Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I forgot to share this with those of you who have problems with knees/joints like I've been struggling with lately. I recently read that drinking green tea could be a good way to describe the youthful knees of a green-tea devotee. Potent compounds in green tea -- EGCG and ECG -- may help battle cartilage and collagen destruction in arthritic joints. It said that the EGCG and ECG found in green tea are powerful flavonoids known as catechins and it seems that these particular catechins may help fight inflammation, as well as some of the underlying mechanisms at work in both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I used to think how neat it was that I had no joint problems. Now I wonder if it came on because I quit drinking green tea. It used to be my main drink instead of cold drinks, etc. I've gone back to drinking it and my bad knee is already better and my other knee which had just started hurting some feels great. So I will definitely be drinking a lot of it again as it must work. I also read that it prevents cancer so I may be getting a double whammy benefit. I also started eating grapefruit again because I read many years ago that it removes the inorganic stuff from our joints and replaces the organic.

Trish
Old 12-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #47  

Height: 5'1"

Morning all!

Quick one for me for the moment, needing to get ready to go to the gym. Dragging my feet because I wanted to sleep in a bit, but hubby agreed to meet someone.......couldn't he make it for later in the afternoon??

DD & her friend were over yesterday, took them home last night, wanted more time w/DD but she has plans w/friends already.....good to know she can squeeze in her mom some time!

Ok....need to stop dragging feet and get ready. I'll try to get back on later tonight and catch up.

Until then....hugs to you all.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #48  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Happy Sunday hugs to everyone. It is still really cold here, but may warm up to 40* tomorrow. Hope so, I can't seem to get warm today. Needless to say I didn't go outside for a walk. Being my usual lazy Sunday self...papers and coffee.

Trish- I have also been reading about the benefits of green tea. I drink lots of tea and need to switch to green. Have some plain green and some with mint and love them both. And I do have joint problems.

I have posted this tip before and although my DH laughs and thinks it is crazy I know it works. AND funny thing...his sis is a nurse, she tried it and says it works for her. SO...if you wake up with leg cramps or a charlie horse in your calves, sleep with a bar of soap between your sheets. It does work. I have been told Irish Spring does not work, but any other soap does. You can even google it. Soap for leg cramps

Thanks all who have been thinking of Mom. She has been feeling better for a few days now. Eating and even put a pound or two back on. We have our fingers crossed that she is on the mend. Her colonoscopy is Wed. and then her vascular surgeon the 24th. Seems a Dr. ever two weeks or so, but maybe we are on the right track..finally. Anyway...I appreciate your good wishes for her as she does when I tell her.

Just booked our flight for Vegas the end of the month. And the two nights down south were booked last week. *fingers crossed* that Mom does well and the roads don't get too slick/snowy.

Okay..no more right now as I am off to fix some lunch.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #49  
GmaTo8

Hi ladies,

Cristina - haha, just ask DD if she sees what she started. YAY for the 2 pounds down. That's great.

Mindee - oh yeah, I'd be taking my sis up on an offer like that!

Sassy - some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug. Hope to see more windshield days ahead for you. I saw that movie you're talking about, and thought it was a hoot. Couldn've done without the shot of Terry Bradshaw's bare bootie, though! I'd rather seen Mathew McWhatever's, wouldn't you? teehee

Sue - maybe your body's set point is 170. How's your mama?

Angie - I read The Secret. The only thing I didn't like was the void of giving due to a Higher Power. It basically says we can "think" good things for ourselves. Hmm... I'm going to have to check out that mop!

Jules - my sis took castor oil and said the cramps were so much worse. I know Teri wants it all over, though. Thanks for sharing the photo of you and your mom and brother - it was great!

Patty - I'm in a bad habit, too, ever since Neal retired that I want to stay up late and sleep in longer than I should. I feel so much better when I get up early. Thanks for the info about the green tea!

Marti - lol about Jhanai. But you do have a very close relationship with her - it shows. Brace yourself for when she gets a car, a job and a boyfriend, as you might see less of her than you want. I remember seeing all 3 of mine as they went out the door, lol.

Mary Kate - thank you for the beautiful card. Can't wait to catch up with you. How's your sister?

Hello to anyone else reading this.

I've been doing great with the food and water, not so great with exercise. But I've had a sore throat and now I think a cold's coming on.

Where is that sneaky sunshine????? If it can't snow outside, at least I should be seeing some sunshine!!!

Toodles,
Old 12-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #50  
GmaTo8

Sue - thanks for the tip about the soap. Never heard that one before, but I'll try it, since I do get leg cramps at times. Used to be able to buy some OTC stuff, not anymore! Btw, tell your mom I've got a lot of pounds she can have, lol. Glad to hear she's better.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #51  
ugggg.....

Well girls...Teri is being sent to the hospital to get checked. I guess they are concerned since she is still having a good bit of discharge since the sweeping of the membranes on Friday. She may have just lost her plug and since the contractions are really hurting yet they may send her home. She's going to call me once she knows what is going on.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #52  
GmaTo8

Let's wait for Mister Dominck at #283!
Closed Thread