Old 07-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Default Favourite Cookbook(s)?

Hi all!

I'm looking for cookbook recommendations! I prefer books with healthy (obvs!) recipes with a lot of variety - everything from sides to entrees, snacks to desserts.

One of my favourites is the Best of the Best (from the Best of Bridge series). It's got a good mix of healthy every-day recipes, and slightly less healthy "entertaining" recipes that are easy to adapt.

Another favourite is the Rebar cookbook - it's the book from a great vegetarian restaurant in my hometown. I make their salads all the time - great as sides or as dinner on their own!

As much as I love those two, I would like some others to mix up the rotation a little. The boyfriend and I are starting to get a little bored with the same set of recipes constantly being rotated.

So - your favourite cookbooks. Priority to the healthy ones, though I'll take any recommendations!
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi Practice . . .

Have you taken a look at the three books by Canadians Janet and Greta Podleski ???? Not only full of good and healthy stuff, but also full of little tips and tidbits that will keep you chuckling as well.

Their three books are . . .

Looney Spoons
Crazy Plates
Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry

I also like just about anything by Sandra Woodruff, particularly her Good Carb Cookbook and her Secrets of Fat Free . . . . series.

All are available through Amazon.ca . . . don't forget to use the 3FC link to get to Amazon, of course.

Last edited by meowee; 07-23-2007 at 09:17 PM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

My very favorite is the Moosewood Cookbook. I know it is my favorite because although I must have a hundred cookbooks, this is the one with all the sauce spills all over it. I sauce-spilled up the original version and now am working on messing up the updated one "The New Moosewood Cookbook" (mostly updated to be lower fat I think.) I have never made a flop recipe from this. I have purchased other Moosewood and Mollie Katzen cookbooks that came out later but this one remains my fave!
Also Mollie Katzen (author) has a great website with recipes.

Last edited by Spinymouse; 07-23-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #4  
Moxiesd

S/C/G: 235/175/155

Height: 5'2"

A great book is "Recipes To Lower Your Fat Thermostat" Copyright 1984.. I don't know if they have an up-dated version or no...but it is well worth acquiring. The information on it is: Vitality House International, Inc.
3707 North Canyon Road #8-C
Provo, Utah 84604

They give a telephone number: 1-800-637-0708 This is probably 25 year old number...so don't know whether it's still good, or whether the book is still in publication.
moxiesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks for the suggestions!

Meowee - I *love* the Podleski sisters' cookbooks, I just don't own them. I keep trying to steal them from my parents, but they won't let me! I'm keeping an eye out for them at Costco, so hopefully I'll have them in the rotation soon.

Spinymouse - I know what you mean about the splattered books - that's how my Rebar one is! I'll look for the Moosewood, because I've heard good things about it before.
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:51 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My favorite cookbook isn't a book; it's a magazine and a website--Cooking Light. I subscribe to the magazine and I use the website all the time as well. Almost every recipe comes out fabulous, they provide spot-on nutritional info, and most recipes easily fit into my calorie plan. Even my SO, who is not dieting and normally doesn't like "diet" foods, commented on how great the recipes are.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

My favorite cookbooks are The South Beach Quick & Easy Cookbookand South Beach Taste of Summer Cookbook.
For cooking magazines, I love Cooking Light, Taste of Home, and Everyday Food. Most of the recipes in them can be easily adjusted to accomodate my diet, and always turn out great.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #8  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I also part of the "Cooking Light" fan club! I get the magazine but use the online recipes all the time! They have thousands of recipes and I've never made anything I didn't like from there, and as someone mentioned above they already figure out all the nutritional info for you! They also come out with full cookbooks you can order from their site or get in the bookstore.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #9