Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-03-2008, 05:42 AM   #1  
Doing it the last time!

S/C/G: 274.4/274.4/135

Height: 5'4"

Question I am searching for information on losing weight as a family ...

any information on losing weight as a family. My hubby and I, as well as my 14 and 12 year old kids all need to lose some amount of weight.
I am going to be doing WW and all of us will be counting points. What I need help in doing is putting together a 2 week menu for everyone. Something that gives portions. Also a shopping list. I know the WW site has the online thing and that's great but I can't afford to spend 40 a month to use it. I have a 2 year old and a 3 month old so I need great meals on a low budget.
We don't eat fish, (I can do some white fish but I have no idea how to cook it. We want to stick to the white meats and nothing to fancy that requires me to spend 100 at the store. I basically want to be able to plan my meals for 2 weeks and then rotate them with what is on sale.
Thanks for an help and directions on how I can achieve this.
Monchichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey!

3FC has a large Weight Watchers area in the forums, if you haven't found it already. Go here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18

You can see that there are subforums for recipes, flex, all kinds of topics. You can probably find what you need there--and post requests!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i think one great way is by getting rid of all bad snack foods like chips and chocolate...start putting more fresh fruit and veggies and then stop eating fast food. But also, be careful..i'm not a parent, but i've seen several people who get so "weight obsessed" they don't realize they are placing this obsession on their children. I say instead of "Going on a diet" tell your family we are going to start eating healthier so we don't have high cholesterol and diabetes...make it more of a health thing than a wt loss thing. Also start getting out with your family. Go for walks, hikes etc. Great quiality time with the faimily
good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

i KNEW i'd find something! the National Institutes of Health as a family-based weight management initiative called WE CAN! here's the link http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/publ...obesity/wecan/ and there are some great ideas in here. they even have a menu planner!!!! http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/menuplanner/menu.cgi

hope this helps!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #5  
Doing it the last time!

S/C/G: 274.4/274.4/135

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for the ideas. I will check them all out. Have a great day.
Monchichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have three kids, and my husband and I like to teach the children a healthier lifestyle by example...rather than telling them we are going on a diet together.

Some of the things we do as a family:

~When the weather permits, we go for a family walk a few times a week. Nothing big...just walking around the neighborhood with the kids.

~We play Nintendo Wii. Silly, I know, but just like Dance Dance Revolution, it is a video game that requires you to get physical, rather than just sitting on your rear, moving just your thumbs. We love the bowling and golf!

~Simple changes around the house. We have absolutely NO fruit "drinks" like Capri-Sun, Hi-C, Sunny Delight, Snapple, etc. in the house. Any juice that the kids drink has to be 100% juice. Calorie wise it might not make a huge deal, but nutrition-wise it does. I don't want them drinking colored corn syrup.

~I only buy unsweetened applesauce.

~We all drink skim milk, and eat skim yogurt (except for the baby/toddler-who needs the fat.)

~Whole grain bread instead of white or wheat.

~The kids eat oatmeal, or cereal with less sugars and additives-like Cheerios, etc.

~I serve a fruit or vegetable with EVERY meal.

~I keep healthy snacks on hand, such as string cheese, raisins, fresh cut up fruit and vegetables with dip, etc.

~When we eat out as a family, we will choose Subway instead of a burger joint, or we will order thin crust pizza instead of pan, or stuffed crust. (Less fat and calories per piece.)

There are a lot of small changes that you can make for the better.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

http://www.parents.com/parents/story.../data/3132.xml

another list of ideas for helping children eat more healthy foods.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Oooh, Jif! Great find!

There are TONS of low cost ways to eat healthfully. Dried beans make delicious soups! Buy your lean proteins in bulk when they are on sale (they tend to get expesive) and freeze them, then get veggies and staple grains weekly. Delicious!

mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote