Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #1  

Default Overtraining

So, got a lecture yesterday about overtraining, burnout, and injury. I got on a high for a while--just so in love with exercise and challenging myself--that I was working out a lot--during the holidays in particular was there 2-4 hours a day, 7 days a week.

So, I was encouraged to take one to two days of rest each week. Slept in today (because Sunday I want to take an abs class) and may have Saturday off due to a delivery.

While the sleep felt good--I was hankering to go to the gym. Chomping on the bit.

Day off feels too weird.
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #2  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

In a way I know what you mean. My dh tells me don't workout to much you gotta rest or you will never see results. Me on the other hand some days i just wanna go and never stop.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

JG: Can I just first say how proud I am of you?! Really. You are truly embracing diet/exercise/lifting as a lifestyle. I've been reading your blog and know you are experiencing so much success, congratulations. What an exciting journey you are having.

I traveled this road on my own and would have given my eye teeth to have a good personal trainer to enhance the experience. That being said, you've got what sounds like a good personal trainer so when he says slow down a little, Please, DO IT.

During my Weightloss Oddessey, which still hasn't reached its final chapter yet, I would finish my workouts already looking forward to the more that I could dish out the next day. The endorphine rush is just overwhelming, coupled with all of the physical changes that were taking place I kind lost good judgment with regard to my initial goal, good health. I began running before my body was really ready for it and injured myself, badly. It didn't start out that way, it was just a suggestion of pain so I just kept going. Two months later, yep, I was stupid it took two months, it was soo bad that I could not walk without wincing in pain and only then did I entertain the idea of finding a sports doc. Long story short, I tried everything in the book to work around my injury to do active recovery because I still hadn't learned my lesson and spent a couple of months on the couch doin' nothin'. This could have been avoided. End of my lecture.

I'm not assuming that you would do this. I certainly know that your personal trainer would head this off before it came, but please, just be careful. There's good pain and there's bad pain. What I have learned from this is that it takes just as much discipline to refrain from exercise once you get the "bug" as it takes to begin exercise in the very begin. At least this has been my experience.

Have I put you on the defensive yet? I really don't mean too. I just feel compelled to share since I wish these were things I would have known. Even if I had I probably would not have listened anyway. Just be careful. Okay, go ahead and assure me this won't happen to you and I'll feel better.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
What I have learned from this is that it takes just as much discipline to refrain from exercise once you get the "bug" as it takes to begin exercise in the very begin.
Wow, that's intense! I know it can quickly become obsessive and all that you can think about. I have found myself sometimes thinking, ok, an extra half hour on the tm tonite bc you ate lunch out instead of bringing it. That's probably not too good either. Face it, we are all waaay too achievement oriented! But there's got to be a middle ground b/w obsession and where taking one day off turns into a landslide.

Last edited by sportmom; 01-03-2008 at 06:17 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #5  

I didn't take offense.

I have been through injury. First was my gluteus medius, pulled twice from running, 6 months recovery. Then started training. Dealt with a hand injury not related to training, then pulled my Achilles while training, so yeah...I hear ya...
Old 01-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

It was you! I thought I remembered the pulled glute. So yeah, you know....
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #7  

Oh, great, that's how I will be remembered--the gal that pulled her ***, LOL. It was excruciating! I couldn't walk 50 feet without pain and the only way to heal was to walk. Now I'm so conscious of things feeling odd in my body. But that still doesn't stop me from wanting and doing what my head says ; 0
Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
JG: Can I just first say how proud I am of you?! Really. You are truly embracing diet/exercise/lifting as a lifestyle. I've been reading your blog and know you are experiencing so much success, congratulations. What an exciting journey you are having.
I needed to hear that....
Old 01-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #9  

I took Friday off and then yesterday couldn't get around to it due to a delivery that ended up coming so late. So, I had 2 days of rest.

Aaaahhhhh.

Back to the gym today. Hard Core Abs and cardio (woo hoo!).

ETA: Spoke too soon. Black ice. Might have to miss one of my favorite classes.

Last edited by JerseyGirl69; 01-06-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #10  

You are dedicated for sure Jersey. How old are you anyway? As you get older you will cherish those days off for recovery but keep up the passion and stay with it.
scorpiochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #11  

I'm 38.