Old 12-07-2007, 05:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Your strategies for getting thru Dec?

This time of the year is especially challenging for folks wanting to lose weight (or not gain). What are your strategies, plans or goals for getting thru this very, very busy and food filled month.

Let's share. Here are mine:

- plan each day to be healthy and delicious

- take each Christmas party/gathering (I've counted 5 for me besides Christmas and Christmas eve.) - one at a time - using my best strategies for enjoying the party without feeling deprived

- stretch, meditate, journal my food

- allow myself planned traditional foods right around Christmas - in moderation without guilt

- have a sane relationship with food this month

- remember to concentrate on friends and family - NOT food

- get to the pool
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 AM   #2  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I am going to tell the truth, I am totally angry with myself right now, because of how much I am struggling. I don't celebrate xmas, I don't go to holiday parties, but the cold and dark makes me want to be eating and makes it hard to want to go out in the evening and walk, or even be outside and read a book instead of being inside. My holiday does involve some food, but I don't plan to cook for a mob, just my family, I am not sure what to do for dessert, a carrot cake, or pumpkin bread, I am a sweet freak, and can easily eat 2-3 pieces of carrot cake.
I am not going to give up though. I still exercise daily , and am trying to get back on plan, I also am not going to have unhealthy snacks around the house, when the kids get off of school, I usually buy them things to snack on , not this year, and I also know as long as I don't give up I can succeed one day!! I can do this!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #3  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

My plan is to try to maintain focus, and follow each day the same as if it were any other normal day of the year rather than the holiday season.

1. Continue to fit exercise into my day, no matter how busy I am. It's like brushing teeth or taking a shower: a necessary part of the day.

2. All at home meals should be handled same as always....good, healthy, planned food.

3. Shopping dates with friends? No reason for me to fall off plan. Any restaurant we go to will have some sort of healthy choice on the menu, and if we're at the mall, every food court has a Subway...I don't need to eat Chinese food just because my friend is. I need to remember that celebrating the holiday does not mean eating myself into oblivion for the whole month!

4. Traveling? Our WHOLE family goes to Branson every year during the holiday, and this year's trip is next weekend. As I'm always in charge of the whole darn thing, I chose a hotel with a huge continental buffet breakfast that includes fresh fruit. I can have fruit for breakfast and throw a piece or two in my bag for a healthy snack later in the day. Now, that cinnamon pull apart bread at the bakery inside SDC? I'm planning on walking ALL day so I can splurge a little and have some. On plan does not mean deprivation!

Last edited by boaterswife; 12-07-2007 at 08:06 AM.
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

My strategy:
Plan to maintain in December. If I lose, wonderful, if not, no worries.
Unless there is a holiday party or something, every day is just another on-plan day.
Cut back on baking and come up with healthy alternatives.
For special events, plan for a small treat, but stay on-plan as much as possible.
Keep in mind that no matter how well I do, I will be much better off than last year!

This is a great thread idea, I'm sure I'll come back here for inspiration many times over the next couple of weeks!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #5  
beautiful on the inside:P

S/C/G: 119 (262) /107 (235) /60 (132)

Height: 5'6''

I have been thinking hard about this for a few days now (mainly because in my first social foray this month I really blew it) I think I am going to use a variety of strategies. First, I am only going to go to "eat-y" Christmas parties/events that I really want to go to. Alas, it just seems that one touch of sugar these days throws me RIGHT off, so I want to limit those situations to the people who understand my need to refuse certain foods. Second, I am going to go later (or earlier) to some events, so I can eat at home, and then just go wherever to have a drink/socialize. Finally, I am going to try to exercise like the dickens hopefully that will have the double benefit of keeping my mind off food and also allowing me a little more leeway calorie wise.
kasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #6  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Went to a work Christmas lunch yesterday and they had FRIED CHICKEN....
I took 1 pc of white meat and peeled off the outside. That's it. Went back to work and ate my fruit. No huge family parties here, no cookies, no baked things, nothing. Man, did I luck out. If I get tempted, I go iron clothes and look at all of the new outfits I got. Pretty much squashes the temptation.
Good luck to all of you during the holidays!!!
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

I heard a cute phrase at my WW meeting from my leader and I'm trying to put it into action as much as possible.

"SEE":

Sleep: Make sure I'm getting a good amount of rest each night. It's essential!

Eating Well: During this time of year, especially, this is a difficult thing, but to continue to choose the best foods for meals, because it will pay off in the end.

Exercise: Even a little bit of exercise can help energize me, and keeps me going.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #8  

Sounds like everyone has a well thought out plan. I'm only using one strategy...think about everything I put in my mouth. No more busy snacking while watching TV or on the computer
ericajones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

My plan is pretty basic. Continue on as usual except for Christmas Eve and Christmas day. This what I did last year. I may up my exercise the week of Christmas. I did that for Thanksgiving and it seemed to help in 2 ways. #1 it burned more calories which gave me more wiggle room. #2 it helped me to keep a good mind set when it came to eating that day. The only traditional eating I *may not* do is eat cinnimon buns for breakfast Christmas morning. Last year I got a little out of control and felt ill. I have very few foods I have to eliminate for fear of a binge, but that may be one of them. But, last year I was only into this life change for 2 months, maybe I will have more control this year. Good luck everyone! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

My strategy is to just hang on. Illustrated here

Last edited by Sandi; 12-07-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Sandi!!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

1. Stay busy.
2. Don't deny myself treats, but limit them (ie. ONE cookie, ONE chocolate)
3. Stay busy.
4. Keep up with my treadmilling, even when I'm exhausted.
5. Try to catch up on my sleep. Oy.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #13  
No description available.

ROFLOL, Sandi!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #14  

I just need to keep doing what I'm doing. I'm not going to change one thing.

Hellokitty, hang in there!

Sandi, too funny
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Sandi....you crack me up!

Reading all the strategies is very helpful. I am thinking that this year it's possible to have a "sane food" Christmas season. - taking it a day at a time, of course. Thanks everyone.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote