South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #1  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Default What are your non-negotiables?

One of the things I've learned from all my failed diets (well, actually failed maintenance - very successful diets) is that I have to figure out what things are not negotiable. What can't I successfully give up and how do I fit those things into a successful weight loss program.

I know I love crunchy, salty snacks. I've discovered soy crisps and I can eat them in the appropriate serving size. Sometimes a couple of pickles or pepperoncini will do the trick. That works for me and I haven't been near a potato chip or cheese curl since day 1, nor have I felt the need.

We like to eat out and do it fairly often. I'm lucky because I live in an area that values whole foods, vegetarian and ethnic foods, and locally produced stuff. It's not that hard to eat out and make good choices. I refuse to pass on the vegetarian hot and sour soup, even though I'm sure it has a little corn starch. I happen to think it's the perfect food and if I get a cold I'll eat quarts of it if I can convince my sweetie to drive into town and pick some up! I did make the mistake of ordering an omelet today. I ate a little more than half with mixed greens instead of potatoes or toast and had heartburn soon after. Won't do that again!

I thought real pasta would be on my list. I just can't eat whole wheat/grain pasta. Yuck. However I have realized it's the sauce I really want and so I make a sauce loaded with veggies - eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms, peppers, and some veggie ground with a sprinkle of good grated cheese. It's really yummy and I don't need the pasta under it.

So far I haven't missed chocolate. If I do I'm ready with a small piece of really dark chocolate but I just haven't felt the urge so far. I'm sure I will at some point though

How about you? What are the things you won't give up and how do you fit them in?
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Traditions are non-negotiable. I'd rather have a small piece of regular birthday cake than to try to substitute cake with something else. Pumpkin and apple pies will be served at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will be making cookies this Christmas but I will be setting myself a limit for consumption.

I thought I'd miss cereal more than I do, but I could really take or leave it now. I do have a new-found love of oatmeal, though.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 203/195/185- mini goal

Height: 5 7

I really thought I'd miss cereal too Kara. But I eat this hot multi-grain soy flaxseed cereal in the morning with berries and could care less if I saw a cheerio or captain crunch again.

I can't do the wheat pasta. yuck.

Cappacino from Speedway gas station. (I'm sad I know) But I don't miss it one bit. Although at 5am and it's 19 degrees out and my car has no heat I'm craving the warmth alittle but I have not slipped once in 2 months.

Last edited by lostchick; 12-09-2007 at 05:31 PM.
lostchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Chocolate, no doubt.
I can easily live without the bread, chips, pasta, potatoes, rice, cereal, juice, fast food.
I could do without fruit, wine, alcohol although I'd miss it some.
But just give me a square of dark chocolate and then leave me alone for five minutes once every couple of weeks, or I will go insane.

BTW, I think the latest guidance on the cornstarch is that a little used in cooking is okay, right mods?
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Dark Chocolate, red wine and coffee. I don't have to have the wine or chocolate everyday but once in a while is great. And coffee is ABSOLUTELY necessary everyday.
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Coffee as many times as I've tried to kick it I can't.
My favorite way is with splenda 1 or 2% and a splash of vanilla. once in a while with *cough* cream from Dunkins
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I can't believe I forgot coffee! Yeah, coffee was the one South Beach thing I never followed. I've given up lots of bad habits but coffee is the one I refuse to give up I'm a 3-4 cup a morning girl, with an extra cup at 5 if I have to work late. And it has to be good coffee - dark, organic, freshly ground.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Cyndi- I'm right there with you. I've got a grinder in my kitchen next to the dark roast whole beans. At least 4 cups a day. Unfortunately caffeine doesn't wake me up or keep me awake so I can literally drink a cup and go to bed. It's the taste I can't seem to live without.
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #9  
Pregnant w/PCOS

S/C/G: On Hold

Height: 5'4

Well, I don't drink coffee or alcohol so those are easy for me. I am with Kara on this, there are certain traditional holiday foods we have in our house that we will just have to go off plan for. It is a planned "off plan" for us so I don't expect it to throw us off at all.

Well, there is one more thing, I HATE brown rice. I usually sub a small portion of Jasmine rice for brown rice. This time around I am really hoping to stick to what is allowed though (except on holidays).
LoveMySgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #10  

schmoodle - a little cornstarch in cooking is fine during phase 2. In phase 1, you can substitute arrowroot. Even in phase 2, I will sometimes use a mix of the two to reduce the amount that is used.

LoveMySgt - Have you tried Uncle Ben's Converted rice? It is allowed on South Beach and is every bit as good as white rice. I use it whenever I use rice.

I love whole wheat pasta. In fact, the few times I have tried regular pasta since starting South Beach a few years ago, I have found I no longer like regular pasta. I do try to add lots of vegetables to it so that my portion size isn't too large.

Good dark chocolate is my favorite and I do like to have some of it occasionally but I have portion control issues with it so I have to be careful.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #11  
mots

S/C/G: 237/185/170

Coffee and coffee and did i mention, Coffee? Sorry, that's the one thing i can't do without.......... i even tried de-caffinated and got a serious migraine. Something that do to 'de' it that just puts me down. Yeah, coffee.......in fact, i'm sipping some now and even when You read this much later today, i'll probably be sipping some then too!........... Sorry Dr. A! i'd rather go without air.
Best!mots
mots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #12  
Pregnant w/PCOS

S/C/G: On Hold

Height: 5'4

Barb - went to the store today and got the converted, thanks!
LoveMySgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:01 AM   #13  
Visualizing the Goal

I was just asked today by my lovely husband, "You're not going to make the cookies low-cal or anything, are you?" so evidently cookies are definitely non-negotiable!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote