Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #1  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Vitamins & Supplements

Okay, so I know this has been asked and answered more than once but it's something that I've been wondering about and thought maybe it could have it's own thread.

I know what everyone takes is subjective and we're not doctors or nurses etc. but for my own curiosity, could everyone who takes any daily vitamins or supplements list what they take, maybe how much (if applicable) and a quick answer as to why (if it wouldn't be clear to everyone). Even a brand name, if you choose.

Kim - I know you just posted this but I'm hoping to get a few opinions gathered in one place.

TIA.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #2  
Meg

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Meg and as for me, well I don't take anything that's why I'm asking! Oh, I do take 1mg of Vitamin C (mostly in the winter months with the colds everywhere). I've asked around and there's so many options, I wanted to see what everyone here thought. No one has ever argued about a multi vitamin, which I'm sure I could use but there's so many brands, I didn't even know what to look for on the label. I asked my doctor and what did he say? Well, it's best to get what you need from your food. Some doctors...so silly. I mean no kidding, of course that's the best but now let's come back to reality. Who gets everything they need from their food? Not that many people, I imagine. That's my story....and that's why I'm asking.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Elisa, my doc gets very excited when I go in and they routinely ask if I'm taking anything otc (after they weigh me !) I take a multivitamin and a B Complex supplement. I take the B bc I have heard that it helps with mental stability. No seriously, it helps the nervous system to function properly and has been rumored to make us calmer. I'm trying to increase my patience level for my kids. (interestingly enough, kelly ripa and I had one of the same new year's goals for ourselves!)

I buy Nature's Own bc that seems to be a quality product without the outrageous price. I actually heard to avoid the centrum brands Meg! I'll try to remember where, but I think it was like the quality of the components used to make the vitamins (and no, it wasn't the natures own website! It was like the food police guys in DC - you know that newsletter, right? The research for public interest group - can't remember the name right now.)
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:10 AM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi

I take a multivitamin for seniors (no added iron), and I confess to using the store brand. In addition, I take calcium with D, again a store brand that is like Viactiv. I take 2 600 mg(?) chews a day - morning and evening. My doc is pretty insistent on the vit D as we Alaskans don't see a lot of sunshine for about 4-5 months a year. She also tests for it when she does blood tests (mine was normal). I took glucosamine for awhile (6 months?) and didn't find any change. I sometimes eat flaxseed, but we typically eat a fair amount of fish, and mostly salmon, plus I eat walnuts several times a week, so I figure I've got my omega-3s covered. Since both my mother and my maternal grandfather had Alzheimer's I do look for things that are reported to help with avoiding developing it (wow, was that an awkward sentence!)

In addition to taking things, I also use moisturizers with high SPF, as while we don't see a lot of we are at a higher latitude and thus get more exposure to the UV rays. (I also wear sunglasses all year round)
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #6  

Here's the review on vitamins that I mentioned:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n16101442/pg_1
Old 01-06-2008, 06:10 AM   #7  
Meg

Thanks for the link, Fran -- that's a very interesting article.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #8  
Mel

I take a long list- my local Vitamin Shoppe loves me

I'm going to borrow part of Meg's so I don't have to retype:
  • a multivitamin (Vitamin Shoppe) as an insurance policy because I restrict calories
  • 2 fish oil capsules - anti-inflammatory and all-round wonder stuff
  • 2 calcium tablets (Vitamin Shop) because there is a family history of osteoporisis
  • 2 grams of vitamin C - my plastic surgeon advised me to take it to help with skin healing after reconstructive surgery and once I saw how nice it made my skin all over, I never quit
  • 2 glucosamine tablets - no chondroitin, I'm allergic to it.
  • coQ 10- 2 tablets of 30 mgs.
  • Bromelein- it's a digestive enzyme and helps with tissue healing and I just feel better when I take it
  • 1 big scoop of l-glutamine daily mixed in my cottage cheese and yogurt. It helps with tissue repair, (lessens soreness from an intense workout) and has been shown to provide bronchial immunity.
  • 1 tsp psyllium husks mixed into that same yogut and cottage cheese. More fiber!
  • I also take a prescription anti-inflammatory for my fibromyalgia.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM   #9  

That article loves the Vitamin Shoppe brand!

Mel, I'll never forget the time I went to the one in Exton. I was the only customer, and the guy had to cut his front of the store smoke break short to check me out. It was gross! I know retail help is hard to find, but they ought to have a rule about SOME things, ya know?!?!

Last edited by sportmom; 01-06-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #10  
Mel

I think they've hired new help in Exton That's where I always go.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

-multivitamin
-2 calcium + D tablets because I was allergic to dairy most of my life and really never got used to ingesting the stuff
- zinc for immune system
-vitamin E, flax seed oil and fish oil for skin health and anti-inflammatory properties, hopefully. ^_^
-i was taking coq10 for a while but ran out and haven't bought anymore
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #12  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Anyone take a CLA/GLA combo here?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

You know I used to tease my step father about all of the supplements he kept in their kitchen cabinet. Really it's full. The nettie pot was just too much for me. Now that I'm on a quest to take better care of myself I've got one of those cupboards in my kitchen too. Don't peek!

I take 2400mg of Omega 3 Fish Oil (Bumble Bee, enteric coated soft gels)
1500 mg of Glucosamine (Osteo Bi-Flex)
1200 mg Chondroitin
630 mg Calcium Citrate with vitamin D (Citracal,)
2 scoop of Isolated Whey Protein powder, one at breakfast and one after my workout.
My kids Gummi Vites (I also asked my general physician what type of vitamins I should be taken and he smiled and said "whatever you feed the kids, honestly I know I could do so much better,vitamins and doc.)
An occasional deep red wine in the evening and 2 single tasting squares of very dark chocolate.

Interesting results with the vitamin C Meg, I'm going to add that to my list as well. I've been meaning to add the Vitamin B and baby aspirin but keep forgetting. Thanks for the reminder.

Good Thread Elisa. Here's to good health.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I missed this when it was asked originally.

I've been taking a vegetarian multivitamin (tell me why it tastes like fish? I don't know). It has a lot of stuff in it though.

I also take glucosamine for my osteoarthritis.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 153/120

Height: 5' 4"

1 EveryWoman's One Daily Multi ( New Chapter Organics) bought on line.
2000 mg buffered Vitamin C
1000 mg vitamin D ( in winter months)
vitamin E 400 1U
3 Calcium/Mag tablets ( 1000 cal/500 mgnesium)
Chlorophyll Concentrate ( 100 mg)
Zinc 15 mg
Digestive Enzymes with each meal
All from WholeFoods.
Just bought extra-strength WholeFoods 365 brand Glucosamine Chondroitin Complex to try since I saw you all recommending it.
And 1 Tbsp whole flax seed in my 365 Whey Isolate Protein Shake.
And in spite of all this (lol!!) I am in great health!!

Last edited by KatieK; 03-29-2008 at 10:27 AM.
KatieK is offline   Reply With Quote