General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:00 PM   #1  

Default Best Diet Comment at Thanksgiving

My family and I were invited to a neighbors home for Thanksgiving this year.
It was time for dessert and I asked for two small pieces of pie. One pumpkin and one razzelberry. My favourites. Yummy.

My neighbors were shocked when I only eat the filling and and left the crust behind. I love the filling and at the time I felt that I didn't need the crust.

The group made two comments - first of all that I took two pieces of pie and then; second, that I didn't eat the crust. Who cares! Just let me eat what I want. Of course I didn't say that.

What I did say was "I didn't lose 50 lbs by eating everything. You have to pick what you like and leave the rest."

Any other memorable moments?
OneXSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Many people would consider it ill mannered not to eat the crust. I don't like the crust , either ( too many calories ) but in this instance if I accepted the pie I would eat the crust out of courtesy.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

I'm still surprised that in a forum that are so supportive and accepting, people find it necessary to make judgmental comments about others' choices. We all need to do what works for us, and what we are comfortable with. If you don't agree with what someone else is doing and they are not asking for your opinion, then simply hit your back button.

Just my 2 cents!
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

The filling is always my favorite part of the pie, too OneXSport! Or the bottom crust that has soaked up all the moisture from the filling ^.^
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #5  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

My two cents: it's your choice what you put in your body. If they think it's rude that you didn't eat the crust, that's THEIR problem! I say good for you for not being pressured into eating something you didn't want to eat.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Great comeback!

Great comment, good for you.

What surprises the be-jeepers out of me is that your neighbors would comment...not on one observation, but two. That was the rude part...have they never seen an I love Lucy or 3 Stooges rerun? Don't they know one of the most basic uses for pie??? Was there some lovely coconut creme around? hmmmmmmmmm.
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have looked over the above comments and don't see where anyone made a judgemental comment. I did however comment on the comments made at the dinner about taking two pieces of pie and not eating the crust, it was the neighbors who made the comments and were shocked, my only comment was that some people would consider that to be ill mannered, I also said what I would do about the crust, I did not tell any body else what they should do.If I had been at the dinner I would not have made a comment one way or the other, but some people would ,I thought OneX was puzzled by the neighbors comments and just wanted to point out what they might possibly meant.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #8  
No description available.

I wouldn't think twice about not eating the crust. Learning that I do NOT have to eat everything on my plate was VERY liberating for me (that was not the way I was raised....had to force down everything or face abuse). Some folks who make homemade crusts are very proud of them....but that still falls into the "life's too short" category.

Anyway, nice comeback and way to stay in control of your consumption!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I wouldn't have much problem handling that, weight or no weight. I've never much cared for pie crust. I LOVE pie fillings, but about the only crust I care for is the graham cracker crust of cheesecake.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I read in the paper today that if you leave the crust "behind' you save about 150 calories!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

My family wouldn't have minded not eating the crust, even if I took 5 pieces of pie, so I'm surprised some people would care that much. I'm personally baffled by DH because he's not into crusts that much (pie, pizza, whatever) because that's my favorite part usually. But I suppose it's all personal preference!

Anyway, I think it's great that you decided to bypass the crust since you're not all that into it. That's one of the big things I'm training myself while I'm losing weight this time, to prioritize. I suppose it's all a part of eating consciously and not mindlessly eating everything placed in front of me. (This has been a real lifesaver when my husband's friends come over for football on Sundays. They eat things like bratwurst and cheesecake. A year ago I would have dug in with them, but I honestly don't love bratwurst and cheesecake, so it'd be stupid for me to eat them. I'd probably splurge on pizza and brownies though).

As for Thanksgiving, I can't say I had any memorable moments. I wasn't exactly on my best behavior! I did pass on the pumpkin pie though, because it's not my favorite! (I substituted French silk, yum!)
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

I honestly don't understand people that feel the need to comment on what another person eats. Why do they care? I am constantly having to deal with this at work. During the holidays our nursing unit is literally a food festival. Patients, doctors and co-workers bring in cookies, candy, pies, cakes....you name it, and there is food EVERYWHERE! To be honest, it really doesn't bother me because I try to bring in my own healthy snacks. I'm usually running around anyway and too busy to eat. What bothers me the most are my coworkers who are constantly trying to push me to eat these snacks. I never say I'm on a diet, I always say I've changed the way I eat...and I'm trying to eat healthier foods to feel better. I'm prediabetic and don't want to EVER get full blown diabetes. No matter what, It becomes some sort of battle of the wills. They will say, what's the big deal...it's only 1 cookie, and I'll say...you're right, it is only one cookie...one cookie I'm not interested in eating. It's almost as if they feel like I'm a challenge and they are going to get me to eat that cookie no matter what! Why? I don't know. It's extremely irritating to me though, especially since most of the people trying to fed me are fat too!
I've come to the conclusion that it's their problem not mine. My health is too important to worry about insulting someone, or hurting their feelings. If someone is hurt or insulted that you didn't eat their pie crust....too bad. There are much more important things to worry about, and pie crust isn't one of them.

So....congratulations on sticking to what made you feel satisfied!
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #13  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I think that is great! I love the filling also. I guess if comment just had to be made whether you took 1 or 10 pieces of pie here is my opinion:

1) it really isnt anyone elses business what part you do or do not eat
2) it could be an allergy to flour that keeps you from eating the crust (they dont know you are saving a zillion calories)
3) unless the host comments I would just clearly state "I dont care for the crust and the filling is the best part of the pie anyway, thank you. BTW, (insert host/hostess' name here) the pie was DELICIOUS, THANK YOU for indulging me with 2 pieces"
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

It was pretty embarresing at the time but my parents and sister told everyone how much weight I had lost and everyone had to comment on how great that was, etc. There was about 30 ppl there. I guess I would of rather had them notice on their own, but oh well. I did have one aunt say how great I was looking when I first walked in, but I do suspect that she and my mom talked about my weight loss earlier. lol
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote