Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 PM   #1  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

S/C/G: 289/275/200

Height: 5'3"

Default I am retaining water! Help me please!

Hiya chicks!

I am still feeling very down. I think my biggest problem is that I have stopped taking all of my meds. I have bipolar disorder and have stopped taking all of my meds for that and my diabetes. I am back up to 272lbs. which is totally destroying me inside.

Anyway, on to the problem I want to talk to you about. I am a week late (tom) which has not happened for over a year. I have always had a strict, timely 26 day cycle. Well, lately I have been feeling extremely bloated and I am sure that I am retaining water. Sooo, my question is how do I get rid of it? My sister's wedding is this weekend and I am her matron of honor. My dress is sooo tight and I know I weigh less than I did when I bought it.

Sorry if it doesn't make any since and thanks in advance.
rachelfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 PM   #2  
baby steps

S/C/G: 285/285/healthy!

Height: 5'9"

It's going to sound silly, but drinking more water really helps with water retention issues. I know that if I don't drink at least a liter of water a day, I'm going to be bloated and feel crappy.

Maybe try slowly ramping up your water until you find something that works for you? It also could have something to do with your sodium intake.
xtrisaratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:51 PM   #3  
it's always something

Great advice! Drink more water, cut back the sodium, and have a great time at the wedding
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #4  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

thank you very much! I don't put salt on anything but i know that isnt' the only way you get sodium so I don't know. Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

a lot of pre-packaged foods are loaded with sodium. If you are eating the frozen meals or any other things packaged, look at the sodium on the label and you'll probably find the culprit. I used to have lots of problems with retaining water, so bad my ankles were always swollen up. I heard somewhere to drink half my body weight in water, and that has stopped the bloating problem completely! I also watch the packaged foods as much as possible.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #6  
baby steps

I know that if I eat more than one Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones packaged frozen meal a day, I will pay for it severely the next day. I don't salt anything either, but I still have to pay attention to the sodium content in packaged things, if I eat them.

Have fun at the wedding!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #7  
Going down, my way!

S/C/G: 287/240.8/180/ 3/19/16

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
a lot of pre-packaged foods are loaded with sodium. If you are eating the frozen meals or any other things packaged, look at the sodium on the label and you'll probably find the culprit. I used to have lots of problems with retaining water, so bad my ankles were always swollen up. I heard somewhere to drink half my body weight in water, and that has stopped the bloating problem completely! I also watch the packaged foods as much as possible.
I had bad edema (funny, I just finished a post about this on the weight loss surgery board ) and after going through horrible swollen ankles, a friend of mine told me to drink more water to flush it out. I also remember my Mom having the same problem years ago, and her doctor told her to elevate her feet when she slept at night, just above heart level. I've been doing that for over two years now, and between the water and feet elevating, I don't have any more problems with the edema and have been off of the fluid pills for over a a year and a half.

I agree with watching the sodium in frozen foods- also, anything "Light"- sour cream, mayo, salad dressings, even bread has high sodium, so watch out for those things as well.

Last edited by Steelslady; 12-10-2007 at 11:27 PM.
Steelslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #8  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

So does that mean I would drink136 oz. of water a day? That is how I understood it. Please correct me if I am wrong. If that is true I have alot to drink!
Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 AM   #9  
baby steps

For a while, I tried the whole "half your body weight in ounces" thing, and honestly, for a few days, I felt sick. Ever felt like you're swimming in your own skin? Not a nice feeling, let me tell ya.

I used it as an approximation, a starting point, and worked my way down until I found something that worked for me. Right now, I'm sitting at about just under 3 liters of water a day. I have a big 1.5 liter water bottle, and I try to drink it twice through the day.

I think we all just sorta have to find what works for us and our own bodies and lives, and just work around it. Some people can drink loads of water and never have a problem, some drink more than a liter a day and are miserable with running back and forth to the bathroom.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Yes, lots of water is good..to flush out water. My doctor once told me that asparagus are a natural diruretic. Who knew...some so tastey also helps us get rid of extra water. However, I am not sure how much you'd have to actually eat to make it effective.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #11  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I have a problem with water weight gain when I eat too much sodium. Does anyone know how much sodium we are suppose to have in a da? There is sodium in almost everything!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I agree, not everyone can do the half your body weight thing, but if you want to get out the extra water it could be worth a try. I couldn't do it at first, but the more I got into working out the more I naturally started to drink. I will drink a 20 oz. bottle before working out, another during it, and sometimes half of one to a full one after! Then all I drink during the day now is water, so 6 bottles are easy most days. I will sometimes pick up a bottle and just drink whole thing straight down, helps curb the appetite as well. But, I agree with Sara, you have to experiment and see what works for you.

Oh, and the running to the bathroom thing only lasted for about a week, now I go like a normal person anytime I go over 6 bottles I'll be up and down all night though.

Last edited by Purplefirefly; 12-11-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

rachelfern, I second the water thing, It really works.

Now, a question: Have you stopped taking your meds on a doctor's advice? Diabetes and bi-polar are both not things to mess around with. Sorry, this is definitely not my business and you don't have to answer, just I have family members with both of those conditions and when my DH took himself off his diabetes meds, it was not a good thing. Hope you are okay.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #14  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

You should have a max of 2400 mg of sodium per day. Just eating a few prepackaged foods can put you at that amount. Most people also forget that sodium can be found in things you least expect it, like milk, SF puddings, cereals and a lot of sweet stuff.

Vitamin C is also supposed to help you shed water. I know some people who drink cranberry juice, or tea with lemon to help get rid of excess water. The key is to drink more. Once your cells have their sodium to water ratio balanced - then you will shed the excess.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:50 AM   #15  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

Wow thanks everyone! You all have helped me so much.

Schmoodle, I have no problem answering your question. I am very open. I quit taking it on my own. I have always had a hard time sticking with my meds. My mind plays tricks on me. I know, I know I am a very bad girl. A big thing with me is that I feel so guilty. My dh lost his job last January and just got a new one a month ago. I have had no insurance and my mom has paid for everything. We don't get insurance until March 1. Again, I know, a bad girl. Thank you for caring enough to ask.

And thanks again all you chicks!