Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #1  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Default This Inquiring mind would like to know..

Hello,
I've been lifting weights for about 1.5 years now, nothing too heavy I started with 5 pounders and worked up to 10 pounders just doing everything I can think of while lifting, using various muscles in my arms, back, waist etc, I am defintetely toned and have become fit as a fiddle! Recently, I suffered a pulled muscle in my shoulder from rockclimbing. Talk about painful, hurt like helllllllloooo! Needless to say, I quit my weights until it healed completely, which is now seems to have. Now I and am just starting back up again with my 5 pounders so I am taking it very slow, and so far no pain whatsoever.... Whew...

The past few days I walked superfast on my treadmill on a 4 incline and held the 5 pounders in each hand for 1/2 hr and just pumped my arms for movement. Question is, are my muscles get anything out of going this route? Also, Today, I am up in weight a bit, but I think some water is being surrounding my muscles being it has been awhile since I did this routine, this is normal the day after lifting correct? How much weight can lifting create overnight?

I intend to start to lift everyday for 1/2 hr, just doing everything I can think of with my 5 pounders. I am afraid to jump right into my 10 pounders anytime soon. Just was wondering if the 5 pounders will continue to give me definition that is already there.
I love my muscles and I look like I can kick some serious @ss, but their is always room for more bicep bulk, that is the look I want to go for, anyone give me some pointers? Thanks ~Wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

If you would like to see further muscle growth & definition you will need to start using some heavier weights. After 1.5 years I'm sure your muscles are more than use to the 5 & 10lbs & although you are maintaining your gain you are unlikely to see any further improvements.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder - I'm glad it is healing well.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

You could probably go up to 18 or 20 lbs on bicep curls and other things. I know that I could progress to that much after only 3-4 months of lifting, so I'm sure you can too. You might need to invest in an adjustable weight set so that you aren't buying each individual weight at 15,20, and 25 lbs, unless you belong to a gym. I think the weights on the mill are good for increasing your cardio even higher. In fact, the treadmill I got came with handweights and have what they call a cross-training program as some of the choices, where when the light flashes you are to pick up the weights and increase the intensity. I just wouldn't go too high on the wts while on the treadmill so that you don't create any joint issues for your extremeties. If you want to go higher, strap weight to a waist belt or something, don't try to swing heavy weight as you walk.

Last edited by sportmom; 12-30-2007 at 02:50 PM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 AM   #4  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I intend to start to lift everyday for 1/2 hr, just doing everything I can think of with my 5 pounders.
I agree, you can certainly go higher with your weights, depending on how long you took off from lifting. If it was only a week or two, you should be able to pick up where you left off.

My concern is that you say you're going to lift every day just doing "everything you can think of." You really need to make a plan. You shouldn't work the same muscles every day - they need time to recover. You build muscle by causing small tears from the lifting. It's repairing these tears that builds the muscle. There are lots of good books and websites out there to help you develop a plan. If you work at you'll have that great look you want.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #5  
Mel

You already got great answers.

I just wanted to second the caution about swinging weights while you are on the treadmill, especially if you have a history of shoulder issues. It's will NOT significantly increase the cardio workout, but it does put a lot of repetitive stress on your joints. I'd go for steeper, faster if you want more cardio, not toting extra weight. Save the weight for weight training.

If you want more muscle, you need to use increasingly heavier weights. If you can do 10-12 repetitions without muscle fatigue, it's time to up the poundage. 10 pound weights for chest, back and leg or full body exercises are pretty light. If you've been lifting for a year and a half, it's time to graduate!

As Pat suggested, don't just do whatever you can think of every day. That won't increase your fitness level or change your body. Take a look at some of the books or programs in this thread to get an idea of a lifting program or two.

Have fun!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote