General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/?/130

Height: 5'2

Question Presents for my boyfriends Parents... HELP!!!

My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship and it just so turns out that I am going to be stay at their house over christmas. This means doing the whole christmas mornign thing with an entirely different family...which I havent even done before. My problem is I have no idea what I am going to get his parents. His mom is extremely hard to buy for....she has alergies so candles and all smelly stuff is out, she doesnt take baths or anything like that so all that kinda stuff is out...basically all the things you think about getting a woman you dont really know. His dad is the same way...really picky. I was thinking about making them a big batch of christmas cookies cuz his family doesnt bake at all, so I figured a nice collection of homemade cookies would be good. Do you think that is a good idea? or should I get them soemthing else as well...and take the chance they dont like it or use it.

All suggestions are mroe then welcome....I would really appreciate it!
hcred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

The cookies might be a good idea or maybe a bottle of wine or a box of candy.Maybe a houseplant or a plant for the yard.Ask your bf what they like.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #3  

I have and he says the cookies will be fine...but I dont really believe him...and I'm 18 so wine doesnt really work, haha :-) but that house plant idea is awesome! thank you :-)

Last edited by hcred123; 12-14-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 258/218/169

Height: 5'9"

I'm thinking baked goods as a hostess gift when you walk in the door and then something else for Christmas morning. You could put together a collection of coffee, tea, cocoa or a gift card to their favorite restaurant.
Shrinking Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Food is always welcome

Cookies are a great idea, as is a plant.

Is your part of the country known for some food product that they may think is unusual? E.g. Wisconsin cheese, New England Maple Syrup, Louisiana Cajan spices, Texas chili powder. Even if it's actually common, it's neat when it's been hand carried by a native.

Good luck with the Christmas visit with new people.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Yes, gift baskets always go over well with my peripheral present group. Popcorn and a gift card for dvd rentals with hot chocolate or powdered apple cider is one of my favorite baskets to give. Another favorite basket is fun pastas and sauces, with some deli cheese like asiago. Add a sparkling cider or juice and a package of Pepperige Farm cookies - Milano maybe.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

... basket of kitchen gadgets... I love to give seasonal napkins...picture frame with a pic of you and their son...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #8  

Thank you all...those are great ideas :-)
Old 12-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

For the in laws I always give a gift certificate to a restaurant that they like in the area. Birthdays are always gift certificates for a couple of shows at the local cinema. One of those might work for your boyfriends parents.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

A DVD can also be a good idea... and give you something to do together if there's a lull. Pick a holiday movie and you'll be all set!
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #11  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Ok, they do not expect the world from you. Relax and be yourself. I have been through this (although a long time ago) and they don't expect you to spend a lot of money because they know you are 18.

Plant/Cookies when you arrive is a lovely idea, it means you are thinking about their hospitality and they are probobly struggleing too with what to get you.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

This year I got my boyfriends parents a gift set from bloomingtea.com. I think it's adorable! My 2nd choice was a NetFlix gift certificate. I know the "in-laws" are tough to buy for. I'm okay with dissapointing my own parents, but not his! Also, his parents live in MN. I've only met his mother 3 times and his father once, so I have to base the gift on what very little I knew without asking my boyfriend too many questions
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

You have lots of great ideas already! I think the cookies, some type of gift basket, or restaurant gift certificate would be perfect gifts. You could also give them something like an ornament for their Christmas tree or a poinsettia. Let us know what you decide on and have a great holiday!!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote