General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Geez! People! Lay off the cologne! PLEASE!

We went out for our anniversary dinner last week. I'm glad it was at the end of the meal when that table behind us came in. Somebody there was wearing such strong cologne and in such a large amount. I could barely breathe. I had to go outside for a bit.

In my old age, I guess I'm getting more and more hypersensitive to cologne, perfume, scented candles, detergent, etc. I avoid the detergent aisle if at all possible. There are so many smells in that aisle. Of course, this time of year, there are a gazillion scented candles on display.

It is just so annoying to go to a nice restaurant and have to keep going outside to breathe. Some other people asked to be moved because of the smell. We were just about to pay our bill, so we didn't ask to move.

---->>>>the old gray mare......
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #2  
No description available.

Happy anniversary, Miss Mare!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Oh good greif, that is so nasty. I cant stand the perfume and cologne smell though. I am so allergic. I start sneezing nonstop. Wonder if they got the hint when other patrans moved...geeze. My grandmother used to be the worst. She had no sense of smell and because of that, she would PILE on the perfume. I would choke and have to roll down the windows when i would drive her somewhere.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks, midwife!

Stacy, I know how horrible being couped up in a car can be. I used to wear cologne all the time. I never put it on that heavily. It's supposed to be a nuance not a bull dozer.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
In my old age, I guess I'm getting more and more hypersensitive to cologne, perfume, scented candles, detergent, etc. I avoid the detergent aisle if at all possible. There are so many smells in that aisle. Of course, this time of year, there are a gazillion scented candles on display.
I don't think it's an age thing, I personally have been this way for years. I don't like and don't use products with synthetic fragrances, be it shampoos, detergents, etc, because they bother me. Especially here in the US, the scent is so strong! I think that's the problem - then people, after using those products for years and also using cologne or similar, no longer have a sensitive sense of smell and can't tell when it's really too much!
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #6  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Happy Anniversary!!

I run a testing centre at a local college. And I sit right by the computer area. I remember the time this woman comes in to write a test. and MY GOD her perfume was SOOO strong I ended up with watery eyes and a headache that lasted me the whole day (even after she left).

That christmas, I asked hubby to buy me Chanel No.5 (never smelled it... or so I thought). But it's considered "the" feminine scent.

So I was looking around during my christmas shopping and found a sampler bottle. I spritzed myself and I ended up REMEMBERING that smell... same thing, red teary eyes, nasty headache and I was itchy where it spritzed my skin. Apparently I'M allergic to it lol. When hubby picked me up he asked me what was wrong... I told him I found my first nasty allergy... Chanel No.5... he swore LMAO (I guess he had bought it for me, luckily he saved the receipt).

Last edited by tamaralynn; 12-04-2007 at 09:02 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:40 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Happy Anniversary MARE...if it wan't OLD SPICE..it wasn't me...ha...if it was A WHOLE TON OF AXE...and I mean a TON! then it was my nephew!!!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #8  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I agree and it's everywhere and different people, young and old. It's like their sense of smell isn't working or they are just so used to their smell they can't smell that they put a whole bottle of perfume on, yikes! I can totally understand why some jobs don't allow their employees to wear perfume. I like to smell good but I don't put on a lot...I use the lotion and layer with the perfume so it will last longer but it's not a strong perfume and I don't put a lot on. But I know what ya mean.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #9  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Well, my mother is allergic to a lot of smells, so I grew up not wearing perfume, or any of that stuff. If you think about it, everything has a smell to it...from our shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, deodrant, detergent, and on and on....I think our society has become so overwhelmed with varying smells that we truly don't have a sensitive nose these days....

I personally buy things that don't have a smell to them.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

I hate when people wear scents like that, and will ask to be moved in a restaurant when it happens. Simply ruins my dinner! I was at a restaurant in Florida, where they had such a strong deodorizer in their bathroom (smelled like that gas station bathroom stuff!) that I couldn't stand to sit at a table anywhere near the bathroom.
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #11  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I can't stand when people wear perfume or cologne when they are traveling on an air plane. Um... confined space?! Apparently these people don't think that it would possibly bother anyone else! Its like being stuck in the middle of Macy's with no way out.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8

I commute to work via bus. Nothing like getting stuck in traffic in a small, enclosed space with someone who's decided to bathe in a fragrance. Yuck! And one of the guys at work is a perfectly nice person, but sometimes he uses so much, the scent lingers when he merely walks by the hallway near my office (not even being in the office). I used to use cologne, but a friend pointed out that might be aggravating my sinus problems, so I stopped. Sure enough, sinus problems improved a lot. I sometimes use a lightly scented shampoo, soap, etc. But the obvious cologne is just too much. A lot of it doesn't even smell that great.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thank you for all the anniversary wishes.

While we're at it, let's add restaurant bathrooms. Ever been in one where a candle is burning? Or they have some sort of automatic scenter? We were in a very nice one and I had to be moved. Everytime someone went to the bathroom, the smell of that awful rosemary scented soap would waft its way to our table. The people there thought we were having an argument and that I was crying. When we were moved, it cleared up within 10 minutes.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #14  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I actually don't mind the candles buring or the air freshner...considering the altenative...it is much better.

Guess, I am not so senstive to smells...with the exception of someone pouring half a bottle of perfume on them.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
I actually don't mind the candles buring or the air freshner...considering the altenative...it is much better.
I actually find the 'natural' odor much more acceptable than the cover up perfumes. I too am allergic to all scents. I bark lik a seal if I'm near it. Even some peoples deoderant sets me off.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote