Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 258/258/160

Height: 5"9

Default motivation loss

i used to be really motivated(well, sort of). Now it's like I know I have to, but... I really need some motivation. Could you guys help me out?
jasmine620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:33 AM   #2  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

When I'm feeling unmotivated I love to go and check out all the before and afters. Not just the ones on 3FC either, I'll find random ones.

I also have many a weight loss blog that I read almost daily. this really helps keep me motivated.

Try picturing yourself at goal, how fantabulous it will be, how worth it is to put in the effort.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My motivation really ebbs and flows over time. From what I can tell, that's a common phenomenon. So, I find I can't rely on it. Instead, I have tried to make a commitment to a healthy lifestyle.

For instance, I don't really like exercising, but I do it, because that's what I have to do to keep the weight off. Over time, getting myself there has become a little easier, because I know it will make me feel better AFTERWARD, but if I relied on motivation alone, I would rarely exercise. So, every month I set an exercise goal, in terms of number of minutes of exercise, and commit to making that goal. And I just do it.

Good luck!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/189/156

Height: 5'10"

I suffer from lack of motivation occasionally, too. I think it's human and it's OK. I get out and get a fitness magazine or two. That usually jump starts me.

I'm also taking those mags I've kept and started keeping a library and making a new journal/workout/fav. recipe binder. I'm laminating workouts that appeal to me from the mags to take to the gym and organizing recipes as well. It's my Christmas gift to myself! I'm finishing off the year on a high note so when 2008 rolls around, I'm ready to keep tackling this healthy body/lifestyle I want.

My inner-athlete tells me so...

You can do this!!
aymster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:18 PM   #5  
No description available.

Discipline is more reliable than motivation. Do it anyway!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Yes, motivation... Well, it has to be a conscious decision. We all make lots of decisions every day, only mostly people think they're on automatic pilot or something. It kinda goes like this:

"Oh, I would rather eat those tortilla chips than have a half an apple."
(Well sure--but that doesn't make the chips a better choice! )

"I'm too tired to get a good dinner together. I think I'll order pizza delivery."
(Too tired? You're kidding! Oh, you must mean you didn't plan ahead... )

"Oh, I don't have time to exercise. It's already so late, and my favorite TV program is coming on in a hour anyway."
(If you are serious, you'll find that you do have the time! And it's easy to find activities that don't require leaving the house even!)

So those are some of the many decisions. It helps to make the good decisions become just as automatic as the bad ones, but it takes some practice. Plan ahead so you'll have good foods available. Get the junk foods out of the house. Figure out some exercise things that you can do at almost any time, and schedule exercise into your day planner.

Being prepared means that on those days when you don't feel motivated, you'll at least have a plan to fall back on.

Good luck! It is WORTH IT to do this!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Ahhh... motivation. Well, yes that DOES come and go, doesn't it? That's why COMMITMENT is essential. Without the commitment to a better and healthier life, this could not take place for me. Because no matter what or how I feel, having made the commitment, the motivation or lack there of doesn't really matter. I'm commited to a healthy lifestyle and that is that. Certainly it's more difficult at certain times to STICK with the healthy lifestyle, but again - difficult or not, that's not important. It's just "what I do".

And another factor. There were times when I WAS motivated, but STILL found that just wasn't enough for me, until I made the, uh-huh - commitment.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-25-2007 at 01:58 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats tongue View Post
When I'm feeling unmotivated I love to go and check out all the before and afters. Not just the ones on 3FC either, I'll find random ones.

I also have many a weight loss blog that I read almost daily. this really helps keep me motivated.

Try picturing yourself at goal, how fantabulous it will be, how worth it is to put in the effort.
this helps. really it does. I have my senor HS picture up in my bedroom. I was probably 170ish there, and looking at that picture, I think I look great there. Looking at that photo helps keep me motovaited bc I can't wait to get back there.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I"m getting new motivation with the Best Life Now book and journal. I got off track traveling too much, got sick, you name it... gained some weight back. I was too rigorous before though, obsessing too much I think. So I like this system, it starts out the first month just increasing activity one level, and eating regular means with common sense. The next month on you focus on loosing more, and increasing your actiivity level. I've always done best with a diet journal, a paper one, I like this one - although it's called Best Life Now journal it's really my rennovation journal too. On one side I write food/exercise and the other side there's a blank page for notes - what I learn on this site, ideas from magazines, diet books, etc. Also on the blank side I'm doing my daily gratitudes - what I'm grateful for in life. And other things I need to focus on - yoga, relaxation, organzing, going to counseling, quitting the emotional eating, going to church, enjoying life more, finding a hobby, etc. Some of it's a take off from the Shape your Life book. For me reading books and magazines, plus keeping a journal gets me back on track. At least I'll be committed here for three months of journaling.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Like Nike says,
JUST DO IT.
Make the decision to do this every single day. Whether you want to or not. Whether you feel like it or not. And whether it is convenient or not.
JUST DO IT.
The motivation will come later.
Make the commitment a ROUTINE.
It will be hard, and you will want to quit or not even start, but like ANYTHING worth having, it'll take effort, patience and discipline.
SO JUST DO IT.
NOW.
Maya
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/see tkr/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats tongue View Post
I do this, too! It really inspires me. So does reading the stories of how people have lost weight. What methods they used, the trials they went through. Surround yourself with success.
MelKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

What I do is I check out weight-loss memoirs from my local library and read blogs like 3fatchicks.com forum for support/motivation! Hang in there!
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I write down all the things that have changed since I've started losing and really try to think about going back.

Greater self esteem, health issues, clothes fitting better ......

Last edited by settie; 11-26-2007 at 09:24 AM.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 258/258/160

Height: 5"9

thank you all so much! im motivated now andim ready to make that commitment to myself. thank you soo very much. i will certainly do your ideas. God Bless You!
jasmine620 is offline   Reply With Quote