Thread: Sumptous soups
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
tamaralynn
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

I love making up my own recipes!! Especially Chicken noodle soup on cold winter days. You can use either a whole chicken OR just whole chicken breasts (with bone in...very important!). I like to allow the chicken to cook then cool the broth so you can easily remove the fat from the broth. You get all the flavor, and very little of the fat!. This is a time consuming recipe... but VERY worth it. If using fresh chickens (not frozen) you can freeze leftovers for luches or another dinner (lasts about 3 months in a deep freezer or 1 month in your icebox).

1 whole small (3lbs) chicken cut up (uncooked).
Enough water to cover the chicken (6 - 8 cups)
1/2 - 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
1 onion, quartered
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of parsley (chopped)
1 tbsp sea salt
2 - 3 carrots sliced or diced
2 - 3 ribs of celery sliced (1/4 - 1/2 inch thick)
1/2 small box of whole wheat or spinach pasta (linguini or rotini is good) broken into pieces (optional... if you don't use noodles, add more vegetables).

In a large stock pan add water, chicken, peppercorns, onion, garlic, bay leaf and parsley. Bring to a boil, cover then simmer (lower heat) for about 2 hours.

Remove cooked chicken and set aside.

Using a mesh wire strainer (or regular strainer covered with cheesecloth), strain the broth to remove the "floaties" (cooked marrow bits, fatty pieces and peppercorns - you may want to do this twice to assure there are no leftovers). This can be time consuming... but well worth the work.

Allow the broth to cool cool then skim the fat from the top.

Take cooked chicken and seperate meat from bone.

Break chicken into bitesized pieces and return to stock.Return to stove and bring back to a medium heat and add carrots, celery and pasta. Cook until pasta swells and veggies cooked through.

Add more salt to taste (I hate adding too much salt as it cooks as everyone has different tastes).

Yields 10 servings.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 199 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 251 Calories from Fat 41
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4.6g7%
Saturated Fat 1.2g6%
Cholesterol 112mg37%
Sodium 820mg34%
Total Carbohydrates 9.3g3%
Dietary Fiber 1.5g6%
Sugars 1.8g
Protein 41.0g

Vitamin A 56% • Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 4% • Iron 9%

Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

(I LOVE Calorie-Count.com)

Last edited by tamaralynn : 12-02-2007 at 03:53 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote