Can't take it anymore

S/C/G: 230/220/130

Height: 5'6"

Question Step Aerobics Anyone?

Has anyone taken a step aerobics class?
What was it like?
High impact? Low impact?
How much was it... (gym membership?)

I'm wanting to get a gym membership at just ladies fitness... does anyone know how much that is? Per year or month.. & if it costs extra to take the aerobics classes?

See i'm still recovering from surgery but I have permission to do this and I just need to know if its really rigerous and such =)
amandaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! You should definitely be doing something like "starter steps" and low impact. Sometimes the local Y has classes--and you can take the classes whether you are a member or not--you just pay a little more. They aren't expensive and they go for, gosh, 8 to 12 weeks, it depends.

It is fun to do! But take it slowly. It can be a hard workout at first--so be sure you take the beginner's class, or even the senior's class, until you get used to it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #3  
I CAN DO THIS!!

S/C/G: 360.6/335.4/140

Height: 5'7½"

The fees for gym memberships around here almost always include the fitness classes but the membership fees range from $10/month to $500/month - just depends on what all you are looking for in your membership. The only thing that I've ever had to pay for additionally was massage and usually at a discounted rate.

I have taken some step classes. If you've never done this definitely take a beginners class. I discovered that I am not well coordinated but after a few classes with the same instructor it was easier to follow... but not an easy class, my legs felt like jelly afterwards.

Good luck!
gina1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I have a step at home and use it while I am watching TV...that might an option if you can't afford the gym or enjoy working out at home for whatever reason. I do step workouts for free on Exercise TV (if you have Time Warner, it's awesome! Lots of star trainers, you do their exercise DVDS free pretty much). I also bought a couple step workouts, learned lots of moves, and now I step myself while watching TV. It can be a very vigorous workout, or it can be less intense...it depends on your moves, how much you jump, etc. Just like floor aerobics, you get out of it what you put into it.

Definitely start with a beginner class or a beginner DVD, or just stepping around on it yourself for awhile. It is an awesome workout for the legs, and I just love it!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #5  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Amandaxx, I took step classes a few years back and absolutely loved them. They can be low impact and still be an awesome workout. My classes were at a ladies fitness center where all aerobic classes were included in the montly fee.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote