Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2007, 07:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/165/155

Height: 5'4

Default Something like Motivation.

Has anyone bought that ONE pair of jeans, or that ONE dress that they've always wanted to wear but couldn't because of their weight and used it as inspiration? I've heard and read of many people putting that ideal pair of clothing, whatever it is, somewhere where they can always see it as motivation. Anyone? It sounds like a good idea to me.

I want to do that with a bathing suit. But I'm not quite sure which size I should get, that all really depends on how many inches and weight I lose so I'm a bit confused. I expect to lose at least 30 pounds in 6 months, by June, and I'm not sure how many sizes I'd drop.

Anyway, the main point of me writing this topic was to see if it has worked for anyone else out there.
takeitSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I did that once. I bought a dress that I just loved - I kept trying it on and finally one day it went all the way on me and zipped. The trouble is, it turned out not to be proportioned right for me and didn't look good. I was sooooo unhappy.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/165/155

Height: 5'4

Yeah I'm worried about that. I don't want to get use money on a bathing suit that in the end is going to look unflattering on me.
takeitSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

It sure worked for me... I bought a beautiful pair of pants, size 22 (I was originally a 24/26). Then I lost a lotta weight and now I cannot wear the beautiful pair of pants I had saved up here! LOL

I still occasionally wear the beautiful pair of 22 (even though I'm now a 16/18) but with a belt
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I considered doing this, but really, you have no idea how things are going to fit you at goal...your body is just so different, your shape changes, and not every "Size whatever" looks good on any body.

I did periodically try on my sister's homecoming and prom dresses, though, because I always thought she was so SMALL in high school (I was at least 250 lbs, probably more), so having those dresses fit was an NSV.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #6  

No no no. I wouldn't advise it! I'd advise using a pair of jeans etc you already own, and focussing how different they feel after a fornight or so.

This is because you are inadvertantly setting yourself up for failure by buying an item of clothing. As aforementioned, you might indeed not actually like the fit/proportions when you get there...thats IF you get there, not through *weakness*, but because its a lot of pressure...and the goal to fit into a dress etc isnt a *big enough deal*, when you think about it, to justify the hard work of weightloss.

Better to aim for feeling better? To feel good in current clothes?

Because...personal story..I aspired to be thin enough to be an *XS* in tops in H&M. Achieved it...um, great. It was like..So What? A goal to eat healthfully daily without effort, to run for half an hour...richer, more meaningful.

Cheaper too ;-)

xxx
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Really, i'd have to agree with the looking thru the wardrobe you already have and find something you used to be able to fit into and keep that out to try on. That's what i've been doing. If you don't have any of your old clothes, try to find someone who is a size or two smaller than you and see if you can borrow a pair of their jeans to try on as you lose weight...but i wouldn't spend money on clothes for in the future.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote