Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 6

Default Garlic and Asparagus

Hey all, I need some advice on how to cook garlic and asparagus.
How do you cook/peel/roast your garlic?
How do you trim/ cook asparagus?
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #2  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

For my garlic.... I use a 9 x 9 inch square of heavy duty tin foil. Make a "bowl" shape out of it and place in my garlic cloves (seperated). I will drizzle some olive oil over it and some freshly cracked pepper and sea salt.

I twist the top of the tinfoil "bowl" closed and will bake it in the oven at 250 F for about 1 hour.

The garlic is so soft and sweet. I usually use the leftover oil to rub onto chicken or pork chops before I cook them on a grill. (think smokey garlic chops/chicken).

For Asparagus, I will usually snap off the woody ends of the stem, then steam them until they're tender crisp. Then sautee them with garlic salt and pepper in a small amount of butter or olive oil margarine. (Serve with lemon wedges)

I'm thinking. If you want to make them together...

Use the tinfoil (enough to cover a lb of asparagus and garlic).
Wash the asparagus and snap off woody ends.
Place clean asaparagus on tinfoil.
Place garlic cloves on top of asparagus.
Drizzle with olive oil
Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper
Wrap foil around asparagus and cook for 1 - 1.5 hours at 250F

Last edited by tamaralynn; 12-02-2007 at 01:47 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

For the garlic I usually slice off the botton of the clove and then peel the skin off. I love roasted garlic so I use almost the entire bulb when I'm roasting garlic and asparagus together. For the asparagus, I break off the bottom woody bit. If you bend it, it will naturally break where the woody part meets the tender part. I find that much easier than trying to decide where to trim it. Occasionally I save the woody bit for soup broth but not always. Usually, I take time to remove the scales, but if I'm really rushed for time, I may not. Wash them good and then I spread them on a cookie sheet lined with foil and spritz them with olive oil, flip them and spritz them again on the other side, then salt and cook. I love roasted asparagus and garlic! YUM!!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote