Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/165/135

Height: 5'4

Default In need of Help ...

I really think I have this skinny person inside of me looking to get out...
I look in the mirror and I hate the way I look; I'm disgusted.

At my highest weight I was tipping the scales at around 185, I'm only 5'4 and 18 yrs old.
So while all my friends are at their beach in their bikinis, I'm sitting at home feeling sorry for my self. It's hard.
I've struggled my whole life with weight. I've probably down it all, diet pills, binge and purging...
I've got down to 165 with a stuggle.
I realized these things i've been doing aren't helping... So I'm really motivated to lose the weight once and for all.
Any helpful advice ? Diet tips ?
It would be amazingly appreciated =]
kat031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey kat031

I know what you mean about the skinny person inside--I felt that way too.

First thing I'd suggest is that you look beyond your friends and their bikinis. You did great to get your weight to 165. I checked your body-mass index (BMI), which is just a rough measure based on height and weight, and in your case, your BMI is overweight, but not obese. That's good news!

So, how to proceed. The important thing for anyone is that they get proper nutrition while they are losing weight. That means, no starvation diets, no weird diets based on cabbage, etc. Also, you want to make sure that it's a program that you can work into your life. If you don't like cooking then you don't want a program that has you cooking for every meal--and so on.

If you go to the 3FC main page

www.3fatchicks.com

And click "Diets," you can choose a lot of different programs from the menu. These are explanations and reviews of the programs--not instructions. But, you can see which of those might work. It's a good starting place.

Another easy way to make your own program is to do calorie counting. We have a forum that's devoted to calorie counting, and you can get basic information here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120806

Activity is also really important, not just for losing weight, but also to maintain your weight and to stay physically fit. Do you like any sports? Is there a gym you could join? Have you ever done Dance Dance Revolution? Daily activity like that can really help. We also have an Exercise forum here.

So look around! Post questions if you have them.

Good luck!
Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 12-17-2007 at 07:57 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I think Jayell already gave the best advice. I would just echo that a quick fix is NOT the answer you're looking for. Look how long it's taken me.... 13 pounds in 9 months! But guess what, I'm not yo-yoing, and I've made positive changes that I believe I can maintain, so the weight will stay off. I would avoid trying to put any timeline on your weight loss - pick the program that suits you and your life, then just do the program. If you choose a viable program and follow it, the weight will take care of itself in its own good time. Oh, and keep coming here, if not to post, then just to read - it really helps to keep the motiviation running high!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #4  

Hey Kat, welcome

Boy, do I feel you. I was overweight throughout my teens and into my early twenties, and I still struggle with it. Looking back, the thing I regret the most is not that I didn't lose weight faster, or look better, but that I missed out on so much. And most of it wasn't even weight-related stuff, but I was very self-conscious back then. The thing that brought about the most lasting change for me was to not let my fears or insecurities get in the way of what I wanted to experience out of life. It is much easier to lose weight when you are happy and don't have that cloud of having to lose it to keep up with your friends, be social, have <blank> hanging over you.

I think you've gotten excellent advice so far! It's good that you're motivated and conscious of the fact that you want this to be a healthy, permanent change. You're way ahead of the game. Just make sure that part of the process is reinforcing your self esteem and image for things that aren't related to your weight, and not just how you look in a bikini
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/165/135

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone for your advice !
I really appreciate it. Love the links btw =]
kat031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #6  
Weight Loss Expert

Okay you want some diet tips I think I may be able to help you

You see the secret to weight loss is not knowledge on weight loss... its consistantly taking action to reach your weight loss goals.

I know some people want that magic pill but there are none for long term weight loss. Thats the problem with weight loss nowadays, so much misinformation on weight loss pills/methods it will make your head spin.

Okay so consistently taking action is common sense right? Sure but usually overlooked and usually people are taking the wrong actions such as drinking 8 diet sodas per day even though there is a direct correlation linking diet sodas to obesity.

But you can't go wrong with exercising... well sorta, some exercising are much better than others for weight loss too.

The most effective diet I have personally ever seen for short & long term weight loss would be by far the raw vegan diet followed by the cooked vegan diet.
I'm talking jaw dropping weight loss, reversing diabetes and endless other health benefits... I even cried once.
But what are the odds of you taking consistent action on this type of diet... slim to none so you really have to ask yourself do you really want to lose weight?
My honest belief is that if your not taking action, then you truly don't really want it.

You prolly didn't want to hear that but it's the truth sweetie. Also let me know if you need to know anything else about natural healthy long term weight loss, its my specialty.

Good luck kat,

diet fiend

Last edited by diet fiend; 12-20-2007 at 12:44 PM.
diet fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Am I understanding you correctly.... If Kat does not put into action this raw/cooked vegan diet, then she doesn't really want to lose the weight? I don't think there are many of us that could stick to such a restrictive eating plan, there are lots of other ways to lose the weight. I have to wonder if you are selling something....
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

and welcome to 3FC, kat!

I would like to respectfully disagree with dietfiend, and echo what Jay and the others have said. You need to find what works for YOU, because different things work for different people and different lifestyles. For some people that's raw veganism, for others it's Weight Watchers or calorie counting, for others it's intuitive eating, etc.

The primary things I would focus on at 18 are getting good, solid nutrition (lots of fruit and veg, lean protein, whole grains, etc.) and moving your body frequently. Treat your body with love, care and respect, because it's the only one you've got, and you want it to last you a long lifetime!

Last edited by practiceliving; 12-20-2007 at 01:19 PM.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote