Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #1  
shrinking witch

S/C/G: 315/294/200

Question Spaghetti Sauce?

My hubby and I are planning on starting SB after the New Year, but I was looking through my books and the forum, but really never noticed if spaghetti sauce was OK? And for Phase 1, 2, or 3? Hope you can help! Feeling a bit clueless! LOL!!
SilverMoondust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Spagetti sauce is fine for Phase 1, as long as it has no more than 3 grams of sugar in it. There are many brands on the market that you can try, or you can just make your own. What are you using it with for Phase 1? Remember, no grains, but it's great served over spagetti squash!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #3  
shrinking witch

My version of stuffed zucchini: 90% lean beef with spaghetti sauce in hollowed out zucchini (need a BIG one!) and put in the oven to brown.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:41 AM   #4  
shrinking witch

Ps: thank You!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hunts has a decent No Sugar Added sauce. Also, Trader Joe's marinara, if you've got one nearby.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #6  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

We use marinara over chicken as well as spaghetti squash when we want that Italiano flavored saucy meal.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #7  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb Try this --it was really delicious

As a gardener for many years in the past, I never used commercially prepared spaghetti sauce until I moved into an apartment so I never even knew spaghetti sauce even had sugar in it!

I prefer my tomato sauce to be really chunky with lots of garden "add-ins".

Now, that I am on Phase 1 and going totally sugar free (this is my 5th day) try this when you "crave" something Italian. To me, this was like eating the top of a really good pizza. It was easy to prepare, it was delicious and it was almost salt-free and definitely sugar free. I just made this up off the top of my head but I am definitely going to make it in the future.

1)cook 90/10 lean ground sirloin in olive oil in frying pan(if you use minimal oil you don't even have to drain the oil)
2)add medium can of diced chunky tomatoes (had tomatoes, water and salt)
3)add diced green peppers, onions and mushrooms ( I even used the pre diced from the freezer section of my Publix store)
4)add Italian seasonings: pre-blended or individual like oregano, basil, etc.

Cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. The tomatoes will cook down and get nice and thick.

Turn burner off and then place reduced fat cheese on top of the cooked meat/tomato mixture. Cover and let cheese melt.

Carefully, remove from pan onto plate. This was very very filling and it was very delicious. You can add other vegetables compatible with Italian cooking. I can see myself eating this as is without any pasta even in Phase 2. It was that good!

Bon appetite!
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote