Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #1  
Smartypants

Default Finally! An all natural appetite suppressant without stimulants?????

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/le...tecontrol.html

I came across this while surfing. Now I have read other sites that talk about pine nuts reducing appetite naturally, and it seems like this product just has pine nuts in it, so it would be safe, yes? Who knows, just thought I'd throw that out there. What do you ladies think?
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

In my opinion, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #3  
Smartypants

I'm not saying it replaces a healthy diet, but those few, like myself, who naturally cannot suppress appetite through protein for example, and do not emotionally eat, it might be a nice supplement to take along with a healthy diet and exercise plan. It just might be true after all; there is tons of research on the web about it being great as a supplement:

web md http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060...l-cut-appetite
wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_nut_oil
medicinenet here http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=60784 I really think I'm onto something, if even doctors verify this wow

Last edited by txangelgirl; 12-10-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #4  
it's always something

Korean pine nut oil. Jennifer bought some after her nutritionist suggested it, and will report her results in a few days Though it's important to note that her nutritionist receives a kickback from the product
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #5  
Smartypants

interesting - yeah I think I'm gonna try some myself. Since I know 100% the real thing works for me (toasting pine nuts for a salad), I bet the oil would work too. I just think it would be more cost effective than paying $6 for a little bag of pine nuts.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #6  
it's always something

Are Korean pine nuts the same thing as the ones we buy at our local grocery stores? I'm not familiar enough with them to know. And as far as I know, it's just the Korean pine nut oil that has the appetite suppressing properties - if it's actually true. Keep in mind that supplement manufacturers can say anything and they don't have to prove it. It's an unregulated industry.

If you try it, please let us know what you think
Old 12-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Suzanne - the "pine nuts" we buy in the store aren't always the Korean pine nuts, but that is one of the most common varieties grown for consumption. So they are often the same ones as you buy at the store.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:22 AM   #8  
Smartypants

Hey Suzanne, I can't say if they are Korean or not, cause I only see Fidelgio's (sp??) pine nuts at the store, and those are the ones that I toast a couple tbsp to toss over my salad I was talking about; I would think that a pine nut is a pine nut ya know, regardless of where it came from. It's just a seed I believe, no it's the pineolic acid (I totally don't know how to spell that lol) specifically that has the appetite suppressing properties, whether or not its Korean. I looked at Kroger signature and Walgreens just cause it's night and I'm too lazy to go to GNC at 9pm but no dice. I'll go this weekend for sure, and keep you guys posted. The links I posted were just a handful of sites not selling the stuff but had some interesting things to say about it, especially webmd and medicinenet. Neat.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #9  
Smartypants

well I got some today yeahhhh and I discovered on webmd and other sites that it is specifically the pinolenic acid that suppresses the appetite, which is present in any pine nut, regardless of where it came from. I was starving, but then took three of these babies, and the hunger pains are g-o-n-e. You're supposed to take them right before a meal, so of course I'm going to continue taking them. We'll see....
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #10  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Please keep us posted with your results. My main problem with sticking to a diet is feeling hungry. Where did you buy it?
Thanks,
Donna
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #11  
Smartypants

http://www.vitaminworld.com/pages/fi...CID=&CPID=2994

this is exactly what I have, it's just pine nut oil capsules, 100% natural. I got mine from vitamin world, but gnc or any health food store carries it. the bottle says to take 3 capsules immediately before a meal. I also take one capsule of metamucil (natural psyllium fiber) with a glass of water before a meal, which also helps a lot. And since it's just pine nut oil, I don't foresee any reaction with the fiber, so I likely will be taking them together. I'm feeling a little fuller now, still hungry of course (it's been 7 hours since I ate last) but it sure is keeping me from snacking. I will continue to post my progress for sure. Oh I almost forgot, I also started taking a daily vitamin, I wasn't taking them before and I know I should.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #12  
it's always something

I don't want to hurt my reputation as Cynical Sue, so I have to throw out the following:

We've heard about pine nut oil for appetite suppression for a couple of years, but we've yet to hear of anyone actually seeing any benefit. Also, if it really was as good as they say, why isn't it a highly recommended product? So far, most of the recommendations come from those with financial stake in the product.

AND it looks like the only study done involved just 18 subjects, and was conducted by the manufacturer and not an independent organization.

It is recommended to take 3 grams 30 minutes before eating a meal. Subjects reported 29% less hunger (I think that was it, could have been 27). I'm not sure how they come up with a figure like that

One caveat: The vast majority of people do not overeat due to appetite. We surveyed over 10,000 people to find out why they overate. Was it due to true, physical hunger? Or was it due to stress, boredom, or other emotional eating patterns. Only 6% said they ate due to real hunger. Those are going to be the only people that benefit from an appetite suppressant, natural or not.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:42 AM   #13  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

I've been eating pine nuts the last couple of days. While I must admit it has helped me stop myself from snacking, I've been wondering if the 190 calories is worth it in the long run. I also wonder for how long it will work, lol.

What I've been doing is measuring out a serving, then dividing it up into three portions. I eat one portion about 15 minutes or so before my meal, and it does seem to help keep me from snacking inbetween meals.

I'll keep you posted as to whether this continues to work or not. I wish there was a lower calorie alternative, though.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #14  
Meg

I tried a bottle of Nutrabolics Super Fats, with pinolenic acid from Korean pine nuts. Unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing for me so far as appetite suppression. And I'm one who overeats because I'm hungry, so I was really hoping for a miracle. Darn it!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Steels,

There are tons of low calorie natural appetite suppressants. Anything with fiber is a natural appetite suppressants. Veggies are a great example of that. If you snacked on carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc before eating a meal, it would help fill you up and eat less calories during your meal.

Liquids are also great for filling you up naturally. Eating a low calorie soup such as a veggie soup before a meal would also act as a natural appetite supreesant.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote