Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #1  

Cool Phentermine & Atkins

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and am glad to be a part of it. I'm trying to lose weight with atkins. One week into it I lost 5 pounds then nothing, its been 2 and half weeks so far. Everyone says the inches will come off faster than the weight, so I started exercising this week to really make that happen.

I just started taking phentermine today and I got a prescription from my doctor. I took it about 4 years ago and lost 50 lbs with it on a low fat diet.

So I would like to know, how many of you combined phentermine at atkins and were successful. I would love to know your results. How much you lost and how long it took you with phentermine and atkins together. Thanks.
latina10025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #2  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't know how many responses you'll get about this one. I think that the Atkins/Low Carb way of eating is all about getting there without the drugs. It's a way of life that has great results all by itself. Did you read Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution? Were you following Induction to the letter? I only ask this because if you're not really following the diet as described in his book, then you may have been putting things into your plan that may have hindered you. I don't know anything about Phentermine, and when I Googled it, I got some hits (through the spam) about it being addicting and almost like an amphetamine in the way it effects your body... So, I'd be careful about taking it, I guess.

I don't know how much you have to lose, but I'm sure JersyGrl will chime in here. She lost over 100 pounds on Atkins, and I'm fairly sure she just did it by the book--no surgery, no drugs, just good eating and exercise. But I'll let her speak for herself

I'm not sure if you've ever read Jimmy Moore's story (he does a radio show and has a blog called "Livin' La Vida Low Carb"), but he lost 180 pounds on Atkins in a year--without phentermine. Just some food for thought.

Last edited by Azure; 10-23-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200

Height: 4""11

i have been on that for about 2 years off and on. i have tried it with atkins and it did work. i just notice that the same thing that is happening to you, is happening to me too. i realized that i havent been doing good on inductions. i made a few mistakes. i have been on atkins as long as you have and lost only 6 pnds. now, im pms'ng and i feel so nauseated. i have to eat carbs, cause if not i feel really sick. AF is due 2morrow, so maybe it will go away.

rebecca
beckaboo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I don't know how much you have to lose, but I'm sure JersyGrl will chime in here. She lost over 100 pounds on Atkins, and I'm fairly sure she just did it by the book--no surgery, no drugs, just good eating and exercise. But I'll let her speak for herself
I'm not familiar with Phentermine but, this is what I found when I looked it up: " It is approved as an appetite suppressant to help reduce weight in obese patients when used short-term and combined with exercise, diet, and behavioral modification. It is typically prescribed for individuals who are at increased medical risk because of their weight and works by helping to release certain chemicals in the brain that control appetite.
Phentermine is still available by itself in most countries, including the U.S. However, because it is similar to amphetamines, individuals may develop an addiction to it."

Atkins is a very effective eating plan on its own when done correctly. If you do it exactly the way its written, your appetite will be suppressed. The key to successful & permanant weight loss is changing your eating habits for the rest of your life. My suggestion to you would be to read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, understand how & why it works and decide if it is something you can do for life.

As I said, I am not familiar with this drug...but...I would be extremely cautious.

All the best to you!!

Kim

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/205/150

I have been doing Atkins & Phentermine since the Sunday after Thanksgiving and up to today I have lost 10 lbs (that's 10 days today) I was doing ******* but I got too hungry! So, I went back to Atkins & started taking Phentermine. Atkins is great & when done correctly it suppresses your hunger. But, for me, I chose to take the Phentermine to help me through the most critical time of Induction & to make sure I didn't cheat until I was well into ketosis. I'm using it only for a short time, and for ME it was the correct decision. I feel really good about it.
journey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/257/145

Height: 5'4"

I too have started Atkins and am taking Phentermine but am having trouble sleeping at night, any suggestions Journey?
KatRDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Call your doctor.

But in the mean time, take them as early as possible.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #8  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

Hey I just wanted to chime in on this one. Up until yesterday I too was doing induction and phentermine. My doctor suggested both. I only had trouble sleeping the first night, every night since then I've felt drugged almost. My Dr. told me to take the phentermine 12 to 1 in the afternoon since most people have a harder time then. I haven't been feeling like myself at all! Yesterday was day 8 for me and I said FORGET IT! I've been so lightheaded I feel like I'm going to pass out. I have 4 kids one of which is a baby and I just don't feel so comfortable about being so unsteady on my feet. I also haven't had any energy at all! I am used to running on my treadmill -- a minimum of 25 minutes, and since I started this I can't even go for 15 minutes hardly. So I'm back to reduced calories and exercise. It's going to take longer, I know....But I personally couldn't handle the two!
Rocker Chick is offline   Reply With Quote