Shred the spinach finely, add to the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season to taste. (the longer it cooks on the stove, the better it is). Remove the bay leaf, sprinkle with parmesan cheese (if desired).

Quinoa Black Bean Sweet Potato Quesadillas

1 cup quinoa, washed/drained (use brown rice if you can't find quinoa)
1 large sweet potato
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic (I used more)
1 14 oz can of tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained
1 can green chiles
2 tbs minced cilantro
Some low fat cheese
Whole wheat, low fat tortillas
Salsa

Cook quinoa in 2 cups of water. When done, set aside.

While the quinoa is simmering, I cut up the sweet potatoes into small pieces (dice sized) and spray a cookie sheet with PAM. I bake the potatoes for around 20 minutes (shaking often) until they are soft and getting crispy. (if I don't have time, I nuke them for 5 minutes!)

Saute onion, garlic. Stir in tomato (crushed, with juice), black beans, chiles, cilantro. Add quinoa, potatoes. Season with salt and pepper (I added some red pepper flakes, because i like spicy). Stir and heat through. I've also started adding spinach leaves, they wilt down nicely.

Put in tortillas, add some cheese so it sticks together, grill on both sides. Top with lots of salsa. Made enough for 3 nights!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote