View Poll Results: What hair length do you think looks best on overweight women in general?
short 8 20.51%
medium (shoulder length) 21 53.85%
long 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Hair length/styles

Just generally what do you think looks better on overweight women, short/long or medium length hair?

I had short hair and I mean Demi Moore in Ghost short hair since about high school (20 years! Yikes!) and then was tired of the same do and started growing it out a couple of years ago. Now it is a few inches past my shoulders and I'm tired of that also. It nice in a way for the versitility, putting it up etc but it is high maintenance and it seems like there is hair everywhere! I have to sweep my bathroom floor almost daily or it looks disgusting. So I'm thinking about a return to short hair but I'm wondering in general what length of hair or hair style looks best on overweight women?
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #2  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I think it's a personal choice.

Right now mine is long (well past my shoulders) and I love being able to do lots of things with it. Talk to the person who cuts your hair. A good cut will look good.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I love short hair, but I haven't had it short in a while because of my weight. I just didn't want to expose neck fat and jowls any more than necessary, ick! But once I lose the weight I'll probably go back to short.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have short and people say it looks good on me. I'd like to go longer, but my hair is thin and it just ends up looking stringy.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I always thought short to medium hair looked better on anyone, fat or thin. Although I've seen many women who have long hair and cut it and they looked so much thinner.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:16 AM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

I think it depends dramatically on how your face is shaped. At my heaviest (210) and at my lightest (151), I had long hair (I define "long" as being about mid-shoulder blade length or below). However, I've always had layers cut into it--layered around my face and into the rest of the hair. I have very fine hair, so it helps give my hair body and it helps my face look thinner. I've had a shorter cut (up to my chin) and the pictures from that time are some of the LEAST flattering I've ever seen of myself.

I personally only like short hair on people who have very thin faces...I feel that short hair makes round faces look rounder (which is why I've never cut mine that short!). That and there's that whole "soccer mom" thing about short hair. However, if you like your hair short, then you should rock the short hair! I admire people who are willing to put themselves out there by chopping all their hair off.

With all that said (and I meant NO offense to anyone who has short hair), I think you should go to your hairdresser and ask what he/she thinks when you go in. I discovered what style looks best with my face by doing that, and I've had a similar hair cut/length for several years

Last edited by Azure; 12-13-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #7  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

I agree with Azure. I wish I could rock short hair but it's just not right on me. I think layers are key. I have long hair, past the bra strap, long hair but it actually looks very similar to Azure's you wounldn't know it was that long untill i turn around.
Now I have a friend who is overwieght and short (5.1ish) and she has long hair down to A$$ and it's all one length. Not flattering, it brings her down & makes her look old and but she likes it. I think a hairsylist would have the best adivce.

Last edited by lostchick; 12-13-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: adding picture
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #8  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

In my experience, hairdressers don't like to cut hair. When I wanted to cut about a foot off of mine a year or so ago, I had to argue for fifteen minutes for it. In the end, though, it ended up looking really good. I think it's really a personal preference. Try looking at pictures of people with different haircuts and imagining how you'd look with that hair. In fact, I think there are a couple of websites where you can scan a picture of yourself and stick different hair on to see how it would look.

Good luck, whatever you do.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #9  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

I used to have a program that would do that and it was hysterical playing around on it.
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

Hair is truly a matter of personal choice.
When my hair was short and I had it auburn my family hated it.
Now it is blonde and medium length and somedays I would like to cut it short but I do like it better now.
When my hair was short I was 50 and more pounds heavier and I think it made me look even fatter.
I have seen women that had it long and cut like those makeovers but most of those women have no style. They wear it long and straight and look like it hasn't been cut in 20 years. Of course you are going to look better if you get it cut and haven't taken care of your hair for years. I think it you want your hair long you need to get it trimmed at least 3 times a year so it doesn't look so stringy and damaged. Just my opinion.

Last edited by sharonrr1; 12-13-2007 at 12:03 PM.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

yup I agree - so much depends on the shape of your face and age as well - i know for myself shortish/mediumy is best, NOT hitting right at the doublechin with a big sign saying HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOO hahahahah and once I hit about 35 I cut my long hair, after a certain age long & flowy hair looks a bit suspect (on me), or twisting it in a bun can be matronly

although having long hair I got it cut & thinned out a few times a year, now i have to go every 6 weeks

Last edited by Trazey34; 12-13-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I have had long (past the shoulders a couple inches) hair for a long time. I have wavy/curly hair and it makes me feel sexy. I have gotten a lot of compliments on my hair so I am not cutting it short anytime soon!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #13  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

My 2 cents, it all depends on face shape. My face is very round and full at my higher weights. It takes awhile to see a difference in my face when I lose weight. I have had my hair in a short bob, or long past the bra strap. I get the most compliments on my hair when it is med/long. Although I know some heavier women who do not show the weight in their faces and can pull off the short hair and it looks great. For me, I prefer med to long hair without bangs. Keeping your hair neatly trimmed and colored (if needed) helps greatly too.

The Ladies Home Journal magazine has a "Try a Hairstyle" program where you can upload your photo and try on hairstyles. It's pretty entertaining.
http://www.lhj.com/lhj/story.jhtml?s...e_06292004.xml
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:59 PM   #14  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I think that face shape, your age and the condition of your hair are bigger things than weight when considering hairstyles. I love long hair, I love MY long hair, but I hate it when women wear their hair very long with no shape or style to it. I think hair much past the bra strap is aging and a very dated look. I honestly can't think of a single person that is flattered by waist length hair. I hate short hair on myself. I think it makes me look frumpy and old. JMO
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #15  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaHoarder View Post
I think it's really a personal preference. Try looking at pictures of people with different haircuts and imagining how you'd look with that hair. In fact, I think there are a couple of websites where you can scan a picture of yourself and stick different hair on to see how it would look.

Good luck, whatever you do.
I did exactly this. When I decided to get my hair cut (it was quite long, and very fine and hard to take care of) I scanned in my picture and printed out my 3 favorite cuts. I let dh choose the one he liked best. He loved my long hair and I thought it would help him adjust to see me in the style before I walked in the door with it. I always thought that at 215 lbs. I could not pull off short hair. But I found a chin-length style that was quite flattering. For me, some height on top, closely cropped sides and chin length actually made me look younger. While I agree that longer hair allowed me more flexibility, and tended to thin my face - it also pulled the eye down and at 50, several people told me that I looked much younger after I got it cut.

Thinner, or younger - tough choice - LOL

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-13-2007 at 08:03 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote