South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Exercise Advice Requested

My biggest New Year's Resolution is to get serious about my exercise program. My weight loss slowed drastically the last 3 mos of the year, due to a lot of reasons, but I'm sure exercise will help kick things back in gear. The problem is I am basically a very lazy person, and also absolutely clueless when it comes to exercise. I have limited resources, since I live in a tiny town, and the closest gyms are about 20 minutes away. I don't have time to get to them on lunch hour or in the morning, and I wouldn't know what to do once I got there anyway! I have been walking, but that is it.

So, my current plan is to step up the duration and intensity of my walks.
My friend and neighbor has a Bowflex, and has suggested we get together several times/wk to use it. I am so clueless that I don't really even know what that means. When we were discussing it the other day, I mentioned that I wouldn't have any idea what to do with it, and her husband gave me a surprised look and said, "well, you just push on it." So, I'm assuming it's a weight/resistance training kind of thing. Anyway, I'm sure she will show me how to use it, and that's a start. Other than that I wonder if I need to add some cardio? What about exercises to firm up other areas like the stomach or butt?

I know lots of you chicks work out, and any advice you have to get me started would be appreciated.
We have a big new municipal center in town, which is practically across the street from me, and hardly gets used for anything except scouts meetings and town meetings, so I'm going to take the initiative to try and find some people to teach different exercise classes there, but I'm sure it'll take a while to get that going.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

How about some DVD's that you can do at home? When I wanted to try yoga a few weeks ago, but didn't want to take a class, I went to Blockbuster and rented one. They have them for pretty much everythng and if you rent first you could decide if you like them enough to buy a couple.
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

I am a huge fan of "the buddy system" to get started. Having someone else to be accountable to kept me motivated in the beginning, but relying on others also allowed me to be lazy when they did not want to work out and we would not make it to the gym (we had permission to use the work gym early, but only with a buddy).

When I started SB it was due to some unpleasant blood work and a Dr.'s recomendation, I read the book and understood the focus was on diet, but knew I would need to become more focused and serious about excercise as well. As a way to improve my overall health.

DH and I bought an elliptical and found room for it in our basement (a treadmill or stationary bike would also be good choices). I had little excuse last winter (in the snow and ice) when all I had to do was get dressed and head to the basement! I use it about 5 days a week. I also started TiVoing Denise Austin on Lifetime - she does lite cardio, weights, ab work, stretching, pilates, etc - and I find it nice to have a variety and for her to tell me how to do stuff. I also TiVo Namaste yoga from FitTV and enjoy the change it brings (I often do it on Sunday, as a relaxing way to fit in some excercise). And while it may not seem like as much of a workout, I have been sore as often from yoga as any other type of excercise, and I often feel challenged!

The results now keep me motivated - I have muscles, clothes fit better, working out has made my 18 pound weight loss look like more, and what they say about endorphins is TRUE! I look forward to the stress relief. Too many days without a workout and don't feel as good and am much more tense.

Good luck - know that excercise does amazing things and will make you feel so much better! Plus, anything you do for 21 days becomes a habit - so if you can find the motivation for 3 weeks, it will get easier to keep going for the long haul!

Ally

Last edited by amasam; 12-29-2007 at 12:06 PM.
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 7"

Bowflex is a weight/resistance training so that will be good. I do not go to the gym I use DVD's as well as exercisetv.tv website they have free full version workouts you can use online. I alternate days of weight/sculpting with full cardio days- I really like The Turbo Series bought some from beachbody.com it is a fun workout- I have quite a few of them so I can alternate them out- just got the ball version and I do like. I also try to get some walks in outside as well. Amasan is corect what the say about endorphins is true, I can be feeling kind of sickly and work out and it seems to kick the germs behinds, plus you just feel bettter, sleep better and have more energy.
Pearlrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #5  

Thanks for the advice chicks. I realize I've been looking at this as an unpleasant thing that I know I have to do, I never even thought for a minute that it might turn out to be something I actually like to do. Hmm, food for thought... Maybe my attitude needs some work as well.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I love walking/arobic vidoes by Leslie Sansone. They are cheap, they are easy. They really get the body moveing. Diet.com has some great vidoes too. I love the one for resistance cords.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

My favorite thing to do for exericise is the elliptical! I'd love to save up enough to get an excellent quality one for home but for now I go to the gym to use it. If you were interested in purchasing exercise equipment you could try checking out the classifieds or one of those used sportswear stores.

When the kids were bitty babies and I couldn't find the time to leave the house, I used The Firm DVDs. They really kicked my butt into gear! I'd be using them now, but the equipment that came with them is in our storage unit in California. You might be able to find some of the older versions cheap on eBay or at garage sales. They have a cardio and strength training component so they work your whole body.

I also second the recommendations for Denise Austin and Namaste Yoga. Denise is hilarious and will have you burning as many calories laughing at her and her silly sayings as actually doing the exercise! Namaste Yoga is the most well organized and voiced-over yoga program I've ever seen! I was VERY impressed with that show.

Good luck!

Kara

Edited to add: I seriously think I am addicted to the endorphin rush from exercising! If I don't get my work out in, I am a total grump.

Last edited by tomandkara; 12-30-2007 at 02:40 AM.
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Weight Trainnig for Dummies

Hi Schmoodle,

I can relate to being absolutely clueless about going to a gym before I got started 2+ years ago. A very helpful first step for me was one of the beginners resistance training books: Weight Training for Dummies, I think. There are a bunch of them and reading the first one can break down the sense of not knowing where to start. They even have chapters on gym etiquette and workout clothing to really break down the feeling that you'll look like you don't belong. I'd bet that the local library has one of them, Amazon certainly has a bunch.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #9  

Oh, I didn't know they had for dummies books for exercising. Sounds exactly like what I need! Thanks!
Think there's a Getting Into Shape for Clueless 45-Year Old Flabby Dummies?
Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #10  
Visualizing the Goal

tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:23 PM   #11  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Talking LOL with Schmoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Oh, I didn't know they had for dummies books for exercising. Sounds exactly like what I need! Thanks!
Think there's a Getting Into Shape for Clueless 45-Year Old Flabby Dummies?
LOL, You can start the new series: xxx for the Clueless. There's money to be made here.