Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Did you hate the weight before & love it now?

As I traverse on this downward slope, I'm finding that I'm rejoicing in a weight I hated before. Maybe it took going so high to appreciate where I am now and where I'm heading.

Did any of you feel this way?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #2  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Well, it's a different feeling. The first time I was this weight I knew I was this weight because I was doing unhealthy things. Now, just the opposite. It's also more possible to be happy with the way you look because you know you don't have to be totally satisfied, just be happy with the progress you've made. Congratulations on the weight loss! Hope you keep feeling that way!
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:55 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/171.2/154

Height: 5' 5.5"

Yes, yes, yes!
I was aghast at getting UP to 170 before, and right now I would be thrilled to be DOWN there again!
mom2mollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I absolutely felt that way. 1000% so.

I was THRILLED beyond belief with myself at 220 lbs, 199 lbs and down and down and down. Heck, who am I kidding, I was starting to feel wonderful when I had lost about 25-30 lbs. I really thought I was lookin' (and feeling) pretty darn excellent at even 220 lbs. And then when I hit the 199 mark, OMG, I REALLY felt PHENOMENAL. Amazing, because as I was climbing upwards, I didn't feel so great about it. After being SO heavy and SO big for SO long, I was ecstatic to be smaller. Even though I was still very much overweight.

Funny, because G-d forbid I should ever go up again (but I won't ), even 10 or 20 lbs, I would be in utter misery again. Amazing what we get used to.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #5  
Weight Loss Expert

I know its the holidays but this really isn't a good thing, we need to take control here and stop putting the same crap in our bodies that got us to that massive weight in the first place.

Yes I may have been in better shape before but thats because I was eating healthier and actually exercising on a daily basis. I'm not going to lie to myself and say I'm happy because I'm not and its not just because I weigh more, its because I know I could be doing more either with my diet or exercising more.

I guess my point is that you shouldn't be rejoicing because of your weight but rather because your doing all you can to your knowledge to keep that weight off.

Thanks,
diet fiend
diet fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I absolutely have felt that way. It's the same with fitting into old clothes again. I can actually remember crying in a dressing room when I first had to buy size 20 pants. A couple of months ago when I got back into them, I was thrilled. For about a month they were my favorite pants.

I think a lot of it is the relief in being headed in the right direction, and the compliments don't hurt either.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Interesting question, I totally agree! I was in complete denial at 252 at how huge i was, i dont actually recognise myself in photos from that period, so to be anything lighter than that was a relief!!

Its strange though because before when ive gotten to this weight, ive been devestated, but as someone on here said its totally different when your going up, the coming down is a totally different thing altogether!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Heck yes!

After my first year at university, I had gone from a very fit 160lbs to a hopelessly unfit 188lbs. I thought it was the end of the world, and got back down around 170lbs for a while. Then I came back to uni and in Jan 2007 I found out I was 209lbs... over my "never ever" weight of 200lbs. I was shocked, and as I slooowly work my way back down, I would LOVE to be back at 188lbs!

Funny how it works, eh?
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

This is such a great topic. I remember feeling "fat" on my honeymoon, when I weighed about 120lbs!! Now, I went from 225lbs to 209lbs and I feel like america's next top model!! LOL...not really, but I do feel like I look a lot better, and I certainly feel better about myself after only losing a little bit of weight. Can you imagine how I'll feel at goal? I think it's all relevant to where you are in life.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Absolutely! And I have to quit liking the weight now because I have a ways to go! I've done this before..got to a point I liked but not my goal and for some reason seemed satisfied. I refuse to this time though...I am loving my weight now but I will love my new weight even more!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

DietFiend - that seems a bit harsh to me...you can certainly rejoice in the weight you ARE without omitting the fact that you still have room to improve. You can celebrate BOTH - how far you've come so far, and that you are doing all you can to keep going! Just because you're not at goal doesn't mean your body is not worthy of respect and love. Tying self worth to weight is a risky proposition.

Anyway - I don't understand this, because I was always heavy. Although I do remember crossing the 200 lb mark in 8th grade and being really upset, and getting down into Onederland was obviously cause for celebration. Now if I gained back up, it'd be, as Robin said, not good.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Tying self worth to weight is a risky proposition.
Amen sista!!!
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
Absolutely! And I have to quit liking the weight now because I have a ways to go! I've done this before..got to a point I liked but not my goal and for some reason seemed satisfied. I refuse to this time though...I am loving my weight now but I will love my new weight even more!
You are so right! I was so pleased with my progress and the way I was looking and feeling, if it hadn't been for the fact that I wanted to get to a "healthy" weight, I don't know if I would have pressed on. But I'm sure glad I did. As good as I was feeling, I feel much, MUCH better now that I've gotten all the way to goal. It's hard though to know that in advance.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Thank you Mandalinn. I felt the same way about that post.

I'm not rejoicing because it is the end. I'm rejoicing because I made a decision and have stuck to it. I'm rejoicing because, while I have a ways to go, I'm doing it with watching what I eat and exercise. I'm rejoicing because I can do it and I'm proving it.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Your words of encouragement are just that, encouraging! We all need that.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #15  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Absolutely! I am thrilled to be at this weight! I love the clothes (2nd hand) that I have found that fit. I will mourn not being able to wear a couple of beautiful suits that I have found - LOL
I love feeling fit and healthy! I am at the same weight I was at AFTER my first son was born. I thought it was an awful weight back then. Somehow 25 years later, I have a completely different perspective on weight and health.

Will I continue losing weight, even though I am so happy here? Yes. Like Robin, I want to be at a healthy weight and have even more energy, flexibility, and strength. I want to be a very active and fit person as I move closer to retirement and beyond. I want to be a grandma that can keep up with her grandchildren.

I don't want to miss out on any more experiences because of my weight - ever - again!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote