Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Red face Anyone give up diet sodas?

I'm giving up anything that has artificial sweeteners because I hear they may increase appetite. I have been fighting my appetite for years, and hate that I can't stop myself from eating even when I'm not hungry. Even when I'm stuffed! I'm am so hoping this works. I love my daily Diet Dr. Pepper, (and just bought a 24 pack!) so this is going to be very hard for me!

Instead I'm drinking only water and low-fat milk.

Anyone else give up their favorite soda and stuck with it? Any good results?

I also have started walking about 40 min. a night with my new iPod and LOVE it. Very motivational. Walking feels so good!

Heidi
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #2  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I gave up aspartame - diet soda almost a year ago. I used to drink about 6 diet pepsis a day. I don't miss it at all. I noticed that the sodas sweetened with aspartame stimulated my appetite. It is nice to not have that going on anymore. Also when I stopped drinking them, the burning sensation that I was starting to get on my tounge - gradually went away. I think for me, these side effects were caused specifically by aspartame. I have not noticed the same effects from drinks sweetened with Splenda, however, I slowly began to cut those out as well, because I do not want to eat artificial stuff in general. I now might have something like a diet Rockstar (sweetened with Splenda) about once a month or so. I am glad I got rid of at least one bad habit, and I think my bones will thank me too.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 12-24-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

I stopped drinking diet soda too. I only drink herbal tea and water now.....AND of course my morning cup of delicious coffee. As a night shift nurse who used to drink about a pot of coffee a shift....I think my body is still in shock!!
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #4  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Me too, but really only because as I started to lose weight, it made me gassy !

I did order a diet Coke about six months ago and the flavour made me feel quite ill - I don't miss them at all
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #5  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 165/142/123

Height: 5'3"

a while back i gave up diet soda. I havent had a non-diet soda in a long long time...i dont really like the taste of the sugar water anymore. lol.
when i did give up diet soda, the only thing that i noticed was my lack of drinking options. I didn't lose any weight because of it, and i wasn't feeling any better or anything. I am a naturally thirsty person, and at times the only drink available is soda, or some other calorie laden drink (i try not to consume calories in my drinks....seems like a waste to me).
Though some people do have bad side affects from aspartame, thats never been the case for me.

After about 2 months i went back to drinking diet soda, but i dont drink nearly as much as i used to.
Anything artificial is going to be at least a little bad for you. If you can stop drinking soda i encourage you to do so. Im amazed by anyone who can do that. i certainly couldnt! lol

Last edited by 100percentME; 12-24-2007 at 04:13 PM.
100percentME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #6  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Not a soda drinker but I was a die hard sweet tea drinker. I drank at least a gallon or more a day. I quit it in June just stopped one day. It was hard for the first two weeks. Not so much for cravings just the headaches from caffeine withdrawls. But I stayed on track and 6 months later I still have not had any caffeine. I drink mainly water everyday. A bit of milk in the morning and a lemonade every so often. I think if you are determined to give it up you can. It will be hard but the benefits are so worth it.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #7  
Mango Empress

S/C/G: 275/check my ticker!/145

Height: 5'6"

i gave up soda all together a while ago, and dont regret it. tho for me it was mostly that i cant handle the carbonation, it destroys my stumach. when i quit i just kept telling myself, "Juice is better than soda, Water is better than juice!"
MangoKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I don't have any issues with artificial sweeteners and you'd have to pry my caffeine-free diet pepsi from my cold dead hand.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I stopped drinking soda over a year ago.

I drink herbal tea, water, and pelligrino (with the rare glass of wine).

My advice? If you like tea but want a sweetner, buy Stevia sweetleaf. It's a natural plant sweetner with no calories and doesn't spike the blood sugar levels like soda does
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 AM   #10  
banned

I gave up diet sodas for several reasons, and have felt much better after I did. One thing I read about carbonated drinks in general is that -- when you eat less, one of the benefits is that your stomach shrinks so you get full faster. But carbonation continues to fizz in your stomach and will keep it from shrinking, and may even stretch it a bit.

Don't know how accurate that is, but it made sense to me.

Lori
NewSkinnyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #11  

Height: 5'8

I gave them up because I didn't like the taste. I generally drink flavored seltzer or sparkling water. But check the nutritional info first. Some brands do put sugar or aspartame, etc. in them On the rare occasion I want a soda, I'll just have a regular coke/ginger ale.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #12  

Well its just a chemical cocktail made somehow not IMMEDIATELY harmful!

I accept there is no certain proof that artificial sweeteners are harmful, mainly (a lot of) anecdotal evidence. But, even though I dont feel physically better/worse after giving it up, give it up I have aside from the very odd sugarfree lemonade, like at Xmas/Birthdays. But its just..I mean, diet coke tastes like something youd clean a sink with, or you imagine you would? In fact, filling a skip (metal) with diet pepsi overnight eats the bottom of it according to a uni friend whos uncle works for a skip company. They use it in moderation to CLEAN SKIPS.

That was enough for me, yknow!? What must it be doing to valuable internal organs?

Last edited by CousinRockingChair; 12-26-2007 at 04:41 PM.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:29 PM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, but vinegar may do the same thing! Our bodies are more resilient than that... and it's a good thing.

It just stands to reason that too much of anything artificial can't be good... and even too much of some natural products. So, balance may be a key.

I drink diet sodas, but I typically dilute them with plain fizzy water. Otherwise I find they taste too strong.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I gave up my Diet pop last year. Nothing to do with weight really, just realized that it's chemical crap, and water would be better for me. Plus, like Heather Angel, I found that it made me incredibly gassy, I could hardly stand to be in a room with myself sometimes!
Now, I'll occasionally have one - mainly if I'm someplace where people are drinking but I'm driving. It's no fun to watch everyone else drink beer while you're drinking water, so I splurge and have a diet pop then.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 PM   #15  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin41 View Post
I don't have any issues with artificial sweeteners and you'd have to pry my caffeine-free diet pepsi from my cold dead hand.
ROFLMAO! Robin, I'm with you on that!

I stopped drinking diet sodas before and noticed that my sugar cravings decreased and so did my headaches. I'm in the process of weaning myself off them again (four days (I think) and counting!) but on the days when there are no other choices except regular soda or something else I don't like to drink, caffine-free diet pepsi is my friend. Also, I drink diet soda in place of sweets and other 'bad' foods I crave when TOM is here.....it works!
JasonsLea is offline   Reply With Quote