Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:20 AM   #1  

Default doing everything right but not losing

I have been lurking again recently an I am glad I did. I do plan on coming here regularly to assist me with losing 10-15 lbs that have crept up since my husband and I separated. The kick in the butt to get healthy again happened when he told me he had been dating a girl and that was on Xmas Eve. Since then, I have been eating healthy,exercising a little and yet.......can't see a change on the scale. I see a change on my stomach which is flatter (as flat as can be after 2 kids ) but I can't seem to lose a pound.

I should add that I have a bad habit of binging at night as well which I have not done since a little before Xmas. I feel I am in control and will stick with it but I cannot understand why the scale is not budging.
I even make sure I go to bed a little on the hungry side just to see a little bit of result the next morning but no......

Is this my bodys attempt to conserve energy or something?
Thank you!

Last edited by ellasmom2; 12-31-2007 at 09:28 AM.
ellasmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you eat fewer calories and exercise more you WILL lose weight. Every body is different , though in how fast they will lose, be patient it will happen. Sorry to hear about your husband's announcement, you deserve better than that, good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

sometimes it can take a while to see any loss. How much excersize are you doing?? Are you doing at least 30 minutes a day?? Just hang in there. It's so easy to give up too soon when not seeing results right away. If you are doing things right, it will happen.

I am very sorry to hear about your hubby's indescretion. That sucks....but don't think you being 10 pounds heavier has any thing to do with it. This is truely one of those "it's me, not you" moments in life.

It may help if you write down everything you eat during the day and how much you are excersizing. You may just need to tweek things a bit. I try to log in every morsel that i eat. I may over estimate my portions sometimes, but i'd rather think i'm eating more than i am than writing down less than i really am. Journaling my foods helps me create a healthy pattern to eat by each day. (but don't look at my fitday for the past month....i have been serverely off plan for too long and it shows in my weightloss. )

Good luck and keep posting here and we'll do anything we can to help you out.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM   #4  

Well, I am not exercising all that much, maybe 30 3x week on the elliptical and treadmill. As far as calorie count, I am quite certain I do not go over 1400 or so. I refuse to go hungry during the day and eat small portions of just about everything (no junk food). I am a chicken, beans, green veggies...all veggies and fruits eater,yogurt etc...no junk in the house as I am trying to raise healthy kids as well.

I was wondering if because I was a binger an my portions are now way smaller, if my body is somehow wondering if I am
lacking food and not letting go of the fat thinking it needs to keep it in case it runs out of energy or something...clear as mud?

I'll keep at it and do know that the separation was no due to my weight. I just feel so much more confident at a lower weight and I am now on the market for a guy so I want to feel hot and confident ...

Thanks for the replies guys :-)
Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I think everyone's pretty much said it all, but just to address the thought that your body is hanging on to fat because of your sudden (and wonderful!) change in eating habits -- perhaps that's true, but what can ya do?? you know that eating right and exercising are healthy habits to get into, and eventually you'll be rewarded for your efforts, whether that means declining numbers on the scale, or on the size tag on the back of your pants, or increasing numbers on the speed you've set your treadmill or the amount of weights your lifting. Right??
Have you considered hiding your scale away for a few weeks to avoid feeling discouraged? Especially since you are seeing improvements in your body (where it really counts), maybe the scale is more hindrance than help at this point?
Anyway, good luck and keep posting!!
Sonja
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:37 AM   #6  

You know, the "hiding the scale " part did not occur to me but it is an excellent idea. In the attic it goes...

I'll weigh in again on Monday next week and see what happens.

Thank you!
Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I think one thing you're lacking in is keeping track. You're "quite certain" you don't go over 1400, but are you actually measuring, weighing, and logging? Many people have been quite certain about their portions or how much they've eaten through the day, but people seem to be very skilled at lying to themselves. It's like our brains tell us what we want to hear.

I'd suggest you do hide the scale for one, but that you start measuring and logging your food for another. And lastly, try increasing that exercise to 5 days a week.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 222.8/213.8/145

Height: 5'1

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're pretty slim already and when you're that close to your 'goal' weight the pounds take much longer to disappear.

Good luck to you, just be patient! =)
zoerba is offline   Reply With Quote