Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

Height: 5'6"

Default I knew it would happen, plateauing...question...

I was losing weight at a much more rapid weight and I've now begun to sort of plateau. I think I did anyway. I can't tell since I don't really know my body that well. But my weekly loss was significantly less than the rest. So, I'm assuming I'm plateauing? I just have a feeling that during this plateau I'll begin to get a bit upset, aggravated, and at time...just wanting to give up. So, I'm asking you out there, how do you get through plateaus? Does anyone have any advice? Or any words or encouragement?
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

so you mean you are still loosing but just less??? well if that's that case..its not really a plateu. a plateau is when you weight has stalled totally and you can't loose anything. But looking at your wt loss..you are getting closer to goal..in most cases..everyone who gets closer to goal really starts to slow down the amount they loose in one wk. first off to really help you...how are you loosing wt...are you exercising...are you weight training..i recommend first off taking measurement to help. Then if you aren't wt training..do so. Now warning..you may not see weight off right away because muscle weighs more than fat..however you'll notice a difference in your body measurements. If you are loosing weight..i wouldn't stress so bad about it...you will slow down some. you are close to your goal...just relax some. try to not "freak out"
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7

I don't really have any advice for you, but I can sympathize with you. My weight loss has slowed significantly as well....
aliceINonederland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I lose weight more slowly now than I did at the beginning. A plateau is when you don't lose for several weeks in a row. There are two ways you can push through a plateau - cut your calorie intake further, or increase your exercise. Oh, and of course, you can do both

My advice: don't sweat it unless it happens for a couple weeks in a row. I have had weeks where I barely lost a lb. and then the next week had a nice 2+ lb. loss.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ditto - if you are still losing, or have lost within the past week or two and have not lost this week, you are not at a plateau...give your body a break! It can't lose the same number of pounds, week after week...sometimes it just needs to take a week off and lose a little slower.

Don't sweat it!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Ditto what they said... as for how to deal with it -- find other ways to measure your progress! How do your clothes fit? How do you feel? Can you find ways to measure your exercise abilities?

As Amanda's signature says -- we use scales because they are convenient, but they really don't tell the whole story!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 AM   #7  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Change up your calories and include new activities that you will find emotionally and physically fulfilling. And I also agree with everyone else, find other ways to measure your progress. Better fitting clothes, more energy, and being able to exercise longer and harder than you have ever been able to. To keep up the good feelings, try on a pair of you HW pants and make sure that you aren't taking for granted the progress you've made.

Last edited by Reddalice; 01-07-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote