Old 01-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile Royal romp to Valentine's Day: Loving ourselves all the way to success

Let's maintain the festive season within our hearts, if not within our tummies. It doth occur to me that loving ourselves properly, taking care of ourselves and seeing that our real needs are met will keep us merrily on track, all the way to those goals shimmering up ahead.

We've got about six weeks to V-Day -- let's devote them to self-nurture. Establish a plan to love and call your own, at least until Feb. 14. Be sure to include frequent visits to the Palace, for the love and support of your Royal cohorts.

Let's do this thing -- in style!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #2  

Hmmm... nobody said anything about a snow storm but it sure looks like one out there. Maybe we've gotten to the point that they're only going to announce it when there's NOT going to be a storm. No wonder hibernation sounds so appealing!

But no, I have to stay awake and more-or-less functional. I did get my rest yesterday and a good night's sleep but still tired today. Walked for an hour and 10 minutes this morning, which might have been a bit too much. Seemed like a good idea at the time...

I've come to the realization that I need more accountability, which translates to ... journaling. And keeping my journal on the table so that there's a constant record, viewable by DH. The "If nobody else sees it, it doesn't count" theory has not been working for me.

So... my goals for the V-Day challenge:

Journal
3L water
Daily aerobic exercise
Daily mind-body exercise (yoga, tai chi, etc.)
Daily meditation
Daily FUN
Daily self-pampering of some sort

That's it for me -- how about you?
Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #3  

What a loverly idea - loving oneself is so underrated. I'm up for the self-pampering (at least in theory - practice is another matter but I'm working on it).

So I pledge to love me (in the best sense, of course) and take care of me and make everything as blissful as I can in my own little corner of the world. And to reward me in other ways than food and to try to get my sleep situation back to at least satisfactory.

Today's good so far and I think I'm going to take a quickie trip to the store for some "good stuff". Have some but bored with what I have - need something different..

So off into the bitter cold, I go, but no snow - sent it all to Arabella

Oh yeah, I'm going to work on that FUN thing too.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #4  

Don't forget about me!

What a great challenge idea! Really perfect timing for yours truly! Thanks for such great inspiration Wood Nymph!

Anagram-- if you are going to the store because you are bored then I know you are making real recovery progress!

Ceara--I'll send you some wax for your shovel! Just let me know if you need it!

So, here I go again.... on the wagon, smiling brightly, wishing everything tasted of chocolate.... but... things will improve....

In fact, things will be great in 2008!

Keep smiling!

and Happy New Year!
Kaylets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #5  
a work in progress...

Self nurture... hmm...this is a hard concept for a lot of us. I know it is for me. I always seem to be trying to get stuff done for everyone else: getting the house in order, buying groceries, making dinner, putting away Christmas stuff, etc, etc. There is always, in the back of my head, an idea for what I'd like to be doing, and it gets shuffled to the bottom of the priorites list til there's no time left for me. This is an excellent way to readjust and refocus and plan to do the things that make me happy!

So...looking ahead to Feb 14
...I'd like to be 10 lbs lighter than I am right now. I can accomplish this by continuing at WW, daily exercise, lots of water, sufficient rest and putting myself higher up on my list of those who need my care!

I just went back to find my vows from the last post so I could keep them handy:
  • Walk daily, to the point of obsession, as though my life depends upon it. It does.
  • Eat well. Stop clogging my system with unecessary junk. Fresh. Unprocessed. Pure.
  • Rest. Getting enough of it.
  • Spiritual sustenance: Read more. Take time for me. Enjoy life. Don't sweat the small stuff. Realize that this is it and make the most of the time I have

Anagram, I want to go take a peek at the Prevention plan...do you follow it at the website? PS, thanks for sending the snow to Arabella! Although, it would be somewhat warmer if we had gotten snow instead...good grief it's cold!

Your words about getting enough rest really resonated with me Arabella. I know that "I'm tired/can't rest/hmm, what can I eat?" scenario very well...

Speaking of eating it's time for lunch...and since I slept through breakfast, I am really HUNGRY! Lots to choose from, I took myself shopping to stock up on good stuff yesterday. This time around, I did not buy the "goodies" that I think the rest of the family wants...cookies, chips, etc. They don't need it either! Made a big pot of vegetable soup and cut up some melon to have ready in the frig. There's a start...

Hi to everyone else, come on out and tell all about how you'll navigate your way to 2/14! (I need all the help I can get!)

Have a great day s! Keep warm!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #6  

Smile Day 2, uh-huh

Still wiped, but in good spirits and totally determined. I've already walked to the gym and back, did the circuits there and ran my stairwell on the way home. I'm up to 8 flights running (not all out, but running) and two flights staggering the rest of the way up. Home for 40 mins and even some meditation. Now I've got to scoot out and do the shopping, get the recycling together (read: dig it out of the snowbanks -- thanks, Anagram ). I'm thinking that vacuuming is probably going to have to wait for tomorrow. Ah well, when the lights are dim and the tree lit for its last huzzah the carpet foofs won't be visible

Kat, me too! I think there's no reason I can't lose 10 pounds by 2/4.
Aiming for a little under 2 a week... totally do-able.

Re: the fatigue/push on/binge syndrome -- one of the most ironic things about it is that I probably spend as much time stuffing my face as I would getting that rest that I "don't have time for."

Anagram, yay for being able to run out to the store for less boring fodder whenever you want! Here's to a radiantly healthy and vibrant 2008

Kaylets, we could never forget you! Let's keep that kettle on in the Palace! Who's for a cuppa?

Off I go then. Have a triumphant day and a glorious evening, lies!
Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #7  
a work in progress...

I'm fresh from a gym visit, myself, faire Arabella! I didn't walk there, although, that wouldn't be a bad idea...weather permitting...it's about a mile and a half from home. I have taken my bike there in the past.

It was great! I went right from work, all ready with my sneakers and my iPod. New treadmills have the TVs built right into 'em with an iPod connection...I just may get DH back there with that kind of lure! I did about 35 minutes on the treadmill, and 30 minutes on weight machines...scoped out the new classes and really felt great about being back there. I really love going there; it's a great gym, close to home, has a nice mix of clients, old, young, fat, skinny... great classes...so WHAT is it that gets into my head and causes me to ... just... i don't know ... d r i f t a w a y...

That's the question. Must ponder while I'm in gung ho mode and keep reminding myself that THIS IS WHAT MUST BE DONE if I want to, once and for all, lose this excess baggage.

Yesterday I treated myself to a massage (loving myself!) ...which is always nice, even if the masseuse was less than stellar. The girl that I really liked to go to no longer works there, so I just picked a random name they gave me. Turns out the woman used to work where I work and felt the need to chat/gossip for the first half of the massage. Finally, I just stopped answering her and she got the hint. BUT! Before I went for that, I took a nice brisk walk at a local park. Fourth walk this week...significantly higher than total number of walkies in the last I don't know how many months!

Am hoping that all this newfound motion will yield positve results at tomorrow morning's weigh in... :

Arabella, your words could have come straight from my mouth:
...one of the most ironic things about it is that I probably spend as much time stuffing my face as I would getting that rest that I "don't have time for." How true.

BUT NO MORE! Time to pamper and spoil as we strengthen and nourish ourselves, for we are worth it!

Anagram, Kaylets...Since I missed the last fandango, I'm hopefully looking forward to a possible "Spring Fling" for us no'easterly types...what do you think?

Andria...hope you're enjoying the in-laws!

ceara, wsw, Eydie, Amarantha... I hope I didn't miss anyone...

Have a grand weekend, all...do something nice for yourself!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 01-05-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #8  

Red face Tracker adjusted

Happy Saturday, lies! Gorgeous winter day here, bright sunshine and not too cold. Had a nice hour-long walk this morning and a little yoga. The plan is to complete yoga later.

I came across a chef's recipe for what he called his "energy juice" -- a mix of fruit and veg. juiced or blended. I was actually inspired to get ingredients and make some. I've been hearing so much about the benefits of raw food and it occurs to me that such concoctions might be an easy way to get them. For some reason I'm finding this idea kind of exciting

So. I readjusted my tracker to reflect true post-holiday weight. 3 up from the low point, which, truth be told was a flukey, probably inaccurate 1 pound below my "real" low WI. Anyhoo, 2 pound bump up. It occurred to me that if I didn't adjust my tracker that I'd have to relose the two before I could start counting anything on the current challenge. Which I don't want to do.

Ok, I am officially boring myself now. Can only imagine what it must be like for my royal cohorts! I have to get some work done this aft. and the sooner the better. Have a lovely Saturday, Queenies!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #9  

Hey Kat! Simulposting to the minute.

Loving the new enthusiasm in the Palace! Huzzah! (and where beith Amarantha?)
Old 01-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #10  

Smile Tree's nekkid and at the curb

And so we come to the official end of the festive season. Kind of hated to see my big green friend go but he was getting pretty dry and pick-up starts tomorrow. One year we missed the date and had the tree waiting there on the lawn for a very long time, until DH took it for a walk to the park.

I went to a party for my sister's 50th today. Another of my many, many sisters was hosting and got a cousin's band to play. It was really good -- they're quite accomplished musicians. Apparently, he's an up and coming classical guitarist but they played a mix of new and traditional folk and some bluegrass. Some interesting arrangements of familiar tunes, guitar, mandolin and violin.

And. Not a single glass of wine or illicit item -- I did have one cup of mulled cider. Used a few points but nowhere near what I've got saved up from walking an hour this a.m. and doing 40 mins. yoga. I think I've finally shaken off whatever kind of bug I had that was making me so exhausted. I noticed that my cheeks had that bright red feverish look at one point so maybe I was burning out the last of it.

People were talking about how many pounds of chocolate they'd eaten over the holidays, including my skinny sister. I just can't get away with that kind of thing and I feel okay with that I guess at this moment.

Hope all lies are having a lovely, restful Sunday. See you tomorrow on Fresh Start Monday!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #11  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Wink

Well, I too braved the scale this am...not as bad as I thought..only up three over the holidays...but up a lot from last September. That being said, I am firmly planted back on the wagon

I managed 8 glasses of water yesterday...prolly due to the fact that cold mediction dries you out...and that is my aim for today. I am going to have some oatmeal and then off for a walk. Food was OK..nothing too horrendous. I made a chicken pot pie last night...the worst part was likely the pastry....an oil based one but easy..no rolling.

So, it is great to see the enthusiasm in the palace...and welcome to Andrea! Hope all went well with the in-laws!

OK...must be off. This won't happen by . I hafta do it!

ceara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #12  

Smile Fresh start Monday

Tired and snuffly again today -- probably did too much yesterday. So will try to be gentle with self today and get a little more rest, in keeping with the self-nurture theme. Tonight's the first choir practice for Mozart's Requiem, which we're performing on Good Friday. And a busy week in general so I'm going to have to take this "looking after myself" thing seriously.

I seem to be intrigued by the "raw food" idea, thinking how to incorporate more into my diet. It seems increasingly do-able. I made a green smoothie with kelp, watercress, parsley, cilantro, apple, lemon, grapefruit and ginger. It was actually pretty good, I swear! I keep thinking of other easy possibilities: gazpacho, for example. And I'm thinking I could switch to raw muesli for brekkies inst. oatmeal... I'm highly unlikely to ever go totally raw but I can imagine getting about half-way there without disrupting life at all.

Did the gym/walk/yoga routine this a.m. Glugged at least a liter of water so far. So ... meditation and some fun and I've got it wrapped!

Yay, Ceara, we're on for the ride. Even if we must expend effort rather than leaving it up to

Have a good day, Goilies! Step up and be counted, wontcha?

Last edited by Arabella; 01-07-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #13  
a work in progress...

Count me in...I'm here! Already been out for a walk, seen the eye doctor, made a few phone calls and now I'm ready for my coffee.

Light bulb moment at WW yesterday...I stepped onto the scale waiting for my "reward" for all my hard work of the past week. "Congratulations! You're down 1.6 pounds!" the receptionist chirped cheerfully. 1.6? That's it??? The disappointment on my face must have been quite apparent, because she asked me if I was happy with that. My immediate thought was NO! I'm not happy with only 1.6 lousy lbs, but I stopped. I caught myself and realized that that attitude is such a HUGE part of my problem, and I laughed and said "yes, I AM happy with a loss," and left it at that.

I am in this for the long haul. Whatever the scale says, I need to just keep doing what I need to do. Eat well, Move more, Love myself.

So...there's that.

Time for coffee...See y'all later!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 01-07-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #14  

Hello all....

Well, it does feel so homey in the palace..... sorry you have all the snow WoodNymph but..... I don't miss it.

DH and I both shook on gettting back on track and somehow that handshake
made it all real.

I experimented with having a chicken breast with Pepperidge Farm light bread for breakfast to see if I could last longer. I was also, super, super busy at work sometimes works for me too. Sometimes the deadline motivation keeps me focused on working.... When I got really starved I ate the apple I had and realized it was only 20 minutes before my usual lunch time so I will call that success.

No chocolate or sugar all day .... and I am on the way to shower and bed so I know I will have a solid day 1.

Yay!

What kind of water bottles is everyone using.? I am ready to cut back and hopefully elminate buying as much bottled water as I can. I really feel guilty about a, getting caught up in the marketing of "healthy"
and b, the recycling problems..... here in this area, recycling is very limited....
but my guess is, not so tough if some royal attention be focused.

Yes, Kat, I can relate to small losses being hard to appreciate. Try to enjoy the journey. I know for me, I polished up my patience skills.

Ok all.....

even though it feels like spring outside, I will say it......

KETTLE IS ON!
Kaylets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #15  

Angry Web Page Has Expired????!!!!

I was just finishing up a post and the page disappeared in a puff of smoke, leaving notification that the "page has expired." GRRRRRR! Right out of the blue. I hadn't even been lollygagging writing the post.

Brief recap:
Have walked and done yoga, will walk to sound yoga at lunch. Ate raw muesli for breakfast and it was quite good, easier and every bit as tasty as oatmeal. And I've got a green smoothie in the fridge that I intend to chug before I head out. Toying with the idea of doing a few raw days to see how I feel. Proponents say they feel fabulous and have cured themselves of all sorts of things.

Kaylets, good for you and DH! Always so much easier when they're on board.

Ceara, congrats on braving scale and seeing there was no need to fear. I can get myself into serious trouble if I don't weigh in.

Kat, high fives on the loss and the 'tude! Bet you have a big loss next week

Anagram, WSW, Amarantha, Eydie: Yooooooo-hoooooo!

K, Goilies, gonna post before I lose this. Let's make this a good one!