Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach

Welcome to The Beck DIET solution discussion group, support group, diet coach group concerning the book by Dr. Judith S. Beck:
The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).

There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if we learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach.

This is a place to discuss our daily efforts and, for some of us, serves as an on-line diet coach.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post is at http://www.3fatchicks.com.

The book, The Beck Diet Solution, is available on Amazon through the 3FC store:http://astore.amazon.com/3fatchionad...216363-1799918

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

November 2007 The Beck Diet Solution http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126374
October 2007 The Beck Diet Solution http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124433
September 2007 The Beck Diet Solution http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121790
The Beck Diet Solution August 2007 http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119430
The Beck Diet Solution July 2007 http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116556
The Beck Diet Solution - support group? [ May 2007] http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112274
Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up On the Road – Day Two

Well, it’s the start of day two of my weekend trip.

Eating on plan in the minivan was easy: lunch was my favorite peanut butter and banana sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread ends. Snacks were soy nuts, Gala Apple, Clementine, and baby carrots. Took three rest breaks where I got quick 5 minute walks to get feelings back into the legs – a good drive.

Dinner for the big family gathering was take home from a remarkable store named Wegmans, chosen by six adults in familiarial anarchy. There were more attractive, healthy, whole foods available than I’ve ever seen in my life. And the prices were better than at Whole Foods. Wish we had one near Boston, but their stores are only in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland. Does anybody have access to one of these regularly?

We had rotisserie chicken (garlic and lemon) plus veggies, veggies, veggies: roasted autumn vegetables (that included Delicata squash), cold butternut squash with spinach and craisins, spicy green beans, BIG mixed green salad with craisins and mushrooms, an Asian stir fry broccoli mushroom combo, cold buckwheat salad, mixed fruit with very fresh pineapple, watermelon, and strawberries. Eating on plan was easy.

My big challenge comes in an hour when the hotel hot breakfast bar opens. Please point some diet coach glares in my direction. Just because it’s FREE, doesn’t mean I have to eat it. Beck would have me pull out my personal Response Card:
Eating FREE food gave me beat-the-system joy as a child. My adult joy is making the system work. I’m a doofus when I forget the difference.

Sue (CoastalSue) – Sending healing vibes to your back and your cold. I like your idea of sending your DH to the hotel buffet to bring back only acceptable food. When we’re all super rich from the CoastalSue Diet Spray, we can have our butlers do that.

Readers - May your day include a vegetable that you’ve never had before.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #3  

Hi guys,

A wave to everyone-hope all is going well.

billblueEyes-thanks for starting the new thread. You always do great job explaining the site and making easy for others to join.

Well the natural nose spray is working well for appetite supression-plus being rather nauseated with the pain killers. so now am down 7 lb for this week. I know that some may return but still it is a positive side to feeling so punk.

I am aware how important the senses play for me in overeating. I have such a sensory approach to eating-I am pondering how to best cope with this response when feeling better. Right now it is great that food has almost no pull for me-Low fat soups have been the best. I need more answers and more approaches once I am better.

Still really pondering emotional eating. Emotionally maybe I made the connection if it taste soo good, then I will be in a good mood coupled with some food i.e. chocolate-biological release some feel good hormones in the brain. I think it is great that the Oh Well works so well for you. For me Oh well is a type of repression and like Freud said "the return of the repression" At home the dieting feel natural and easy- but in group or about in the community-I get an Oh'boy it is time to have fun. But why why does food mean having fun?? Somehow I need more tools than Beck's checklist to fight the mindlessness when out and about. Or maybe just a better handle in catcing and fight the sabotaging thoughts that lead to mindlessness eating.

Your family gathering sounds like it's working well. How great to do tasty healthy food to go. My Dh just helped me make a simple low fat soup today and together it took over an hours of prep-would love some take out like your meal. all sounded yummy-plus great you all shared the same interest in a meal. My family goes for the chain store premade very caloric dishes and desserts. -Likely much cheaper just not the same nutritional value.

sue
Old 12-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up On the Road - Sunday, Day 3

Start of the last day. Family visiting has been great. The common disasters of family gatherings have been avoided, the special moments have been many. The toddlers adorable beyond belief.

Great news for me. Eating at the FREE hot breakfast buffer was better than my adjusted plan. It was about my normal breakfast plus one (as in ONLY one) sausage patty. The industrial scrambled eggs were OK with some yummy salsa. The big deal for me was what I turned down. I took NO: cooked on the spot waffles, stack of sugary pastries, bagels, English muffins, blue berry muffins, extra sausages, hash brown potatoes, French toast, granola, etc.

The family event eating has been more on plan than I expected, although I feel silly because of the amount of time and energy I put into it in advance, and even in writing about it here. My behavior was what I wanted, but I want it to be easier. In Beck terms:

Sabotaging Thought: Mindful eating should be easy and intuitive; I look foolish making such a big deal of this

Helpful Response: Someday it may be, but you're in transition to there. You wouldn't judge others as foolish as they made this transition; you can cut yourself some slack also.

To complete the TMI bitter detail: At lunch yesterday, a plate of home made Christmas cookies was passed, all looking and smelling yummy, but the stand out were the oatmeal raisin cookies, my favorite. I said no the first round, not on my plan, easy to turn down since I don't eat dessert with lunch. I said no the second round, even though home made, I'm satisfied full. Beginning to falter on the third round, until I finally recognized that I was in a moment that I would do well to pull out some Beck strategies, even as I acknowledged that one d*mn cookie wouldn't break my calorie load for the day. But, I didn't want to eat it just because it appeared as a surprise. So, I pulled out my mental NO CHOICE card and killed the idea. Also pulled out my "you'll have to report this to your on-line diet coach since you've turned it into a crisis." I've converted one home made oatmeal raisin cookie into the Cuban Missile Crisis. Anyway, thanks for listening.

I used the full gym across the street from the motel; got in a regular weight session. CREDIT moi. Walking was light, Oh Well.

Sue (CoastalSue) – WOW to 7 pounds lost. Even if some is temporary water loss, it's a great inspiration.

Gotta figure this one out for me also:
Quote:
...but in group or about in the community-I get an Oh'boy it is time to have fun. But why why does food mean having fun??
As you can read above, I need your help here.

Readers - May you have the opportunity today to turn down one item that's off your plan, and then turn it down.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #5  

Congratulations BillBlueEyes

What a successful trip. It worked in all the areas-Fun, Family and Food. You were amazing in dealing with old food traps!! All that free food-you made healthy planned choices-You won over years of habits of which encouraged to eat this "free" but rather crummy foods at the hotel. We have had years of ads telling us how wonderful these sugarly white flour food can make us feel-Now they are finded some folks actually are more addicted to sugar than others, then add years of emotional reasons for eat these "feel Good"treats + the food was free-You kept to your Plan HURRAH That is Powerful Stuff

and it even gets better-3X you were given and encourage to eat some cookies-Your favorite type plus these were tasty homemade ones and you kept your personal goal of not eating off plan. I am in awe of your approach and success.

This is hard work-Overeaters can not completely remove the substance of their addiction and/or "weakness" from their life. People can forgo tobacco and alcohol and still live yet overeaters can not stop eating food. Thus some feel this adds to the failure rate of people maintaining weight loss. I post to show respect for your choices and why this is not an easy change but such a powerful process you are being successful at.

One of the advertising myths is that dieting is so easy-just spend your money, buy this book, drug, exercise material, find your right blood type ect-then add the morality of just stop being a pig, have some will power ect. Plus then I add that I know I am a smart, educated, self desciplined woman who understand intellectually how bad some foods are and still eat them when present or when I feel bad. So now I can feel so stupid when I fall in to old food traps-I spend much more time beating myself up for mistakes than celebrating and giving myself credit for positive food change. I am so glad you posted your success and know you should be giving yourself a HUGH amount of credit.

Your successes are making me ponder on why I could not have passed up on one cookie-I would have done the mind game of reducing the cals off the evening meal so my total would have been ok. Ah the draw of the sugar for me.

Finally feeling better and able to do some chores about the place. I am forcing myself to underwork because last Thursday i did too much and really re-injuried the sore muscles. I still have this annoying cold which effects my taste and smell. I am down 6lbs from my last posting of weight loss, but will hold off for a week or so in case I regain when eating normal again. I am really noticing the taste of chemicals in food. We got some processed meats as I wasn't up to cooking and hated them, in the past I would eat sugarfree puddings-hated those now, A BBQ grocerystore chicken seems salted loaded.

Thanks for sharing your thought

To everyone else-keep posting-changing our core food habits takes alot of alertness which our sabotaging thoughts keeps us dull to.

sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 12-02-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default You're both AWESOME, and it's gonna be a long winter!

YOu are both awesome! BillBlue, good for you. I would have succumbed to the cookie; I know it. There is nothing in me yet that could resist it.

Sue, great on the pounds gone, and I think, even bigger, is the new awareness about the junk/chemicals in food. I know you will like the Omnivore's Dilemma when you get it. The other book that can really fire you up about the food industry is Fast Food Nation.

I have been on plan for two days both eating and exercising. Nothing like trying to walk in 10 inches of snow and shoveling said same. We are still snowed in......as I said, it's gonna be a lonnngggg winter!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up First Monday in December

Light snow on the ground this morning.

Survived my second FREE breakfast as I did the first. I'm really pleased. There were small pancakes instead of French toast strips. I had one with yogurt instead of syrup - that worked, so I was able to avoid the sugar hit of syrup. Again ONE sausage patty. CREDIT moi.

For dinner at home last night DW prepared Spaghetti Squash with meatless Mariano sauce, and her Kale, Swiss chard combo with feta cheese. It's so easy to eat right at home with familiar food. And I have leftovers for lunches this week.

Ann (Newlifestyle) - I like to be reminded of your quote:
Quote:
I have to remember that I can modify my diet in advance to have small portions of whatever I want from time to time.so I don't have to overdo it today.
because it reminds me that it isn't WHAT I plan to mindfully eat that's so important but that I plan to MINDFULLY eat.

Most recent thought is you getting ready to start your diet tomorrow. Are you immersed in your diet by now? Hope all is well.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Glad to hear that your back is enough available that you're getting about. Be kind to it.

Thanks for your good thoughts about my Cuban Missile Crisis Cookie (CMCC). I, too, am like this: I spend much more time beating myself up for mistakes than celebrating and giving myself credit for positive food change. In many places in my life I don't allow an arbitrary intrusion to change my plans - e.g. a vacuum cleaner salesman at the door doesn't replace the time I was spending with my kids. But with food, I act like a cookie showing up at my door in a mandate; all previous plans are canceled; the cookie is here.

MaryBlu - Congrats for two days on plan. Walking in 10 inches of snow sounds like a challenge. Do you have access to an indoor walking place like a mall or a gym nearby? Are Minnesota winters really harsh, or is that just east coast propaganda?

Readers - Winter offers the opportunity to try new recipes using winter squash and sweet potatoes.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #8  
SuchAtwin

Hello to all. I am totally new here and to 3FatChicks. Of all the forums I have previewed this one looks like a good fit as I know weight control starts with engaging the brain. I really enjoyed and identified with the oatmeal raisin cookie struggle--and I say "enjoyed" because I've been there and thought that. Just in case anyone wonders why I call myself SuchAtwin: I am a twin, girl with a brother, who wonders if my attraction to comfort comes from an empty place inside myself (never a whole but always a part) that I try to complete with sugary doughnuts, margaritas and chips, cherry pie and a cup of coffee. Anyway, I am looking for a place to be made whole--a whole lot smaller body and a complete person.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #9  

Hello

MaryBlu-brrr10 inches-that alot of shoveling. been hearing about the snows across the Midwest and now in New England. I remember snow still on the ground on my June birthday when growing up in Northern Mn. Ca. has turned me into a weather weakling. People really whine here when it gets down to the 40's and if rains too many day in a row.

BillBlueEyes-still thinking about being offered unexpected free delicious caloric food-i.e. cookies. I was checking my response and I get the same sense of delight as when I find an easy nearby parking space opens up in San Francisco( We can spend 20 minutes looking and be over an mile away)-What a Treat., Am I lucky today!!, OH Boy, Oh Boy-The gods are looking out for me, Sort of a magical reward from the heavens. This sort of luck can really lighten my mood. -Now how can I turn that gift down? That is a serious question for me. This attitude that a unplanned cookie can be unexpected simple joyful reward is very ingrained and sabotages my food plan in a nono second.

The positive steps that I have taken: 1. Be more evaluating of the quality(not the calories-thus home baked harder to turn down 2. Stop at one. 3. Deduct the cals from the days total.
My next step is feel all those times which unexpected food is offered and the sense of treat I get and how"luckly" I am to be offered. Right now it feels like I am driving away from the easy parking space-whats wrong are you nuts? Look forward when I can look at food and not also deal with so many other emotions pulled in on the situation. The thought that a thin person could turn down something just because they were full seems almost magical to me.-trying to get there.

Anyway maybe this is all just mindless wandering-but am trying to get a handle on social overeating. Like you, home is where it is easy to stay on the food plan. Even have the plan for resturants -posted here- is to ask for a take home container and put half of the meal in at first. But gatherings are still the hardest for me.( I suppose bring my own take home cartons were be tacky) -tis the season coming up.

thanks
sue
ps still down 6 lbs. yes
Old 12-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #10  
Super Moderator

Smile Welcome SuchAtwin

to 3FC and to the Beck thread.

< and welcome to the oatmeal raisin cookie struggle discussion, LOL >

You're right in sync with Beck in believing the weight loss begins with the brain. Interesting thoughts about feeling for "completing" that lend themselves to over eating - you're way ahead in already working out some of the thinking that, in one of Beck's exercises, you ask yourself if it is completely correct and further what other interpretations might be possible.

So, you're on your way.

Where are you in your journey? Have you started reading the Beck Diet Solution yet?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:31 PM   #11  
SuchAtwin

Thanks for the welcome Bill. I am currently just chasing my tail in that I have not found the will to choose to commit to any weight loss program just yet. I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers which I achieved 28 years ago. Over a lifetime of hurtles and excuses I now stand at 5'3" and 252lbs. My health is becoming enough of a concern that I have decided to start somewhere and that is here. I saw the Beck Diet Solution discussed on Oprah, I think, and I looked at the book in the book store once but having purchased other motivational tools which I did not utilize I passed on the purchase. Now that I see what you all are up to I will re-evalute and look into buying it.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:34 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday with Ice and Cold

Managed to squeeze in a walk at lunch yesterday, otherwise little exercise other than the minor shoveling of both cars and sidewalks. Pavement was icy by evening, giving the thin layer of snow the appearance of being here for the duration. We were caught with some leaves still on the ground needing the last raking. Oh Well.

Ate on plan including my regular monthly potluck dinner evening meeting, where I turned down purchased cookies with no difficulty. The thought of the Cuban Missile Crisis Cookie is still fresh in my brain and will serve to ward off the easy choices, like packaged cookies, even if Danish tea cookies and sugar cookies. I actually wrote NO CHOICE in my notes just to be sure. It was particularly useful (i.e "strengthened my resistance muscle") to turn them down since I could see and smell them as they sat on the small working table all evening and were periodically passed around. I couldn't help but noticing that three people at the meeting, who had privately told me that they were trying to lose weight, had a cookie each time the tin passed. Good reminder that sugar is powerful.

Sue (CoastalSue) - Thank you for so creatively capturing the power of an unplanned cookie:
Quote:
... an unplanned cookie can be an unexpected simple joyful reward, is very ingrained, and sabotages my food plan in a nano second.
Yep, I recognize that cookie. And I really like the pain of rejecting such a gift from the gods:
Quote:
It feels like I am driving away from the easy parking space-whats wrong are you nuts?
You capture the magnitude of the unplanned cookie. If Beck had a program-day where, instead of skipping lunch one day to work our hunger issue, we were to pass up a San Francisco parking space, I wouldn't be able to do it. I hope you keep pounding on this topic until some of it's magic is broken.

SuchAtwin - Congratulations for achieving lifetime weight watchers status. Don't you have to reach WW Goal weight or something to get that? Do you get to attend WW for free for life after that?

The discussion of buying the book vs. the workbook vs. both occurred earlier in the November thread. I'm happy with the book because I do my Beck lists, exercise journaling and food journaling in an Excel spreadsheet. Others were happy with the workbook, presumably because it's easier to write in than the hardback book. I do recommend reading the book, even if from the library. The synopses in these threads necessarily leave out much discussion and motivational material.

Readers - Cold weather invites hot soup. Hot soup satisfies the stomach and the soul.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #13  

Hi to all

Big Welcome to SuchATwin-this forum along with the book has been so helpful for me to change my eating habit. The book has a short series of lessons which is programed to run 6 weeks-I end up with both the book and the workbook. The book alone is fine, but I like the pre-done worksheets-yep I am a bit lazy. I really understand that sense of chasing your tail looking for your will to lose. Beck's exercises build are a good foundation for a couple of weeks before you even start dieting. For example one of the first exercises is to write down all the reasons why you want to lose weight and read this card often each day. Maybe I wasn't ready to diet but at least I could write the list out. It was the first step. I still read that the card-It continues to be a gently reminder to eat heathly. Hope you hang out with us and post your thoughts even if you don't have the book yet. The core idea is to eat what you have planned for the day and to learn to minimize all of the other emotional, social and sensory factors which may cause one to overeat. I am on my 6th month of this 6 week program. I have lost very slowly but continuously- no yoyo dieting. I am gaining a sense of success and I will lose the remaining 150 lbs or so.

BillBlueEyes-the cold and exercising is a tough one. Love the look of a gentle white snow, hate the icy walking!!. I have order a extra large "wet suit" type of top so I can continue water aerobic during the foggy low 50's in an out door pool. The water is about 82 but I do get so chilled about my shoulders. I don't think my back is ready for me swimming strokes for 45 minutes quite yet.

I actually remember watching tv alone-my folks were out of town for a couple of days-feeling absolute terror about the Cuban Missile Crisis-the show down as our ship neared Cuba and what was Russia going to do. Apart from that terrifying time and the sadness of his death, I do remember the much of the Kenndy era foundly.

Thanks for reading my cookie thesis-your cookie posting really got me going about my whys I couldn't turn down the homemade cookies if I liked them- Just looking at how powerful the draw is a help to break the cookie "magic" , I am hopeful and am working on just getting an image of a free parking spot and asking my self is this really where I want to park my body right now when offered unexpected food. It is parking place but I'll end up with sugar in the gas tank. Any thing to stop the mindlessness.

Also aware of the increditable role of food as a reward and the need to increase my own ability to give my self postive nonfood rewards-particuliar internal acknowledge of my own successes.

MaryBlu-still snow bound?

sue

Last edited by coastalsue; 12-04-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default You guys are great!

Hi, all, welcome, welcome, SAT.......may I call you that?? lol.

I SOOO appreciate a forum where people actually remember the Cuban Missile Crisis...I really do.........this is such an aside.........but when I was searching for my SO online, I was looking for someone younger than I, because I am not my age in any sense........especially not in attitude....but my criteria, after being open-minded and well-informed, was someone who remembered where he was when Pres. Kennedy was killed. I was in the 4th grade, and I remember it still. So, I figure anyone more than about 4 yrs. younger than I would not remember......and it was a very real consideration. The man who found me...lol......is way smart, and remembers everything! Not to worry.

BillBlue, say more about the kale/swiss chard dish.....how does DW do that? Let us know, please, and you do know how lucky you are to have a healthy cook in the house, I know!

I appreciate you all!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #15  
SuchAtwin

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Such a day I had today. I met with an old friend for lunch and shopping. It was a cool beautiful day here in Houston and we enjoyed our companionship, exercise, and I must say the wonderful Italian Cream cake and coffee for dessert. Ah, I need the book as I know my reason for giving myself permission to eat that must be in there. And then, my husband came home from the doctor to say he needs more tests as he may have a blood clot in his leg. Oh the stress. This is on top of my Autistic son calling to tell me his latest angst and the 8 month looking no buying real estate customer saying she wants to look at more foreclosures tomorrow. I want beer and more cake yet I resist. I am ready to push myself past the "it could have been worse" mentality (as in I was bad but I could have been badder) to a "I would not even think of eating that" one. Whew, I guess I needed to spew. Bill,to answer the WW question, yes I had to reach a goal and maintain it and now only must pay for meetings I choose to attend if I am more than 2lbs over goal. I would be paying a long time. I will get myself the materials to begin my self-shrink session ASAP. I congradulate you all for the strength to examine and heal thyselves. Oh, Maryblu, SAT is a bad handle for me as in someone might put "She SAT and got FAT" on my gravestone someday if I don't change my habits. My real estate moniker is Kitt. You may call me that if you like. The reason I chose SuchAtwin is strickly as a reminder to myself of my need to let go...of so many things.
Closed Thread