Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #1  
Right track to health!

S/C/G: 150/131/130

Height: 5'3''-5'4''

Default A question about sugars in slimfast

Does the sugars in the slimfast powders and shakes interfere with weight loss? It kind of makes me nervous to drink a shake because I keep hearing in order to lose weight you have to cut out sugars. There is a lot of sugar in a glass of slimfast vanilla powder shake (20 grams).
journey2happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #2  
it's always something

Weight loss comes from burning more calories than you consume, which could be calories from any food including sugar. Sugar is a waste of calories because it doesn't contain any nutrients. Reducing sugar can help reduce overall calories because it contains 4 calories per gram. Excessive sugar consumption has been linked to a variety of diseases and health problems. The World Health Organization recommends we get no more than 10% of our daily calories from added sugars. That would mean the sugar that Slimfast adds is important to count, but it would not include the sugar that naturally occurs in milk.

Slimfast Optima powder mix contains 6 grams of sugar per serving. I guess what really matters here is how many servings you drink. I sometimes drink a glass for breakfast if I'm in a hurry.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I've been using Slimfast products once or twice a day for 8 months and lost 64lb. Doesn't seem to have inhibited my weightloss any

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #4  
Time to get serious

S/C/G: 200/200/140

Height: 5'9"

Oh good, this is something I was wondering as well. I have a serious chocolate craving, and when it hits I try having a slimfast optima chocolate shake. Seems to satisfy the craving, and makes me feel full, unlike a teeny candy bar would have.
aksuzyq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #5  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I haven't "worried" per se about my sugar consumption since I started my "diet" I worry about Calories/Fat/Fiber...that is it...I drink SF every morning and on occassion, two times per day...I have lost 41lbs in 14 weeks...and I have plenty of sugar in a day...just healthy sugar...fruit usually.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #6  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Which tastes better the premade shake or the power?
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #7  
Right track to health!

S/C/G: 150/131/130

Height: 5'3''-5'4''

Thanxs so much dearies for your replies!! You really cleared away my doubts. A loss of 64 and 41 lbs that's amazing!! W2G GALS!! I want results like that too!! so inspirational!! I'm going to add back my slimfast powders then!!: I love the SF chocolate royal powder...so rich!! Yeah, it's way better then a candy bar...becuase it's healthier and tastes really good!! The shakes and the powder taste equally good!!
journey2happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Something I wanted to make everyone aware of:

If you look on the Slim Fast Optima powder canniseter, and check the sugar grams per serving-it is going to be lower than on the can of ready to drink. What you need to factor in as well, is that the milk that you mix the powder with, will also contain natural sugars. To get the true amount of sugars in the powdered Slim Fast formula, you need to add the number on the cannister, to the amount in the milk as well-for the true sugar grams per serving. It will end up being pretty close the the ready to drink shake in the can.

There are natural sugars, such as those found in milk, fruit, honey, etc. and then there are added sugars.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #9  
Ticker-free

S/C/G: 216/204.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I've been thinking of getting some slimfast for breakfasts as I hate eating first thing in the am. Drinking this during my commute sounds nicer than forcing food down my throat before I leave the house.
perclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #10  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I really love SF for breakfast...I use cans only as I'm too lazy to make the mix...I only drink Rich Chocolate Royale as it is sooooo good and tastes like a big glass of chocolate milk to me
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote