General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #1  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Default Happy Chanukah!

Happy Chanukah!

I know that the tradition is to cook in oil (as a special treat we fried our falafel for dinner last night instead of oven baking like we usually do ) but does anyone have some lighter festive recipes? I've decided I'm not making my future MIL's recipe for cheese blintz with a stick of butter and half a dozen eggs casserole this year. Just can't bring myself to do it. I might make some sweet potato latkes over the weekend, but please do share if you have some healthier traditions in your family!

Last edited by shananigans; 12-05-2007 at 12:31 PM.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Woohoo! Happy Hanukkah!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Vegetarian Times had some lightened up Chanukah recipes in their latest holiday issue. They should be online at their website.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

How about these?

Nechama Cohen, Founder and Executive Director of the Jewish Diabetes Association (JDA) and author of EnLITEned Kosher Cooking, shares this low-carb, low-fat recipe for Cauliflower Latkes (Pancakes). Enjoy a healthy Hanukkah by preparing these Cauliflower Latkes instead of high-carb Potato Latkes.
INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs plus 2 egg whites
1 small onion, peeled
1 (2-pound) package of frozen cauliflower thawed and drained very well or
1 fresh head, steamed and drained very well
2 tablespoons soy or whole-wheat flour
salt and pepper to taste
non-stick cooking spray
2 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
PREPARATION:
1. Process eggs and onion using a food processor and knife blade, until chopped well.
2. Add cauliflower, soy or regular flour and seasonings. Mix until finely chopped; do not over process.
3. Wipe a non-stick frying pan with a paper towel dipped in oil and spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Put on medium heat. Wait until hot and drop batter by tablespoonfuls into pan. Fry 4-5 minutes until firm and browned on both sides.

YIELD: 16 servings

TIP:
To fry EnLITEned Latkes, with each new batch, spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray and wipe the pan with oil as well. Be patient with these pancakes and fry them until they are firm and cooked through, or they will fall apart when flipped.

VARIATION: Substitute and/or combine with spinach, broccoli etc.

NUTRITION FACTS:
Serving size 1 latke, (oz) 2, (g) 60
Calories 37
Protein (g) 2.8
Carbs (g) 2.5
Fat (g) 1.8
Sat. Fat (g) 0.3
Cholesterol (mg) 21
Sodium (mg) 72
Calcium (mg) 28
Fiber (g) 1
Exchanges: Free vegetable 1 Fat 1/2