General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default What kind of mattress do you have?

We're getting ready to replace ours. About 15 years ago we got a regular box springs and mattress. It's a nice thick mattress. I don't have a problem with it, but boobalah says he does.

He wants to look at Tempurpedic or some sort like that.

Do you have one?

Do you still like it?

After several years, was it worth the money?

Would you buy it again?

TIA
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #2  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Ooooh I love the Tempurpedic and feel that it is worth every pretty penny. My spoiled 8 y.o. has a full sized one which we got for FREE (long story), he's had it for almost 3 years.

When we replaced our own queen sized bed 3 years ago, we went to the furniture store and tried the Tempurpedic and some others, we ended up purchasing a Sterling brand mattress. The salesperson touted it as comparable to a Tempurpedic but with a soft pillowtop.... anyway, at the time it was a teeny bit cheaper than the Tempurpedic model I really wanted and the floor model of the Sterling was pretty darn comfortable. I really like my bed no doubt, but when my son is getting ready for bed and I lay down for bedtime stories, his bed is far superior. If you lay on your back, you can really feel the mattress conform to you and everytime I literally "sigh", it feels so good. No matter which position you sleep, the bed just conforms to you and you get the support where you need it. If you are putting money down for a quality mattress I would go for the Tempurpedic, you won't regret it.

Last edited by melekalikimaka; 11-19-2007 at 04:39 PM.
melekalikimaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

All I have to say is don't buy a mattress from Ikea! oh my achin' back!
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

We're also considering a select comfort one as well.

I'm almost too afraid to find out the costs of these beds.

Last edited by cbmare; 11-19-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #5  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I have a pillow top one, thick and nice, but after 1 year I HATE it. We have had it for 6 years now and I am looking forward to getting a new one soon. The one we bought you have to "flip" every 30 days. It is uncomfortable and sags. I tried a select comfort and it was YUMMY!
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillTryin View Post
I have a pillow top one, thick and nice, but after 1 year I HATE it. We have had it for 6 years now and I am looking forward to getting a new one soon. The one we bought you have to "flip" every 30 days. It is uncomfortable and sags. I tried a select comfort and it was YUMMY!

Have you considered buying a foam topper for it? You can get it at Bed & Bath or Linens & Things. (take your coupon).

It is a memory foam top and conforms to you. Is yours a Tempurpedic or anything like that?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

We have a tempurpedic and i LOVE it. Bye-bye back pain. Seriously. I did a lot of research on account of my back. If you do go the temperpedic route, dont make the mistake of getting an off brand...not worth it from consumer reviews. Dont get a pillow top either. The pillow top defeats the purpose. The temperpeadic works with body heat, if there is a pillow top, body heat cant get to the material appropriately. No need for a pillow top if you have a true temperpeadic, i promise.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a Select comfort but I wouldn't recommend it.

One thing that I have decided that is bad news when it comes to electronic parts is your bed. We had problems with our first pump and we spent many restless nights due to it. We got a refurbished pump and have had less problems but it isn't perfect. Also, you definitely have distinct sides and really need to sleep on your side. I enjoy sleeping near DH but because the way the mattress is designed, it is difficult to do so.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I have been looking at getting a new mattress for awhile and I am totally sold on the Tempurpedic! We went out of town last year and the hotel we stayed at had one, OMG, best night sleep I have ever had. Normally I have to take a sleeping pill when out of town and I have to have my own pillow, this bed was so comfortable that I didn't need my pill!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #10  
Fat-be-gone

I don't know what brand my mattress is, but I do know it has a pillowtop. Getting that mattress was the best thing to happen to me. It is so comfy. I love sleeping in my bed. The first day I slept on it, I did have back pains, but I think it was because I had to get used to the softness and comfiness (my previous mattress was a nightmare).
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
We're getting ready to replace ours. About 15 years ago we got a regular box springs and mattress. It's a nice thick mattress. I don't have a problem with it, but boobalah says he does.

He wants to look at Tempurpedic or some sort like that.

Do you have one?

Do you still like it?

After several years, was it worth the money?

Would you buy it again?

TIA
Tempurpedic Mattresses are a love 'em or hate 'em deal.. In the mattress world they have the highest rate of return (almost 40%, I believe) than any other mattress...but I work for a furniture retailer that just started carrying the Tempurpedic brand about 4 or 5 months ago and I don't see as many of them coming back as I do other mattresses.. but we also don't sell as many of them due to the much higher price tag.
Visco (memory foam) can be great - but it does work with your body heat, so if you sleep warm or like to sleep warm, you may be boiling hot. I've also heard of older people with little body heat never having the bed conform to their body shape....
Also, since they conform to your body shape, that can make it hard to move around and if you are someone who moves a lot when you sleep, you will dislike the memory foam. There are tons of alternative (non innerspring) mattresses on the market now and they all have their positives and negatives, though.
If you do choose to buy one, make sure you are doing so from a retailer with a comfort guaranante (this may have a fee assiociated with it or you may need to pay redelivery) but it's worth it to know that you can return the mattress and choose something else of similar value within 30 or 45 days.
You don't really know if a matt is right for you for about 30 days, that is about how long it takes for your body to adjust, so it is hard to pick out a mattress when all you can do is lay on one for a few minutes/hours in a store.
Most brands of alternative mattresses are also warranteed for about 20 years, which is twice as long as a "regular" mattress, and that is for good reason. Most of them will last that long, but if you have a problem with sags or the like, you can always get it replaced...as long as you have all the original paperwork, the law tags are still on the mattress, you have proper supports (this can be explained to you when you're purchasing), you bought the boxsprings that go with the matt, and it's clean.

Mattreses are different now that they were 15 years ago.. most are one sided and you have to rotate them rather than flip (1x a month for the first 6 months and then once every 3 months thereafter) , and many are much much thicker.. plan to buy new deeper pocket sheets as well. They're all expensive, a higher quality king set can easily run 2, 3, or even 5 thousand dollars but if you're buying a mattress with a 20 year warranty and think about the amount of time you spend on the mattress (at least 8 hours a day) and the number of years you'll be using it, the cost is not so great. (a 5k mattress over 20 years of use is 58 cents a day... too bad you can't pay for them like that! lol!) Many people disregard the quality of thier sleep and go for something cheaper, only to come back in 2 years to buy something else.

ok. i'm done rambling now. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.. I manage a furniture store, well, i DID until today.. i'm leaving because I don't like the atmosphere.. but I can definitely help you with any questions you might have.
karmuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 156/154/135

Watch out for Select Comfort if you are overweight. We stayed at hotel that had these mattresses and it deflated overnight under our weight (about 450 lbs combined with more on one side of the mattress, obviously).

We bought a fabulous Sealy king-sized with memory foam pillow top and, while it's wonderful, at 5'4", I have to climb into it because the mattress is so high. Also, I'm having a terrible time finding a comforter that actually covers the mattress since it is approx 110" from side to side. For those reasons alone, I kind of wish we had gone with the Tempurpedic.
Lafayette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I have a Comfor-pedic which is similar to Tempur-pedic. I bought it because it was a little less firm than the Tempur-pedic, which felt too hard to me.

I really like it, but I can see why that type of mattress has a high return rate. It definitely takes some getting used to. For the first couple weeks I had it, I kept waking up because of the sensation that I was sinking into the bed. But now that I am used to it I don't sleep well on any other type of mattress; they all seem terribly uncomfortable.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #14  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

My parents have a Tempur-pedic and they love it now. However, when they first got it they had trouble with it because it has a very strong smell to start with. Of course they are really sensitive to smells, but it is something to be aware of.

I got myself a 4” memory foam topper and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made in my life. I absolutely love it. I have almost no back pain any more. Of course that could also be from losing weight, but I think part of it is the topper. The best deal I found was on Overstock.com: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...9/product.html

Last edited by NotTheCheat; 11-23-2007 at 10:22 AM.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 AM   #15  
I wanna be a loser, too

karmuz, thank you so very much for all that information.

Ladies, thanks to all of you for your input.

We are even considering a Dux bed.