Old 12-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Default Juicers? Does anyone use one?

I've been reading a lot about juicers lately and was thinking of getting myself one for Christmas. Just wondering if anyone has one and what you think about it?
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have one and I like it except it is a pain in the neck to wash. I have a Juice man Jr.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #3  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

If you can afford it, get a Vita-Mix! I had a Jack La Lanne Juicer and I gave it away after falling in love with the Vita-Mix. It makes juices without separating out any of the pulp/fiber so you get all of the fruit/vegs. Clean up is simple, you just pour some soapy water in it, turn it on, and rinse it out. Also it can be used the same way as a food processor with the chopping blade. You can chop nuts, vegetables, etc. You can make soup in it, make your own peanut butter, lots of stuff besides juicing!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:56 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
If you can afford it, get a Vita-Mix! I had a Jack La Lanne Juicer and I gave it away after falling in love with the Vita-Mix. It makes juices without separating out any of the pulp/fiber so you get all of the fruit/vegs. Clean up is simple, you just pour some soapy water in it, turn it on, and rinse it out. Also it can be used the same way as a food processor with the chopping blade. You can chop nuts, vegetables, etc. You can make soup in it, make your own peanut butter, lots of stuff besides juicing!
Yipes...I just looked at the price of the vita-mix. I don't think I'll be able to afford that right now. Any suggestions in the under $200 range?
Old 12-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I got a vitamix at costco, it was awesome!

I wouldn't recommend a juicer just because it takes the fiber out of the veggies/fruits and fiber is important.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 PM   #6  
breakfast rebel

The Vita-Mix sounds expensive but I use it. I never used my "juicer" because it was too much hassle. I use the Vita-Mix several times a week - sorry if I sound like a commercial! - so I think it is worth the cost.
Missingmyerica - my friend who i gave my juicer to has not used it either - he saw my vita-mix and bought one! So if you want a good deal on a Jack La Lanne Juicer -- never been used.... let me know!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
The Vita-Mix sounds expensive but I use it. I never used my "juicer" because it was too much hassle. I use the Vita-Mix several times a week - sorry if I sound like a commercial! - so I think it is worth the cost.
Missingmyerica - my friend who i gave my juicer to has not used it either - he saw my vita-mix and bought one! So if you want a good deal on a Jack La Lanne Juicer -- never been used.... let me know!

If you sound like a commercial... well....let's just say you do a good job, because now ..... I WANT A VITAMIX!!!!!!!!!!!

I researched the vitamix and it has great reviews. I've decided to wait, put a little more money together and invest in a vitamix!! I'll let you know how it goes....thanks for the advice. Vitamix should hire you!

What kinds of things do you make in yours?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:33 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have to admit that when I first saw the vitamix, there was no way I was getting one. Crazy expensive... Until I started reading about it.

I use my vitamix every morning to make a smoothie for breakfast/morning snack.

This morning my smoothie consisted of....
3 inch piece of english cucumber
1/2 cup (or so) of baby carrots
1/2 frozen banana
10 frozen strawberries
1/2 apple
1/2 stalk of celery
2-3 large handfuls of spinach
Some ice and water (I like a runnier smoothie so I add water)

Basically, I just throw whatever looks good and have a good mix of veggies and fruits.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #9  
breakfast rebel

If you go to the Vita-Mix website, then to Info Center, and then scroll down to "dowload brochure" you will see an impressive list of 30-something things you can do with the machine. When I bought mine, I had 1. a food processor which I had used frequently but I had to throw it in the dumpster because the motor died 2. an ordinary blender which I seldom used and 3. a juicer which I never used becaue it seemed intimidating. I went to the Mid-State Fair and was in one of those happy-fair-going moods after having beer and rides and goat-petting, so I was feeling more impulsive and jovial than usual. I went to the building where they sell home things and there was a young, joking-around, animated woman demonstrating the Vita-Mix and giving out samples of all kinds of things from peanut butter to soup to an ice cream -like thing that was made from protein powder and ice and honey and she put cabbage in it and it just tasted like ice cream - not like cabbage, and in a WOWed state I bought one. I got rid of the blender and juicer and never got another food processor because this gizmo does the work of all three. When you think of it that way, it's not so expensive! I especially like to use it when I make garden burgers; I grind almonds and oats. The possibilities are endless!

Last edited by Spinymouse; 12-14-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #10  

I have a Vitamix they ARE pricey. There is a new Juicemen being advertised on an informercial that will let you split up payment and it looks just like the Vitamix and has a much better warrenty then my vitamix does.The new Juiceman does the same things my much beloved vitamix does at a much better price.The new juicemen also leaves the fiber in instead of extracting it.
lynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #11  
breakfast rebel

Wow, Lynna - I had to look it up!
From the specs I saw it looks like the Juiceman has a 0.5 hp motor. The Vita-Mix has a 2 hp motor. So I still have no regrets about my Vita-Mix!
But yes, the Juiceman is way cheaper! Might be a good choice for a lot of people!
Old 12-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #12  

Wow that is a big difference. I just caught the back half of the commercial. Either way I think the friut juices made with these machines will be so much better then store bought esp people with sugar issues.Thanks for the info.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #13  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I have one of the first models of Vita-Mix ever made My mother in law used it once and then it collected dust in their basement for years. She gave it to me

This makes creams, soups, ice cream, baby food, juice etc etc etc.
I have yet to try it - just no time to sit and read the manuals LOL. But it came with a huge cookbook
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #14  
hara hachi bu

I had a juicer once, but I didn't use it because it was a hassle to clean. Save yourself the trouble and buy one of the easy-clean ones, even if you have to wait a few more months. I'd say it's worth it.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:21 AM   #15  

The cool think with both the mixers mentioned here is that all you have to do when finished is add warm water and a very LITTLE bit of soap and turn it on for maybe up to a min and a clean mixer with no hassle. Now if only ALL our gadgets could do that VBG.