Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

Default Anyone switch from artificial sweeteners to sugar?

Seems these days, everytime I pick up a pack of Sweet N Low, I get a moan or groan from SOMEONE telling me I shouldn't use it and to use real sugar instead. I like splenda, but it's not everywhere. What I'm asking is, what's the deal with this? I've started using real sugar in place of artificials a few days ago. Anyone ever make the change and notice any differences? I don't use it often. I have a coffee in the morning and MAYBE one in the afternoon, occasionally. Should I stick with the real stuff?
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I try to use no sweeteners at all. If I buy products, I rather see cane juice than artificial sweeteners but that is also rare.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 164/138/120

Height: 5'2"

I actually have stevia but I thought it was vile I will use cane sugar if it's available, but between regular sugar and artificial, I am wondering what my best choice is.
ThePrettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My opinion is that it is up to you, and it depends on your goals.

I haven't used sugar in years, except for Sucanat (sugar cane natural) now and then. I don't sweeten my coffee.

I will also sometimes use honey or 100% maple syrup if I want to sweeten something. Some say that that's just the same as refined sugar, but I don't believe it is. They are whole foods, not processed, even though the cals. are the same.

I have used more artifical sweeteners during weight loss in the form of diet sodas. I prefer Pepsi One because it is sweetened with Splenda instead of aspartame.

You'll find there are people on both sides of the fence, each insisting they are right. You'll need to do some research into actual data, if you want to make a decision based on real information.

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:30 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Personally, I try to use the most natural product available, and as infrequently as possible. But even more importantly, I've "trained" myself to like my foods less sweet (not adding sugar to coffee/tea). I'd say if you don't have a strong opinion either way, use whichever you prefer. The key is to keep your consumption to "trace elements" and not "food group". LOL
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I don't worry that much about artificial sweeteners. I let myself get to a million pounds and now I'm going to worry about a bag of sweetener? Don't think so. Seems a bit like worrying about a little smoke when your house is burning down.

I like Splenda and just carry some packets in the bottom of my purse for places that don't have it.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't sweeten beverages--I only add a tsp. of brown sugar to my oatmeal in the morning. I truly do avoid artificial sweeteners wherever possible. I don't even drink pop.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:20 AM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I use honey most of the time or sugar...I try to avoid artificial sweeteners. I think in the long run I get more cravings with artificial sweeteners, I am better off just reducing my sweet-tooth. Now do I think it matters what you put in your coffee - no not really. But I do think that having sweetened desserts (SF jello, icecream, pudding, etc) definitely causes me to spiral fast. Much faster than the real stuff.

Actually Jay - there was a study recently that showed that honey had some chemical that reduced cholesterol or improved HDL or something good. So finally something that shows honey is better than sugar...I think a specific type of honey was best...buckwheat? cant remember.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #9  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I don't use artificial sweeteners, I try to stay away from artificial anything. There aren't that many calories in sugar and from all I have read the artificial stuff just isn't good for the body in many ways. I have found, I don't like things as sweet as I use to. Most of my carbs come from the bread and cereal group and fruits. I think a person can use what they want. Lowering the amounts we use is the key.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #10  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I would never put anything in my mouth that was artificially sweetened, not even a stick of gum.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:30 PM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Seems everyone is pretty set on being anti-artificial sweetener, but I'll throw in one plus for the artificial camp: artificial sweeteners don't mess with your blood sugar like cane sugar does. Which is really only important if you have issues with blood sugar levels.

Me personally, I don't like things very sweet to begin with. BUT, in the off chance I do want to sweeten something like oatmeal or an iced coffee, I use Splenda. I don't use it frequently enough to worry about long-term health problems... I figure getting my weight down will far outweigh any perceived negative health outcomes from a packet of splenda once in a blue moon.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I use artificial sweetener every day in my coffee. I drink diet soda regularly. I also occasionally have sf cocoa or pudding.

But I also try to limit the use where I can. I do like to use honey and maple syrup when I can...

I guess I'm okay with moderate use. But I agree with Jay -- if you really are concerned look for good, solid information about the topic and the issues that are pertinent to you.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
Seems everyone is pretty set on being anti-artificial sweetener, but I'll throw in one plus for the artificial camp: artificial sweeteners don't mess with your blood sugar like cane sugar does. Which is really only important if you have issues with blood sugar levels.
Actually for me it does and worse, which is the main reason I avoid.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm another "moderate use". I am severely allergic to saccharin and aspartame, but Splenda has been a wonderful tool. I have a diet soda maybe once a week, bake with once in a while, etc. I drink my coffee black, except a once-a-week Americano, which gets two packets of Splenda. Hasn't affected my weight loss in the slightest, and I believe it to be safe in moderate amounts.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

Well, I think I am in the minority. I use it and more than moderately! I put it in my coffee cup (3 packets, it's a big cup!) I have that 2 x a day. Plus I put 1 packet in my cereal each morning. So I have 7 packets a day everyday. I also drink flavored waters (that are also sweetened) through out the day. So that is what I do. Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote