Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Yoga

no no not the cute bear from jellystone park heheheheh

Am I crazy to try yoga???? I got my hands on a beginners yoga, done by a nice middle aged lady, i think she does it on PBS probably for seniors LOL but it'll still kill me!

Anyone do yoga? Thoughts?
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

no you aren't crazy...yoga is a good exercise...its for all body sizes. It will help you become stronger and more flexible. Just remember...don't attempt to go overboard. know your limits and listen to your body. If you can only stretch so far then don't go all the way. Go only as far as you feel you are able. Its a great workout and a great stress reliever. I love it. Go for it...and enjoy!!!!!!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #3  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Ooh, I'm about to start doing some beginners yoga myself! I'm not in very good shape so I'm starting my exercise with gentle yoga and walking. Just take it easy and if it hurts- don't do it! Good luck with it.
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:25 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

I'm right there w/ya. I love yoga and the previous posts are right - you know your limits and don't go overboard. I have TIVO'd a yoga program for a while and sometimes I think, "Are you kidding me?!" but most of the time I can do what they are doing (I just don't look as good doing it! lol).

Good luck!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I love yoga, though I didn't try it until I had lost over 100 pounds. But you CAN do basic moves and really see yourself improve. It's great for flexibility, balance and does a great job of stretching those muscles!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

I have the just my size yoga. I tried it right before I had my big moment of getting on plan. I was sweating up a storm and my heart was up. I thought fat girl yoga would be easy and EVERYTHING was feasible for my size. They even have alternate movements for certains thinsg that plague bigger women. I'm trying to make my routine more balanced and include more stretch, so I really want to start doing it regularly.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 AM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I love doing yoga. I started when I was still over 200 lbs. I have the Yoga Conditioning for Weightloss video from Gaiam and the Yoga for Inflexible People video. I love both of them.

Just start slow (the Gaiam video has different versions - full, 1/4 modified, 1/2 modified and full modified). I started with full modified and moved to 1/2 modified. It really helps to get yoga blocks and a strap and keep a folded blanket or wedge nearby. It has helped me SOOOOO much with my flexibility for everything from pilates to walking. Loosening my shoulder and hip flexors has really helped all of my mobility.

Give it a try - I think you will like it!

Last edited by CountingDown; 01-02-2008 at 02:02 AM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I thought I didn't like yoga and had ruled it out (don't remember why), and then I bought this Crunch DVD that was a mix of yoga and pilates, and I fell in love with it! I have always liked pilates, but that CD was just awesome! The instructor is Ellen Barrett, she is really good, but I don't remember the name of the CD. She started with standing yoga and transitioned to pilates on the floor. I always felt so stretched and relaxed and happy after doing it.

Now I do the yoga series on Fit TV, called Namaste, almost daily. I have not found any moves I couldn't do, though some look impossible. I try them slowly and find I can do it! Give it a try...it is so relaxing.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5 feet 1 inch (in shoes)

I just went to amazon and ordered that just my size yoga. I have wanted to try it ever since a friend of mine told me how wonderful it was but I thought I would have to wait until I was small to attempt the moves. A class would not be an option with my insane schedule. (I am a teacher and a master degree student so my life is books, papers, and 140 middle schoolers) Thanks for the info and the courage to start. You are all my heroes

I did get on my treadmill this morning! I had to dust it off first and plug it in but I walked a mile and feel great.
okiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #10  

Hi,

That sounds like Peggy Cappy's yoga practice on PBS. She has several dvds available on amazon.

I really like Yoga Zone and Sara Ivanhoe dvds.

Enjoy!
Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

I tried it, its just not for me, but Ive heard lots of people say they love it.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 PM   #12  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Yes do it! I LOVE it! As everyone has said, do what you can and modify where you need to. I find it very relaxing and am noticing muscles in areas that I just don't 'hit' w/ weight lifting. Good luck!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #13  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Gotta add my vote for Just My Size Yoga w/Megan Garcia....very enjoyable! It was a good workout, and it actually helped center my mind!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

it's Lilias! Yoga for Beginners -- she's old and not super skinny I kinda like it and she shows a lot of modified movements (ummm i think for seniors hehehe) but I kinda like it! I felt like i didn't move much but i was mopping my face throughout!

then out for a brisk walk later...it's freeeeeeeezing here so i'll bundle up
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #15  

Height: 5'5"

Just wanted to add that I love Yoga too. It doesn't burn calories fast, but it makes me feel really good and it helps me stretch out when I'm sore from weight lifting. I was surprised by how much I was capable of doing right away, and how much better I've gotten in a short time. (I started in the beginning of November.) I still can't do some things that I really think I should be able to do, but I can do things that I thought I would never be able to do, so as everyone else has said, it is all about listening to your own body.

And I've gotta say - I am the Warrior Three champion now. I used to not be able to do it at all - now I can go really deep and do it for extended periods of time. I love what yoga does for my body and for my mind.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote