The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 01-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Default Last Chance Workouts?

Everytime I watch TBL I wonder about the last chance workouts, and how I can copy that in my own life. I was planning to do a long, extra hard workout tonight since my weigh in is tomorrow morning. I do exercise 6-7 days a week, but do you think putting in an extra hard hour or two the night before a weigh in can actually make a difference on the scale?

I have always thought of my weight loss as a collective result of the whole week's calories and the amount burned off over the week...but the last chance workout puts a new spin on it, assuming that a last minute calorie burn can take off an extra pound or two. What do you all think?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #2  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I never quite understood the last chance workouts. I know for myself, I am usually up on the scales after working out, especially if it was a hard workout that leaves me sore because everyone say's your muscles are retaining water to "heal" themselves. We see how hard they are pushed and workout, so you know that HAVE got to be hurting and sore, unless they are not putting the water back in after sweating like that.

I'd be interested in seeing other opinions on this myself.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I like the concept, doing anything you can to motivate yourself to burn more calories is a good thing. That being said, I would not see much of a loss on the scale the next day. Even an extra hour in my target zone would only result in a loss of a fraction of a lb. And - I find that if I overdo my routine, I usually retain more water and the scale can actually go up.
Why not give it a try and see what happens?
Old 01-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It takes time for the fat to metabolize out, from what I understand. It's not like we exercise and the fat just disappears at that second. (though I'm not an expert on this process!)

A last chance workout may have you sweating out a lot of water, but I'm not sure that if you workout and the scale is down that it's because of fat loss! I think your idea that weight loss is a collective result of the entirety of work for the past week is right...

But mentally, a last chance workout may have psychological impact, which isn't a bad thing...
Old 01-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #5  

I tend to agree with you all...but then why do they do it? There has to be something to it...and I am wondering about the timing of their last chance workouts to the weigh in, is it the night before, day of, or what?

Ya know, Jillian's radio show is on NOW...I may try to get through to call and ask her! I will really try today.

EDIT: OKay, I emailed the show through the website, maybe she might answer...I am trying now to get through the phones but it is BUSY BUSY BUSY. I'm trying though, only half hour left in the show.

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 01-06-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #6  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

I will echo what everyone else has said. I know that after I walk a half marathon, my weight is no different the next day, though it may be two or three days after. I think that the water loss is the main reason for applying it to the immediate weight-in. However, I think any fat loss would show up the following week.

The biggest factor for me before my weigh ins is salt. No soy sauce, no canned soup, no cheese....I can hold two pounds of water so easily that it amazes me when I actually lose weight during the day after having a lot of sodium.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #7  

Okay, I got through, but right at the last minute and was going to be the very last question if they got to it...but they got a jabbering lady right before me who wouldn't stop talking so they didn't have time BUT I did tell Janice about the email I sent and that we were wondering here, so she may answer it...or if not she said to call back next week. Ah well, I tried
Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

That's so cool that you are local and get to call in! I agree with what Diva and others said, about you could actually be heavier from all the water you should be drinking on the lcworkout (note, they don't on the show if you read the blogs, they dehydrate b4 the w/i.) I think the reason they do it is because it's gimicky, catchy, and works for the show. It's a mindgame thing, you know?

But for the content, I love a hard workout or a l/c workout! But I wouldn't tie it to your weigh in. I would look to do a l/c or "hard" workout whenever you've got some extra time in your weekend maybe, or a day off for you. It's a day when all the factors come together - you have the time, maybe the weather is nice, your energy is up, working out feels really good that day. Then stretch it out and build it. I think it might be more successful to do it like that rather than scheduling it in advance, you take advantage of a good day to make it a super workout.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #9  

No, I am not local at all, I am in NC. You can listen to the show live at the website, email the show from there, or they give the # to call in on the show. Anyone can do it! I would post a link, but we can't do that on here, can we? Just search for KFI AM 640...that's the station, then go to the ON Demand and you can listen to all her shows there...without all the commercial interruptions! That's how I normally listen, I usually can't on Sundays when it is live.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Oh, ok, duh I would have seen that had I looked at your profile! Sorry. I do download her podcasts occasionally. I have about 6 months backed up at this point to work my way thru. I like her on the radio, she is very high energy!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 PM   #11  

It's okay I love the radio show, but I am annoyed sometimes at all the laughing between her and the assistant...only because sometimes we can't hear or know what is being laughed at so I"m like "okay, either explain or get on with the show." I LOVE her though, and am hoping I get on her team in this challenge
Old 01-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #12  
No excuses this time!

S/C/G: 279/249/154

Thanks for the link - I listened to the 30/12 podcast - very motivational!