Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #1  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Do you make date goals?

I have never placed a date goal on myself, when I turned out to be a really slow loser, that ended up being a good thing LOL.

I was afraid that if I didn't make a weight goal by a certain date, that it would mean failure to me.
I wonder if I should try setting one.

How do those of you who set date goals deal if you don't make the weight you wanted?
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

I don't set weight goals. When my body loses the weight is not within my control. What is in my control is what I eat and how much I exercise. To me, date goals seem like a set up for disappointment. It's great if you meet them, but there is no guarantee that just because you decide to be a certain weight by a certain date that you will.

The one time I set a weight goal, I expected the weight to correspond with a certain clothes size. I met the goal, but the clothes didn't fit. It was a disappointment, and I learned my lesson.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:59 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I'm also a slow loser but that's working for me. So I tend to just give myself small increments and skip the "date" goal.

However, I am starting figure out what my regular pace is so now I can start giving myself date goals based on that. For instance, if I'm really good (REALLY) I can lose about a pound a week. But that means I went to the gym and ate what I was supposed to eat! So I base my goals on a little more than a pound a week to push myself.

What if you don't make it to goal?

It depends. Are you an ALL or NOTHING girl? If you know you will give up if it doesn't look like you're going to hit goal, then don't set yourself up for that kind of failure! It has taken me a while but I am competitive (with myself) without that mentality.

I was lucky enough to hit my New Year's goal and I've got a Valentine's day goal (that's WAY crazy). But I know if I don't hit it, I probably did better than if I didn't try at all.

Last edited by Goddess Jessica; 01-06-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #4  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

I have set date goals in the past and almost always they backfire and cause me to sabotage myself. I do set short term weight goals (currently working on making it to 50 pounds total) but I try not to set out a timeline for them. That being said, I did promise myself I would break the 100 pound mark in 2008 so I guess that is a date goal.
Xena2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I love making goals. The key for me is make them obtainable. Figure out a reasonable weekly goal and multiply by however long. I don't do the "50 pounds by Valentines" type goals. I'm not looking for Pie in the Sky. I want something I can really work towards. I find it very motivating.

If I didn't make one but knew that I had tried my best then it wouldn't bother me at all. It would bother me if I knew in my heart I could have done better but didn't really try. Either way I think it's a good lesson to learn.

Don't be afraid to try it. If it doesn't work for you then don't do it again. Not everything we try along the way works perfectly.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I only make date goals regarding threads on this site. I try to make modest goals except for this Valentines goal. I made this Valentines goal a bit harder to FORCE myself on plan. Although it doesn't seem that outlandish as I thought. I was expecting to gain 5 pounds before I made the V day goal. I wound up lossing or not gaining as much. So my projection of 235 to 219 does seem strong wthin 7 weeks. Usually for those goals I do a 1 pounds per week rule. If I don't make it, I don't know. I've been modest and have lost more than my goals. Also, it helps to know how fast or slow you loose.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #7  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I didn't say date goals. I am thinking more in ranges now. Weight loss is slower and I have to work harder now, so I do ranges. Though, it's not a make it or break it. Right now, I'd still like those last 5 pounds off. But I am giving myself till March, that's when I would like it. It would not however be a deal breaker.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #8  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I set date goals...But I have yet to make one LOL (I was supposed to be at goal weight by Jan. 1). I think it helps me though..once I get to said date, even if I am not at goal it gives me a chance to stop an reevaluate what I am doing right and wrong.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

My big goals are for percentages of my starting weight. I am almost now to my 10% goal, then I will work for 20%. This has motivated me and I do not have a date set to achieve them,just each week gets me a little closer so I want to do my best. I did set a goal for the Valentine's challenge here on site, but I don't hit it, that's fine, because my main goal is that 10%.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I find the date goals to be motivating, but as others have said they have to be modest. Usually I can do better than the goal and that makes me feel great. If I don't make it, I am usually close, and I don't let it get me down.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #11  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I love to set date goals....they help keep me motivated. And, even if I don't fully meet them, any progress is good progress.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I have set date goals a million times & not once have I made them. Even if I'm perfect with diet & exercise I cannot anticipate my body's plateaus. I drop quickly & then NOTHING for a long period of time. I aim to change my lifestyle. If I'm living right my body will get to where it is supposed to be. Plus, there is no end of my new lifestyle, right?
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:22 PM   #13  
I See Less Every Day

I set date goals for all my mini goals. Some I have made and some I have not either way I make progress toward the mini goal. If I didnt make it by the date I just get out the calendar and reevaluate my situation. Hopefully I'll make it by the next date. I also print out my goal one copy for my fridge and one for my desk. It really helps at work people dont come into my office eating donuts nor do they offer me junk food they know how hard I'm working and they respect it.
clessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #14  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

I like to make date goals as they keep me motivated with something to work toward. That said, I do not beat myself up if I don't make the goal. My weight loss is hard to predict, slow for a couple of weeks, then a big loss, then nothing... just random. So really, I feel any loss is progress in the right direction and I do try to keep the goals attainable and not "shoot for the moon".
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #15  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I like to set reasonable date goals. For example, see my birthday goal in my signature - I have 3.5 months to try and make it.

If I don't, I'm not goign to beat myself up about it
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote