Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #1  
Smartypants

Default Turnips, Acorn Squash, Eggplant OH MY!!!!

I would love love LOVE to try these foods, but just the mere appearance is SO intimidating!!!! I mean, I have like, no idea where to cut, or what to cut, skin on or skin off, cubes or slices, oven or stove, ahhhhhhhhhhh! I have bought them all, but they just rotted in the fridge cause I was scared of them (hears twilight music). Pray tell, how in the world do you cook these things? And what about other weird veggies.... I'd love to discover some new tastes but I have no clue what to do with the poor thing after I bring it home from the store?
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #2  
My body in 6 mos!

S/C/G: 161/See Ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

hi txangelgirl, I usually put turnips in my soups or add to a roast I put in the crockpot, the acorn squash I steam in a microwave steamer and top with butter and lemon pepper and eat as a side dish or snack. The eggplant I peel and saute with onions and garlic in a tomato sauce and top with parmessan or provolone cheese accompanied by a side salad. Hope this helps!
deedee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

For the squash if you don't have a chain saw to cut it, put the whole thing in the microwave for just a few minutes until it feels slightly soft take it out , and scoop out the seeds and cut into serving size pieces , I usually just cut in half. Put it back in microwave or oven to finish cooking, I like it with just butter, but there are all kinds of recipes that you can use.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-05-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: incomplete
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:14 PM   #4  
Fea
My Reality Check bounced.

S/C/G: 168/159/126

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by txangelgirl View Post
I would love love LOVE to try these foods, but just the mere appearance is SO intimidating!!!! I mean, I have like, no idea where to cut, or what to cut, skin on or skin off, cubes or slices, oven or stove, ahhhhhhhhhhh! I have bought them all, but they just rotted in the fridge cause I was scared of them (hears twilight music). Pray tell, how in the world do you cook these things? And what about other weird veggies.... I'd love to discover some new tastes but I have no clue what to do with the poor thing after I bring it home from the store?
Im exactly the same!
Fea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/190/155

Height: 5'6.5"

TxAngelGirl: Roasted squash (acorn or butternut) is in my opinion as decadent and delicious as vegetables get. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, rub a little bit of olive oil all over it, and put a couple of garlic cloves (whole and unpeeled) into the spot where the seeds were. Cover a cookie sheet with tin foil if you want to prevent staining, then plop the squash on there, cut side down. Put it in the oven at 400 for 40-60 mins, until it's soft enough that any part of the squash can be squished with a wooden spoon. Take it out, and carefully (it's hot!) scoop it into a bowl, mash it up with the roasted garlic cloves (just squish them out of their papery peel) and a bit of salt, and eat. My mouth is watering just thinking of it! The best part is the sweet, brown caramelized bits on the part that touches the pan.

Last edited by eastcoastgirl; 01-06-2008 at 05:11 PM.
eastcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I adore acorn and butternut squash. I'm having acorn with dinner tonight.

I cut it in 1/2 (with a good knife), scoop out the seeds, sprinkle it with SF maple syrup and tons of cinnamon. Place it in a baking pan with about an inch of water, cover it with foil and bake at 400 for about an hour. It's heavenly.

Of course I had never tried it till my lifestyle change. Wasn't even sure what those strange things were that I kept seeing at the produce store. I'm glad I checked it out. You will be too.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #7  
Smartypants

WOW my mouth is so watering right now!!!!!! That sounds so delish!!!! Thank you so much!!!!
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote