Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 03:16 PM   #1  

Default Pregnant and Staying Fit - April/May

OK - I keep checking the thread and seems all the new pregnant people have ducked out... I thought if I started a new one people would be more apt to check in (the other was a little long). Anyway, I have been monitoring my weight at home - next appointment is 5/2 and I've gained 2.5 lbs! Gosh it hurts to gain, but I guess that's what being pregnant is all about. I know I have been eating more and have not been as diligent about getting to the gym. Its all that exhaustion and hunger that get in the way of keeping me on track!!

In any case, I have renewed my commitment to exercising throughout this pregnancy. I made it to the gym this morning and did 35 minutes of cardio on the Precor and some upper body weights. I think I did a little too much yard work on Sunday and my back has be killing me... mostly sciatic, I keep thinking its too early for this --- I am only 18 weeks. Anyone else with similar aches? Well, I plan to keep moving regardless. I know it will only get worse and sitting still does nothing for me.

Hope everyone is well and please post soon!!!

Absmom
2.5lbs gained at 18 weeks
Old 04-25-2002, 06:58 PM   #2  

Hi Absmom! I know what you mean about the sciatic pain. I'm only at 15 1/2 weeks and my sciatic has been acting up for about a week now! I have also been waking up with my hips aching pretty badly!
I managed 3 days of exercise last week, but I have not done anything so far this week. I know it is just stress. Tomorrow is my last day of work, I am getting laid off. I have known about it for a while, but now that it is here, it is very nerve wracking. I have a decent chance of getting another, lower paying job with the same company, just at a different location, but I won't know about that for another 2 weeks. It will be kinda nice to rest for a while, but I just wish I knew for sure that I would have a job.

I had my ultra sound at the hospital on Tuesday. We got a really neat picture of the baby's face, it looks like a little alien! They also found out that the reason I had been spotting was an abruption of the placenta. Thankfully it is only about 2 cm X 2 cm, so it is small, but it is scary to realize that it could have kept pulling away, possibly putting the baby's and my life in danger. Thankfully I haven't had any bleeding in almost 2 weeks. But it seems so much scarier now. The doctor thinks everything will be fine, but I have to take it easy, no running or anything, and if there is anymore bleeding I have to call the dr ASAP. But I think everything will be ok. The ultrasound tech also said that she thinks my due date needs to be moved up to Oct 12. But she said we needed to wait and see the results from the 20 week ultrasound before they officially change it.
I have my next appt on 5/7. I am certain I will have gained weight, hopefully just not to much.

I hope everyone else is doing well.
Nicole
Old 04-26-2002, 03:44 AM   #3  

Default Big gain.. moo moo :(

Hi ladies!

Absmom, 2.5 pounds isn't anything girl, I've gained 6 in a week and a half! I'm not even sure how that is possible. So from no gain at all I'm now up 6. Like last pgy, mostly my weight gain is in my legs and butt. Oh and that lovely extra shelf you get on your hips. I'm so angry at myself about this, why do I eat so much? Urgh. I've walked everyday this last week too, so I really need to get my eating on track.

Anyway, baby seems fine, been having a fair few kicks - though none today so far. Ultrasound next Thurs, hopefully baby will let us see what type we've got!!

Nicole- That is very scary about the placenta tearing away! Thank gosh it has stopped and the baby and you are fine. I was made redundant in February and am now at home with a one day a week casual job. We lost 60% of our income and I went from being so someone on her way up and earning great money to this. Big change! They shut my office to save money.

Well I'd best be off. DD is driving me crazy - do you girls have shorter fuses lately? I get so annoyed with her so quick and I am always SO tired. Just exhausted. Where is all this 2nd trimester energy? lol

Sam
Old 04-26-2002, 08:10 AM   #4  

Talking

Hi Nic and Dreamer!

I too am tired. My DD gets me up every day at 5:30 - regardless of when I put her to bed. And yes, I have - at times - felt like a raving lunatic and rotten mother. We've watched more TV and made more trips to McDonalds than at any period in her life. I too am waiting for the 2nd trimester energy burst.... My only motivation is that I promised myself and another pregnant lady at the gym that I would make it there to exercise at least 2 x week. Today is a gym day and I am dreading the event at this moment.

Nic - Sorry to hear about your health situation, although you must at least be relieved to at least know now what was causing the bleeding. Trust your dr. and don't worry - its no good for either you or the baby. You can't run, but did the dr. say no exercise at all? The job situation will work out one way or another. You will find a new one. My husband was laid off (surprise) last year. It was a rough period for both of us - him with the stress of finding a new job, me with the guilt of not working and both of us wondering about how to pay the bills. Things worked out (obviously I'm still here) and we laugh about how we wasted our impromtu vacation time by stressing. Keep positive and treat yourself well --- and enjoy your extra time at home.

And now the struggle begins to try and get my dd ready to go. It was so much easier when she couldn't walk or talk... Anyway - my next appointment is 5/3. I don't plan to diet, but I do plan to watch what I eat and get my gym time in. I really can't bear the thought of that dr's scale being 'off' in the wrong direction!! Am I being obsessive????????

Happy Friday!!
Absmom
207/199/201.5 (+2.5)
Old 05-05-2002, 08:05 AM   #5  

Where is everyone??????? Well, I'll keep updating you... it's a kind of therapy for me - to keep me on track and focus on my goals.

I had my dr's appointment on Friday. I braced for a gain and was happy that the total was just 5 lbs. Over the last week or so, I have felt so bloated and tired. I got my tests back and found out that my iron is really low - even taking the prenatal vitamins, so the dr. added another supplement (ferrus sepal???) He said that should take care of the tiredness I've been feeling and I hope he's right. We've got vacation in a few weeks and I really want to enjoy it.

The last of my non-maturnity clothes have been retired and people I don't know have asked me when I'm due (They're no longer on the fence about whether or not I am just fat -lol).

I signed up to be a babysitter at the gym. In addition to the free membership, I am hoping that I will be more motivated to work out if I have to be there anyway. The sessions are just two hours so even on a bad day, I should at least be able to do a 20 minute walk on the treadmill.

Well, I've got to officially start the day and get ready for church. Nic - I hope that you and the baby are doing OK. Dreamer - catch up when you can..... My sonogram was pushed back to May 17 so my DH could come so I'll be sure and update then with the baby's sex!! I can't wait to find out!!

Cheers!!
Absmom (+5lbs at 20 weeks)

Old 05-14-2002, 09:38 AM   #6  

Hi Nic and Dreamer whereever you are!! Hope you are doing well and that I'll hear from you again soon.

I have my ultrasound this Friday and we'll find out the sex of the baby - provided that he/she isn't trying to hide...

It's going to be a busy week for us - My husband comes home Thursday night - he's been away for the last two weeks. My niece turns one on Friday so we have a party to go to that night; I have a wedding shower on Saturday and we leave for Disney on Sunday! My DD is a little out of her mind, so I've been trying to keep her busy, which is a bit challenging since its been raining for three days straight!

After kind of a blue week last week, I am feeling a lot better. I've been exercising and keeping track of my food. I've also been able to better tolerate my prenatal vitamins so I am taking them pretty much regularly now -- including my iron supplement... Maybe that's why I have so much more energy..... I haven't stepped on the scale since the dr's 2 weeks ago, but I'd be very surprised if I've gained anything... I'm not going to risk any disappointments so I am not getting on it before vacation.

Well, I am off to start my day... Pregnant lurkers feel free to pop in!
Cheers
Absmom
Old 05-15-2002, 12:14 AM   #7  

Hi, Absmom and Dreamer,
Sorry I haven't been around in so long! Everything is going good. I had some trouble with depression after I lost my job, and between that and a headache that lasted 4 days, and my DH's diabetes acting up all of a sudden, I haven't had time to be on the computer much. I haven't had anymore bleeding and at my last appt, the dr said that if this kept up they would go back to calling my pregnancy "normal"! So that was a relief. But, they had just had their scales adjusted and recalibrated, so the scale showed that I had a 20 lb gain!!!! The dr said I shouldn't worry about it and said that my weight had probably never been right! So I am not sure what to think. I can still wear some of my old clothes, and I definitely don't feel like I've gained 20 lbs! But, I am trying not to dwell on it, and since DH is having trouble with his blood suger, we have been walking 20-30 minutes almost every morning. It is helping him, and it is definitely making me feel better. I want to keep up the walking, and add my arm weights and leg toning, as well as stretching, and I think I will feel pretty good about how I'm doing. I think I have been feeling the baby move. I didn't know what it was at first, it felt like a shifting or something deep inside. It is pretty weird, but it has kept up for over a week and a half, so I am pretty sure that's what it is. I'm at 18 weeks, and this is my first, so from what I've read, that could be what it is. I have also been having some trouble with hip pain and sciatic pain! When I asked the dr about it he tried to nicely tell me to deal with it, it would only get worse!

Well, I will try to start checking in more regularly. I'm sorry it has been so long. I hope everyone else is doing great!

Absmom- I am sooooo jealous of your vacation! Are you going to CA or FL? I love love love both! I can't wait to take my little one for the first time! I want to go back so bad! We had a trip planned for late September, but now that won't be happening! I'm glad your not feeling blue anymore! And don't worry about your weight, just do the best you can and stay healthy! Enjoy your vacation and say hi to Mickey for me!

Nicole
Old 05-16-2002, 01:25 PM   #8  

Hi Nic (Dreamer and lurkers too!)

I am glad to know that you and the baby are well, even if your life situation has been less than ideal. Sorry about the job. Of course you'll find another, but the whole event is really tramatizing... Your DH's health problems certainly didn't add to it all, but I am sure that he's feeling some stress with all this as well. Hang on, take care of yourself and know that you'll make it and be better off for your experiences. We went through it last year with my husband (which is why he has this crappy travel job now), but the end is in sight for us and things are good...

I don't know if I am more excited for the ultrasound tomorrow or the vacation starting Sunday. We're off to Florida for 7 days of Disney fun. I am still trying to figure out how to use my new camera (a b-day present from DH), but hopefully we'll end up with a few pix. My dd is out of her mind - and I can't wait to see her face when she FINALLY meets Tigger (forget Mickey).

Since my DH has had to travel so much over the last year we've racked up a lot of hotel points and air miles, as long as we can keep our food and souvenier spending to a minimum we could come out of this relatively unscathed... I am a worrier when it comes to money. We need to buy a second car in the next month and I already have severe sticker shock. We just don't have enough room in the station wagon for 2 kids so we're taking the plunge into minivan land. Why do they have to cost so much!?!

I'll try to check in tomorrow to quickly update on U/S. Hopefully we'll know which team we're on (pink?/blue? or ???)
I really want another girl so send good vibes my way.... Aside from that the pregnancy/life in general is going welll this week. I am exercising, have alot more energy --- actually did some spring cleaning! yikes!!

Ciao for now,
Absmom
Old 05-17-2002, 01:53 AM   #9  

Hi Absmom, (Dreamer to, if your out there!)
I am still very jealous of your trip! You'll have a blast!
I hope your U/S went well! Were they able to tell you which color to start decorating in?
My DH is feeling better, but his blood sugars are still way out of whack. They have him on 2 medications, and it is still staying the mid to high 200's. But his blood pressure is back to normal and his trigylcerides (sp?) are dropping. It is a fight to get him to take all his meds, he can be just like a kid! He hates taking stuff and right now they have him on 4. But if he can lose some weight, the doc thinks he can go off all of them in 20-25 lbs, and she wants him to lose 50. Maybe this will help me lose the baby weight plus the weight I needed to lose to begin with.
I am definitely feeling the baby move. It was moving alot this evening when I was laying down to take a nap. It is a pretty weird feeling, but very cool!

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well!

Nicole
Old 05-18-2002, 09:00 AM   #10  

Hi Nic, Dreamer, and all!!

Well, Its a girl!!! Thank goodness... The Ultrasound went fine and it looks like I am right on schedule. I'll keep this short -- DH is home and making my morning a little difficult... He needs to find a new job soon. We are so out of whack with our relationship--- I hope this vacation doesn't bring us to the brink of divorce.... It's almost like he's single again

Enough -- positive vibes please!!!!

Have wonderful weeks and I'll post when I get back!

Absmom
Old 05-20-2002, 01:58 AM   #11  

Default Hi Nic and absmom!

Sorry, slack poster here (good lurker though!)

Congrats on dd #2 absmom! You were hoping for another girl whereas I was hoping for a boy, but now a few weeks on I'm really excited that I'll have two girls. Df and I actually talk about 'the kids' now or 'our girls'. Kinda cool!

Sorry about dh being like a single bloke - my df goes through spells of that. Hope he finds a new job soon.

Nic - 20 pounds ia a bit scary isn't it? Mind you I'm up 11 or 12 in 4 weeks and am really finding it very hard to deal with. I mean I am just starting to show (those who know I'm pg they can see when I wear fitted clothes), but my butt and thighs are huge again, just like last time. Ah well, figure it is just the way I am! My df needs to lose about 40 pounds, so I too am hoping that we will do it together - he can start now and I'll join when baby comes!

So one friend of a friend had a baby girl on Sat after something like 2 days in labour. Yuck! And one of my dearest friends sister is in hospital with high blood pressure - 190/90! She is 36 1/2 weeks and I feel she may end up getting induced.

We just went out and bought a hall table and a chest for the lounge room. We have some doors downstairs to paint and then we will be working to convert our studio (room out the back) into a spare room so that our spare room can become the baby's room. Most of dd's furniture will just go into there and she will get new, 'little girl' furniture. Seeing she started walking last week (!) it seems appropriate that we start treating her like a little girl now not a baby

By the way, do either of you have Braxton Hicks? I have had them since about 15 weeks this time. I get them fairly often, they aren't at all painful, but they definitely have a sensation to them. Last time I didn't get them to about 7 months.

Sam 21.5weeks
Old 05-21-2002, 07:09 PM   #12  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Hello all!!!My name is Vicki and I would love to join the thread!!!I have been on the 30somethings for over 2 yrs now and on this thread until Jan when I lost my baby...I am now 10weeks and want to get started watching and chatting with others in this condition....I had been at goal weight for 1 yr and gained 10lbs with the first pg....I started this pg still with those 10 lbs and have gained 2 in 10 weeks....No energy to excercise after working a full time job on my feet but I am trying..This is my first child..
Looking forward to getting to know everyone....
Vicki
Old 05-25-2002, 12:48 AM   #13  

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry it has been so long since I last posted. DH has been playing with the computer again, and I have just been feeling really tired. I have been feeling the baby fluttering for a couple of weeks now, but the other day, I swear the baby was playing trampoline on my bladder! I had 2 really strong thumps, which I think DH would have felt if he had his hand on my belly. It was really cool. That is the first time I have felt anything more then flutters or shifting! LOL

Roadrunner- Welcome! It is nice to meet you. I am glad things are going better this time. When are you due?

Dreamer- The 20 lbs is scary, but I was remembering the other day that 4 days after my first appt, I weighed at my parents house and was up 8 lbs from the drs scale. At the time I didn't think anything of it, I was to sick to eat too much, and I never weighed on their scale again, but now I wonder if that wasn't my actual starting weight, which would give me a gain of 12 lbs. That seems much more reasonable! We have alot of stuff to get done around the house too! The room that will become the nursery is a disaster area. It has been our "junk" room for 3 years now, so we have lots of cleaning to do! I have been having what I think are the Braxton-Hicks. My tummy tightens up, and sometimes I get a light cramping sensation, similar to TOM. I am assuming that they are the B-H's, since I haven't had anymore bleeding and nothing else happens, it just stops.

Absmom- I hope you are having a wonderful vacation! Although since you are in the Happiest Place on Earth, I'm sure you are! Congrats on your little girl and I am sending lots of fun vacation and happy hubby vibes your way!

I hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you soon
Nicole
EDD 10/19/02
Old 05-26-2002, 08:30 AM   #14  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Good Morning!!!!I am due 12/19 I think...Going for a sonagram on friday to double check everything...The first sonagram said 12/23 soo I am curious to see if things change...Too scared to weigh and have not in 2 weeks...I did notice that my belly is really pooching out which is too weird and my butt has increased...This is a real "body changing" experience..I have decided I will worry about the changes after the baby is born and to enjoy things while it is happening!!!!!
Hello to everyone!!
Vicki
Old 05-28-2002, 08:32 AM   #15  

Hi Everyone - Welcome Roadrunner!
Back from vacation and after a few days of routine home life, i am feeling more myself - rested... Disney was fun - My DD was out of her mind-- almost too much to do. I know she'll never remember all the fun she had, but her reactions & general excitement will be with me and my DH for the rest of our lives.

We walked miles each day, so I am hoping that most of the crap I ate was burned off, but I am jumping right back into my eating/exercise so as not to lose focus. I have a drs apt this week and frankly I feel huge... Oh well, I guess that's part of being pregnant(!?) The baby is moving all the time and my DH finally was able to feel it for himself. We're starting to think about cleaning out our junk room to create a new nursery, but the task is just too much for me to bear right now so its all still in the "thinking stage"...

Dreamer - I have been having Braxton-Hicks since early on like you... I guess that means its normal --- maybe the first time around we just didn't recognize what they were????

Roadrunner --- I couldn't help but think that you sound like I did during my first pregnancy... Keep healthy, welcome the changes, but do your best to watch what you eat and exercise! My post partum was so horrible that I considered never having another child. The main reason was that I gained so much weight and stopped doing anything physical. Remember - labor is like running a marathon!! I hope that wasn't too preachy!!!

Nic251- You should be entering the second trimester energy boost soon. I am in it now and feel really great! Night and day...

Well, I am off to change my dd and get out in the yard. I was in the middle of mulching yesterday when the thunderstorms hit... so I have a lot of work ahead of me... Hope you all have wonderful days!!!

Ciao!
Absmom

Closed Thread