Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default how many servings of carbs while losing weight?

Hi ya'll--

I was wondering... I know that the Fed. Govt has guidelines for servings per food groups... and here's my question.

Question: If a person is trying to lose weight and sticks to a 1,200-1,300 calorie diet... how many servings of starchy carbs should a person have per day?

(It would obviously have to be lower than the general recommended # of carb/grain servings for people who don't have to lose weight.)

And, part 2 of my question is: if the servings of starchy carbs (even if it in the form of whole grains) are "too low," like 3-4 servings a day, does that mean the person trying to lose weight will experience water weight loss instead of fat weight loss?

(If so, then for how long will the water weight loss be in effect before you go back to fat weight loss?)

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 12-09-2007 at 07:15 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

If you're doing Atkins Induction, its 20 grams of carbs per day from foods on the acceptable foods list:http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkin...eptable-foods/

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #3  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

You may lose some water weight in the beginning but you will also be losing fat. The water weight should mostly be in the first week as long as you are drinking enough. I personaly avoid all starchy foods, so the amount you eat is realy a personal choice. I get most my carbs from veg.

Last edited by Puncezilla; 12-11-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Not sure if this will help but I allow myself from 1200 calories, 30 grams fat and 180 carbs to 1400 calories, 35 grams fat and 210 carbs. So far, knock on wood, I have lost at least 1lb a week for the last 29 weeks. Depending on what kind of food lifestyle you want to live will depend on carbs. I eat the four basic food group food style. You are to have 2 servings of fruits a day for example. You have to have carbs to get these eaten. The required amounts of the four basic food groups are important for a healthy diet if you choose to eat this way.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-12-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:42 AM   #5  

During weight loss I stayed under 20 carbs. I ate lean protein and vegetables. To maintain I simply cannot load up on carbs. If I eat too much bread, rice, potatoes or even drink too many cocktails I will gain instantly.
Koren Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

mine changes depending on what day of the week i'm in due to that days activities. i.e sat/sun i can stick religiously to the induction as i'm just in bed all day being a slob. (its great!) week days i need generally 20-25 as i'm walking around climbing stairs and the usual things. Wed i needs lots as i play 3 hours of badminton in the evening so i usually have around 50g normally in the form of banana's to keep me going on court
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote